Anyone currently considering Weight Loss Surgery?

Options
TrefG
TrefG Posts: 112 Member
Just wondering if we have anyone who is currently considering WL surgery? Let us know what type of surgery you're considering?

Replies

• behnybaby
    behnybaby Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I have considered this for many years, today I printed the patient history packet. My insurance will change companies in January really unsure if I should wait in case doctor is not associated with new insurance. Or just get the ball rolling and work towards approval as I know it is a long process six months or more and I would have a couple months started and deal with a switch if I have too. I am considering the sleeve, need to get my head past the thought that its a copout that I would be taking the easy way. Dieting doesn't help and neither does the exercising. So I am just going to keep at it measuring and logging and exercising, fill out this 19 page questionnaire.
  • heatherhb_wlj
    heatherhb_wlj Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm in the middle of my pre-op journey I'll be finished the Thursday before Thanksgiving. I'll be scheduling my appointment with my Surgeon then after and my date will be most likely Jan 2016. Not sure if my military surgeons perform over holidays.
  • metalmaiden63217
    metalmaiden63217 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I, too, am completing my pre-op requirements for getting the vertical sleeve gastrectomy. I am in month 2 of my physician supervised diet, have attended the mandatory information session, gotten all of my labs done, and have my pre-surgical evaluations scheduled for November 16. I also have to attend a support group at the bariatric center the first week of December. I will most likely be having my sleeve done March 2016. I am really excited!!! I understand that WLS is only a tool to use along with making necessary and healthier lifestyle changes, but it has really seemed to pull me out a slump of depression I was falling into. I feel like I have a goal to work towards that actually seems attainable. I wish you all luck on your journeys, and please feel free to add me if you'd like. We need all the support we can get :)
  • EmergingDawn
    EmergingDawn Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I am too. I have been to the info session and had my pre-surgical meeting with the dietitian and surgeon. I have a surgery date of Dec 7 so I started the 6 week pre-surgery diet today. I am very nervous about doing this but it has been a 30+ year struggle of dieting, mostly failing and I need a little help in this battle.
  • Jessvaliquette
    Jessvaliquette Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Hi I had Gastric Bypass in March 2013, if anyone has questions please feel free to ask. Thanks

I am Jess 40 years old, I lost total of 105 lbs but I am up 12 lbs at the moment due to some personal issues but going to get them back off. lol.
  • MrsDreamer1974
    MrsDreamer1974 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Hi, My name is Kenda. I will be having Gastric Bypass in two weeks. I started my supervised diet ( 7 weeks) at 398 lbs and as of today 10/31/15 I am down to 301, so I have lost 97 lbs since March 2015. I have changed everything about how I eat, I am now a Vegan and I LOVE it. Most people ask me why I'm having the Gastric Bypass since I have lost almost 100 lbs on my own?? I tell them that losing the 97 lbs was a test to see if I have the right mind set to lose the weight and keep it off. I have learned that I need to eat to live NOT live to eat, there is a very big difference. I am having the Gastric Bypass because it is the "TOOL" that I need to get me to where I have to be, and keep me there :-) I hear a lot of people talk about how scared they are of weight loss surgery, and I get where they are coming from because I am scared as well. But what we need to think about is, if we do NOT have the weight loss surgery how long are we going to live because of our health? My kids say " Mom what if you die from the surgery? " and I tell them, If I do NOT have the surgery, I'm going to die because I'm over weight. At least I'm taking the chance to better myself, and to me that's an amazing step. Anyone who even thinks about having weight loss surgery, is stepping up and admitting that they have a problem and they need help to fix it. That's step #1 :-) Anyway, enough babbling lol. I would love to hear from anyone who has had surgery, I would like any advice you all have :-)
  • heidikat72
    heidikat72 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I am just starting the process to have vertical sleeve gastrectomy. My insurance requires a 6 month pre-op period. I've gone to the general info session and had the initial meeting with the surgeon and nutritionist. I've been putting this off for way too many years because of thinking it was a cop out but now I've accepted that I need this tool and it is definitely not taking the easy way out - it is still going to be a lot of hard work and changing everything about the way I look at food. At 442lbs and having lots of problems now walking due to back pain and knee pain, I have to make a change. I've been able to lose some weight before (lost close to 70lbs in 2012 following a mostly vegetarian diet - eating meat only two days a week - and logging with this app) but have always gained it back. With the help of the surgery and getting counseling to work on my emotional eating, it is time to make this change and make it permanent.
  • BeelzLPL
    BeelzLPL Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Good luck to you all on your pre-op diets etc.
    I am 13month post bypass op and having walked the mile in your shoes can relate to how you are all feeling. If you have any questions etc feel free to message, ask or add me.

I am still under the care of the hospital team and have an appointment in 3 weeks, hopefully to confirm I am still doing well and back on track. (I had family issues last year meaning I plateaued).

I was advised to accept the NHS offer of surgery as many years of weight loss attempts hadn't succeeded in keeping the weight off and surgery was the only option if I didn't want a premature death. I think I had a 14month journey with tests, advice etc before my operation in December 2014 and haven't looked back. I have posted some (very) scary photos in my profile as a reminder to myself and overall have dropped from 390 to about 270 or so lbs, like us all, some lost before the bypass.
  • ceresmark
    ceresmark Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hello. I am working toward the sleeve. As of today, I am at my goal weight. Logging my food intake with a goal of 1200 calories a day has been really helpful. Also measuring my food and counting my chews has helped. I have a psych and nutritionist consult and I should be good to go. Hoping for end of March, beginning of April date. Any tips for the late night munchies?
  • BeelzLPL
    BeelzLPL Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Late night munchies is terrible and tough to break (

I have fruit with the wife in front of TV as a snack and walking. Walking is key afterwards and I use it (still) to either delay food or to think of the hatred of walking in the cold to distract myself from habit eating. It does get easier though as you use protein more than carbs but your dietitian will direct this as sleeve and bypass differs slightly.

Find something you like, whether its carrot sticks or a tangerine. Our brains will force us to eat until we retrain it, so best we can do is eat healthy :smile:
  • keriann1
    keriann1 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm currently on day 7 of my LRD. Hoping to get my op within next 2 weeks. I'm having a sleeve :)
  • baby610427
    baby610427 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I had the VSG on 'Fat Tuesday' - February 28th, 2017. I'm down 31 pounds (51 1/2 overall, from highest weight). How is everyone doing?
  • Snowprincessdec
    Snowprincessdec Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm on my 2nd month of the food journal I have to do 6 months and go every month so she can see what I eat and that I am doing good. And they weigh you and all that good stuff. I don't mind doing it really it is just taking forever. I have had some test done and some blood work done. Next is the sleep study and then who knows. I am just so ready for these months to go by. I can't wait till school starts with my 5 kids they should help the months go by fast. My doctor said if all goes well sometime around Dec I should get the surgery. Here's hoping it all goes good. I have been paying my part and doing everything they ask.