Fibromyalgia for 20+ years and need to lose 60 pounds!

Options
I've lived with fibro for over 20 years. I have actually lost my core muscle strength and am building it back up while I work at losing around 60 pounds!
I look forward to giving and receiving some motivation and positivity. Perhaps the "bad" days won't be so "bad".

Replies

• karenrich77
    karenrich77 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    You can do it sweets. I too have fibro and 24/7 vertigo but only for the last 5 years. I have lost 84 pounds in the last year! If I can do it, anyone can. Here cheering you on xxxx
  • joybedford
    joybedford Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    Hi I too have fibromyalgia and TMJ. My biggest frustration is I want to workout and make myself workout but often just feel too tired. Welcome to the group and you can do it.
  • Byronic_Ryu
    Byronic_Ryu Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Hello, I have had fibromyalgia for 24 years. I was devastated when my muscle tone and fit body slowly began to disappear. I am working to lose 50 lbs and bringing back the body I used to have and still deserve. Best of luck to you and wishing you more good days. :)
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    welcome :)
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Just wanting to put this in here: I was diagnosed in 1999, so, have suffered for a long time! I've never believed we could change the impact of fm on our lives with the foods we eat, UNTIL NOW! I have been able to change the amount I suffer by changing the foods I eat. I've lost a lot of weight in the past (110 pounds) with no improvement, at all, in my fm pain. I have been eating a Low carb high fat (gasp!) Diet, since March. I have seen a marked improvement in flares (almost non-existent), and they don't last near as long when they do happen (two in that 7-8 months). I believe that carbs have contributed, terribly, to my fm pain (now that I can see the difference it can make without them!)! This result was obtained, also, by accident. I didn't begin this way of eating for fm results, but I'm sure glad I did. For info, look at Gainsville Fibromyalgia treatment center. Found after the fact, but this guy is spot on with his dietary recommendations for treatment of us with fibromyalgia. I would have said, "No way" just months ago, but now I know the truth!

I always have said that I would be willing to try anything if it would help with the pain. Most of you have too. But, exactly how far ARE you willing to go? I hope some of you are willing to at least look into it for yourselves, instead of the immediate knee jerk disbelief hat usually comes when anyone might suggest a change in what we eat.

I truly believe that carbs are poison to the fm sufferer (ME)!
  • Jobug8
    Jobug8 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I am currently in bed with a bad fibromyalgia flare up. I also have arthritis all throughout. I will be 38 soon and I have 3 wonderful kids and an amazing husband. I have been battling this for over 12 yrs. I have been losing weight, but it has been slow because of my flare up's. But in total I need to lose about 55-60lbs. So far I am at 27lbs lost. Not bad but I really need to keep going. Exercise is key for me in sticking with eating healthy and I love to work out. But when I hurt I eat badly and I don't do to good. It is nice to know others know what I am going through.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    Karlottap wrote: »

I truly believe that carbs are poison to the fm sufferer (ME)!
    fruit and vegetables are poison?
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    They are for me. An Apple, and a green bean are processed the same way as a candy bar, FOR ME. The improvements I have, and continue to see, are proof enough! I'm an RN, who hasn't been able to work for ten years, and I'm now getting ready to return to work! I never expected this, but it's great!!
  • DarMC
    DarMC Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia in 89. Hello everyone. Please feel free to add me! :)
  • lms0520
    lms0520 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have had Fibro for about 11 years now. It certainly has been challenging and I would love to learn from others as to what works for them. I was doing well with the exercise but fell off my routine while helping with several months of caretaking for two family members who have both now passed away. Now I need to get back to a regular routine. I've been eating low carb recently and I do notice that I feel better. I am struggling with the mindset of starting all over again.
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    Imo, fibromyalgia is a result of the foods we put in our bodies! Over time the poison has made our bodies manifest these pain signals, trying to tell us that somethings wrong! Eating a low carb high fat diet has changed it all for me! I haven't been able to work for ten years because of fibromyalgia! I'm an RN, and am beginning a new job next week!!! I never dreamed I would work again. I am able to use the degree I worked so hard for all because of what I put in my mouth!

I plead with any of you to try the LCHF woe for 90 days and see if it doesn't change your life too!!!
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    Really? Crickets!?

It's what we put in our mouths that cause the majority of diseases today, why would it not be causing the many issues we are seeing today? People need to wake up!

I always said I would be willing to try anything, just to feel better! If you don't try, you'll never know! :smile:
  • Byronic_Ryu
    Byronic_Ryu Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Do you have a support system outside of MFP? Or someone who is willing to make changes with you?
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    It's all been MFP, but has been wonderful support in the LCD group! My hubby has supported me too by not being judgemental, and after seeing my results of healthcare h achievement is joining me!