1st Time Jitters

Options
besee_2000
besee_2000 Posts: 365 Member
I just need some encouragement. I'm exploding with excitement and nervousness. I signed up last Saturday on a whim for my first competition THIS Saturday. I only started Crossfit in July. I fear that I'm going to screw up a movement and totally blow it. My partner is someone I just met on Saturday and only know a little bit about her. We are 1 of 10 teams in the novice group with 60 teams total. Its going to be very busy. We already know for sure 3 of the 4 WODs with hints of the last one. Any advice to keep it together?

Replies

• Mummyadams
    Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
    Options
    How exciting! I've been doing CF for 3 years and still get super nervous!
    All I can tell you is make sure you have everything packed ready to go the night before - take food!, get a decent sleep, try to eat breakfast and just take it one WOD at a time.
    Familiarise yourself with the movements before each WOD, if unsure ask your judge.
    And enjoy it, because before you know it, it will be over.
    Lots of high 5's going you way! Let us know how you get on :-)
  • Keladelphia
    Keladelphia Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Congrats on signing up for your first competetion @besee_2000! I just did my first one a few weeks ago, it was a blast. Everyone was super nice and it was awesome to watch so many people of different levels putting it all out on the table. I'm sure your going to have a blast too :) I agree with everything Mummyadams said above, the only additional thing I would suggest is since you know what the first few WODS are, run throught them completely (with your teammate too if you can schedule it together some how before Saturday). I did that and it made me more comfortable because I had a frame of reference for what time to expect to finish and how fatigued I expected to be after each one. Good luck!!
  • learning2fly4
    learning2fly4 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Just have Fun! Dont care where you place as long as you put your full effort. Its you against you, just like it is any other day in the gym. Good Luck!!!
  • besee_2000
    Options
    Thank you everyone. I do have to remember that @learning2fly4 . I have a very strong desire to win but I need to remember I'm probably very much out of my league in this and should just enjoy it for what it is.
  • besee_2000
    Options
    We took 2nd place in our Women's Novice Division
    1st WOD
    Partner A Row 60 cals while Partner B Holds 55lb deadlift
    then switch
    then 60 Power clean and Jerk time cap of 10 min
    We got to 34 I think, before time

2nd WOD
    6min Max to Snatch Max weight for you and partner but before touching the bar can do as many burpees to add a lb. We did 64 burpees but I only got 62lb up in the snatch. My partner did 78lb

3rd WOD
    A: 5 back squats 55lb then 5 Box step-ups
    B: 10 and 10
    A: 15 and 15... time cap 5min
    We got to 22 Box step-ups in 25 round

4th WOD
    200 Singles each but must be done consecutively
    Hanging knee raises
    10lb medicine ball
    Time cap 11min
    We got to the last round of medicine balls without reps.

Overall very thrilling. My body jumped all over the place with nerves and had to pee like a dozen times. It was a great time sitting with others competing and getting to bond over the experience. I have a lot of room to grow and build off. There is another one in town but requires a bit more skill to sign up so I have goals now to reach in the next month or two to decide if I should try it.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    besee_2000 wrote: »
    I just need some encouragement. I'm exploding with excitement and nervousness. I signed up last Saturday on a whim for my first competition THIS Saturday. I only started Crossfit in July. I fear that I'm going to screw up a movement and totally blow it. My partner is someone I just met on Saturday and only know a little bit about her. We are 1 of 10 teams in the novice group with 60 teams total. Its going to be very busy. We already know for sure 3 of the 4 WODs with hints of the last one. Any advice to keep it together?

Just go in and have fun and try to keep your adrenaline in check (tough to do.) Talk with your judges before each WOD if you have any mobility or form limitations and show them what you can do. I promise you they will work with you.

If you get the chance watch some other teams do the WODs before you. If you are the first heat, obviously that won't work. But sometimes watching can give you ideas about how to maximize your performance.

I'm coming in late, so congratulations on your performance!
  • learning2fly4
    learning2fly4 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Glad it went well and now you have new goals! Competing is always fun and you def learn a ton about yourself. Keep it up! <3