Training after treatment.

Options
I finished my last radiation and chemotherapy treatments in December 2014. My scan in March indicated I am in remission. In 2 months I lost 50#s(not how you want to lose weight,trust me),
I have been lifting weights and doing cardio on a regular basis. Although it took awhile to see results I am now making strength gains and putting on a little weight.
Has anyone else had success with training after treatment?

I have been here 2 months and this site and community has made a big difference in my fitness journey. Please add me no matter your fitness goals.

Replies

• shortchange1
    shortchange1 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I started back into weight training about two months after my surgery and half-way through my radiation treatments. Unfortunately, I was a little aggressive on the TRX and ended up with a seroma that had to be aspirated a couple of times. I waited a full two more months before doing anything "chest" related.

I did find that my cardio endurance sucked big time after radiation, and still isn't up to where it was. I may have had a little lung damage since I was having radiation to a mastectomy area. I was told that even with the breath-holding to try and keep the chest wall away from the lungs and heart there still was a chance of scarring.
  • CancerSurvivor2014
    Options
    I waited till completely done with treatments before working out. At first I was as weak as a newborn. But now my strength and Cardio is better than ever. But my rests times between lifting sets is getting longer and longer. I think it is due to my thyroid which got fried during radiation. Doc says it is inevitable that it will eventually fail and I will have to go on Meds. Which I am kinda bummed about because I am currently off all scripts.
  • Lena1967
    Lena1967 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Congrats to both of you on being finished with treatment.

When I was originally diagnosed with breast cancer in April 2014, I was just about to start a weightlifting program called New Rules of Lifting for Women. I decided to go ahead and do it during treatment (chemo, surgery, radiation). I also did some low-key cardio on the elliptical machine. I had a lot of complications from chemo and was hospitalized 3 times. Each time I basically had to start over with the amount of weight I was lifting. I think it may have kept me from losing as much muscle as I would have but I certainly wasn't improving much.

I finished treatment for breast cancer in early February and continued with low-key cardio and weightlifting. But in July I had reconstruction surgery that had several complications, and just got back to exercising about 4 weeks ago. I just started Stronglifts 5x5. Again, I have pretty much had to start over with the amount of weight, but that's okay, at least I'm moving!

Cancersurvivor, I'm sorry to hear about your thyroid, but it's good that the medication can step in and replace it. Are you doing a particular weightlifting program?
  • CancerSurvivor2014
    CancerSurvivor2014 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Lena1967 wrote: »
    Congrats to both of you on being finished with treatment.

When I was originally diagnosed with breast cancer in April 2014, I was just about to start a weightlifting program called New Rules of Lifting for Women. I decided to go ahead and do it during treatment (chemo, surgery, radiation). I also did some low-key cardio on the elliptical machine. I had a lot of complications from chemo and was hospitalized 3 times. Each time I basically had to start over with the amount of weight I was lifting. I think it may have kept me from losing as much muscle as I would have but I certainly wasn't improving much.

I finished treatment for breast cancer in early February and continued with low-key cardio and weightlifting. But in July I had reconstruction surgery that had several complications, and just got back to exercising about 4 weeks ago. I just started Stronglifts 5x5. Again, I have pretty much had to start over with the amount of weight, but that's okay, at least I'm moving!

Cancersurvivor, I'm sorry to hear about your thyroid, but it's good that the medication can step in and replace it. Are you doing a particular weightlifting program?

@Lena1967
    For a month or so it seemed as as I was making no progress BUT I kept at it ,,,,, after a few months I was making leaps in my progress. Don't be dismayed with poor performance and endurance.. just keep at it!

My routine is based on an app called Maximum Muscle. I have since lost my phone but luckily I recorded my workouts to my diary here so I use a printout from this site to go by. It cycles through 4 weeks.Heavy,intense,moderate,light).I do it for 12 weeks.take week off then start again. I really like it and I am continuing to make progress with it. I have looked at Stronglifts and it looks to be a good program. I have also been looking at PHUL. I will probably switch to one of those once my progress stalls on my current program.
  • Lena1967
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement! I googled Maximum Muscle and it looks like a solid program. I've also heard a lot about PHUL on the forum lately. I see they are both 4-day a week programs. I prefer weightlifting only 3 days a week at this point, as I really like cardio and feel like I get some good mental benefits from it.

I'm only 2 weeks into Stronglifts so I'm still progressing quickly. I'll probably stay on it at least through the end of the year.
  • shortchange1
    Options
    I'm still progressing, strength-wise, with my weight training and have been able to keep up my mileage on my road bike. Unfortunately, I have another mastectomy scheduled for a week from Tuesday, and that will put me back a ways...right at the start of the eating season (Halloween through Christmas). Oh well, I bounced back once and I can do it again.
  • kaihunter45
    kaihunter45 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I'm still progressing, strength-wise, with my weight training and have been able to keep up my mileage on my road bike. Unfortunately, I have another mastectomy scheduled for a week from Tuesday, and that will put me back a ways...right at the start of the eating season (Halloween through Christmas). Oh well, I bounced back once and I can do it again.

Yes you can and will. Adding you to my prayers. (((Hugs)))
  • Lena1967
    Options
    shortchange1, agreed, you will bounce back, and relatively quickly because you're already in such great shape. Best of luck with the surgery.
  • shortchange1
    Options
    Just had another mastectomy on 10/27/15 and a revision of the previous mastectomy so other than walking and body squats, I'm pretty much out of the game for awhile. I feel like I could do more but learned the hard way that to start too hard, too early ends up working against me. So, except for eating clean, I'm just sitting this one out for awhile.
  • sparkletexan777
    sparkletexan777 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hello~ I'm wondering if anyone out there is taking Tamoxifen and able to train?

I just celebrated my first cancerversary on 12/18/18. I was diagnosed April 2017 and spent the rest of that year doing surgeries, chemo and radiation. I ended it with having to take this DEVIL of a drug, Tamoxifen for the next 5 years. I'm one year in and not only did it throw me into menopause and having to deal with extreme hot flashes, it gives me horrible joint/bone pain. With that said, little by little, I stopped exercising. Now, I'm constantly having muscle spasms in my legs, arms, feet, back and even my rib area. I'm not deficient in anything, that was the first thing they checked, it's literally just a lack of muscle usage. I just starting exercising again after nearly 2 years hopeful that with determination, I can push past the muscle spasms and start leading a semi normal life again.

I was just wondering if anyone out there has had this struggle that wouldn't mind giving me some pointers as to how they overcame the spasm.

Thanks so much...
  • krmsotherhalf68
    krmsotherhalf68 Posts: 122 Member
    Options

...I ended it with having to take this DEVIL of a drug, Tamoxifen for the next 5 years. I'm one year in and not only did it throw me into menopause and having to deal with extreme hot flashes, it gives me horrible joint/bone pain. I was just wondering if anyone out there has had this struggle that wouldn't mind giving me some pointers as to how they overcame the spasm.

Hi sprakletexan777. I was on Tamoxifen for five years w/my first diagnosis of BC (2005), and when the cancer reoccurred (2013), I was on the drug for two years, then switched to Arimidex (generic name: Anastrozole) for the last several years. I was 52 when my cancer reoccurred and not yet in menopause, so my oncologist and I opted for Tamoxifen for awhile - checking my Estrodial (estrogen levels) all the while and switching to Arimidex as I got older.

That all being said, I suffered hot flashes with Tamoxifen and since switching to Arimidex, have terrible night sweats (from the neck up). I don't know if either of the drugs caused joint pain because I was left with arthritis almost everywhere after chemo/radiation and was also at an all-time high with my weight.

I can tell you that once I began eating properly, losing weight, and exercising (chair yoga, Tai Chi, and aerobics for seniors), my body felt a heck of a lot better!

My exercising significantly slowed down last summer due to knee issues (I will eventually need a knee replacement - bone-on-bone in left knee). I fear injuring the knee more with exercising but deep down I know gentle exercising is the best thing for keeping weight off, allowing me to be flexible, and improving overall physical and mental well-being.

I've gotta' get back to eating properly and moving more.

Hope this helps. God bless and Woot-Woot! Congrats on being a survivor!: )

• sparkletexan777
    sparkletexan777 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thank you. My Oncologist wants me to complete 2 years on Tamoxifen then switch me to the same on you’re on. She also told me the side effects could be worse but because all my hormone levels indicate I’m menopausal, I will need to switch in January. I honestly don’t know if it’s the Tamoxifen or as you said, perhaps it was caused by chemo, I don’t know. I just know the bones in my feet hurt as does my hips when I sit too long, it just hurts so much to get back up.

I know I do need to lose some weight and exercise more, I’m a work in progress lol.