How did you decide what your goal weight would be?

Options
HuskerJulie413
HuskerJulie413 Posts: 84 Member
edited July 2015 in Social Groups
I am curious how people have come up with their goal weight.

Our clinic diatician actually thinks we should pick a goal in the overweight section of the BMI chart because it's more realistic. I asked the PA later on a visit and she said it's because studies show that health problems go up when BMI is 27 or greater. She said it takes a lot of exercise to stay in the normal range.

Now I would love to have been in that range before but now that I am losing the weight don't I want to be in the normal BMI range even if it's hard? Why is it considered normal then if it's not attainable? I also feel as a person ages they are more comfortable with a higher BMI than when they were in the 20's!

What does everyone else think?

Replies

• oooooKATEooooo
    oooooKATEooooo Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I took my wedding day weight (I was 27 at the time) and added about 13 pounds.
    Just knowing I'll never again be as trim and fit as I once was.
    Real scientific, eh?
  • marallewis
    marallewis Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    My Dr. wasn't going to give me a goal weight until I asked for one. My current goal weight may be a bit soft - it is within 20 of the skinniest I've been as an adult. For me to get into the 170's, I was training for a half marathon and running 5-8 miles a day. I need something that is maintainable - so, she's got me at 198. I think 185 might be a good number!
  • Lisalovestravel
    Lisalovestravel Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I was asked if I had a weight goal. We then discussed what the fancy body scanner showed as far as how many of my pounds are bone/muscle, how many are water, what is normal and how much the scanner recommended I lose for optimum health. It was actually less than my personal goal, though only by 10-15 pounds. I've set my ideal goal weight for 125-135 (I'm 5'3") though if I feel good before I reach that weight I might stop. 140 is my top acceptable weight. The scanner gave me a 144 goal. To be in normal BMI range I need to be 140 or less.
  • HuskerJulie413
    Options
    I really like the way your clinic operates compared to ours Lisa! Like I said in my first post of this thread they actually DISCOURAGED me from picking a goal weight in the normal BMI range! I'm 5'3" too and settled on 145 which is just above the normal range. My goal weight in high school was always 120!! I was usually about 130-135 in high school and college so I am drop my goal to around 135-140.
  • Lisalovestravel
    Options
    Yeah, I dont think it's really fair for somebody else to set your goal, or to discourage you from any positive goal you set for yourself. If we have the determination and tenacity to give up food FOR MONTHS and then work hard to reach a healthy goal, then why the heck can't we determine what that goal is?! I'd take your clinic's goal as your "first" major goal and then proceed as YOU WANT if you want to go past that. It's your body, right?
  • HuskerJulie413
    Options
    Exactly Lisa! Choosing my goal weight should be my choice and shouldn't be discouraged. I suppose they were trying to keep me from being unrealistic. I do have a lot to lose!
  • Lisalovestravel
    Options
    Maybe, though what is realistic when you're losing big amounts? What's an extra 10, 20 or even 50 when you've already lost more than that? You pick whats realistic for your based upon their suggestions and insight and your own knowledge of yourself. If you're willing to do the work and it's a healthy goal, there should be nothing to discourage it. Rock on!
  • HuskerJulie413
    Options
    Thanks Lisa!
  • ESueM67
    ESueM67 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    My goal, despite my username, was never to really reach a certain a weight. My New Direction/Outlook (2 shakes and 1 meal/day) provider helped me (forced me) to pick a goal weight (144#) based on a BMI chart. My personal weight goal is more of one to keep losing until my health care providers and I decide it's time to maintain. Right now I just need to keep making healthy choices. This may not be the ideal choice for everyone, but it has worked for me.

I started this journey in April of 2014 weighing 254 pounds. Today, I weigh 161#, and I feel absolutely amazing. My current, short-term goal is to finally get out of the 160s and "lose" into the 150s, but I'm not in any rush.
  • Lisalovestravel
    Options
    110toLose, you're looking great! My goal weight is just that- a target to aim for. I'm not bound to a particular number. My chief goal is to be healthy and not die or be crippled by a weight related issue. When I feel good, when I like what I see in my mirror- then I'm there. It may or may not be in the range of my goal weight. But I'm a person who needs a destination to plan for, so my 125-135 range is there. I hope to wear a size medium. I want to be blissfully "average" in my weight. I don't need to be skinny, but I've already done the fat thing- and I don't like it! You are all amazing in your weight loss achievements and goals- so inspiring and motivating to me! Thank you!
  • HuskerJulie413
    Options
    I was just thinking about my goal weight today. We had a wedding in the family this weekend and a lot of people ask me how much more I wanted to lose. I've been overweight so long I don't really know how I'll feel at the smaller weights. It would be emotionally nice to wear a medium like Lisa has expressed and not a large, extra-large, 2XL or 3XL! I don't want to settle for a "little chubby" I want to be at a healthy weight but not look like I still need to lose more. Whether that's realistic and what I end up with I still don't know. :)
  • Lisalovestravel
    Options
    It's realistic if you want it to be. You're on the right track!