Anyone else having a hard time losing the weight while breastfeeding?

Options
cluelessang
cluelessang Posts: 36 Member
It's been almost 2 months since our angel arrived, and I'm only about 20 pounds down from the hospital. I've got another 30 pounds to go. I'm breastfeeding mostly and supplementing because my milk supply is not enough. I've been stuck at the same weight for the past month. I have been staying within my caloric limit (most days), and have added exercise (3-4 times a week) since 2 weeks ago. What gives?

Replies

• marieamethyst
    marieamethyst Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    The ladies in my family don't lose weight while breastfeeding, unfortunately. It was one of the factors I weighed when deciding to go with formula feeding, since I knew me getting healthy was important too, and I needed to drop the weight and my blood pressure quickly.

You're still really early though, and those new postpartum days are rough as your body adjusts. Just keep exercising and tracking calories, and hopefully you'll start to see the drop. If you don't, maybe you're eating more than you think? Good luck, and congrats on your little one!
  • Sweetpeapod2
    Sweetpeapod2 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've heard you'll lose some in the beginning then it will stick until your done bf. I hope not bc I'm ebf!!!
  • Carol_OTB
    Carol_OTB Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    At 6 weeks pp (c section) I´ve only lost 18 and have 18 left to go. I´m ebf and for the past 4 weeks Ivé lost 1 pound a week I just started exercising a few days ago (walking every day I hope to add yoga after dr release) but it is def not falling off like people said it would.
  • graceb02
    graceb02 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am 7-1/2 months pp and lost a lot the first month, then only a pound or two per month since. Actually, I stopped losing altogether about two months ago. In those first few months I had been gradually returning to more healthful meals (like oatmeal for breakfast instead of eggs and bacon and toast! Ha!). Now I'm using this ap and am gradually reducing portions as I learn where the problems lie. So helpful! It's been three weeks and I have started to see the scale move in the last few days! Yay!

I account for nursing as 500 cal per day (I created an exercise to do this), so my goal is 1800-2000 calories in food (not net). So far so good! No supply issues yet! :)
  • JustAnotherGirlSuzanne
    Options
    I lost just over 20 lbs with my first but the last 30 were stubborn as well even though I was breastfeeding exclusively. Once supply was well established I stopped counting the extra 300 calories burned by breastfeeding to my day and i started using my food scale and things started moving again. Slowly, but they did start moving and I didn't have any negative effects as far as supply went. Planning on doing the same this time around.