Getting back on track - my plan

Options
murphyraven
murphyraven Posts: 163 Member
Over 9 months out and I feel I've let myself get off track. I have 25-35 left to lose and I want to keep pushing strong to my goal and beyond. My weight has stalled and my bad habits have started to creep back in. I'm publicly sharing my plan with all of you not for self shaming purposes, but maybe for some inspiration to others who might be in the same boat. Plus as an incentive to follow through on my plan I will be checking in weekly this month.

Food issues -
Fall arrived and my husband who loves to bake has whipped up many delicious creations that are not bari friendly. My willpower to avoid eating these treats has plummeted and when they are in the house I will mindlessly eat what we have on hand. I've also gotten into making homemade bread which is delicious, but not helping my weight when over indulge. So the sugar and excess carbs have really ramped up over the last few months, especially away from meal time where protein would help me not eat the quantities that are affecting my progress.

My plan -
I don't do well with blanket avoidance. By denying myself completely I set myself up for anger at not being able to eat foods I love and eventually will binge or just say f*% it all together and go totally off plan. What I plan to do is work in planned small portions of homemade bread WITH my meal. Starting with dense protein and allowing a few bites of bread at the end or 1 treat at a designated time instead of free grazing (also eating the treat with protein to minimize sugar spikes and overeating). I will also discuss with my husband regarding the treats he makes need to be immediately removed from the house or out of my sight. As when they aren't visible I don't mindlessly reach for them.

Exercise issues -
Its getting cold and dark and my exercise is starting to get put off more and more and excuses are creeping in. I've gotten complacent with just counting the daily walking as my exercise, which is no longer challenging for me.

My plan -
Making exercise a scheduled priority every day. I need to start pushing myself to do more then a gentle walk on the weekdays. I have a gym membership which I will be using a minimum of 3x a week for strength training. On gym off days I will be aiming for at least an extra 20 minutes on top of the walking while at work. Preferably an exercise that gets a bit of a sweat going and my heart rate elevated, or working on something like yoga for flexability.

General plan compliance adjustments -
Vitamins need to become a daily thing - I am setting up Medisafe on my phone to track compliance.
I am going to get the 64oz of water in each day (this has always been an issue for me).
I will track my food accurately by weighing and measuring and entering into MFP. If I eat off plan I need to own up to the fact by tracking it. (I have been very bad at just logging into MFP to not lose the "has logged in XX days" instead of actually using the tool)

Thanks for reading if you've gotten this far. I appreciate the support and inspiration this group gives me.

Replies

• garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a great plan! Good luck to you, you can do this!!
  • rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a great plan to get you back to the habits and behaviors that have been successful for you! Good luck!
  • seaghdha1072
    seaghdha1072 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I am almost exactly in same spot as you...9 months post op and 35 lbs away from goal and feel like I'm slacking. Thanks for posting your struggle you have inspired me to get my act together!
  • Thaeda
    Thaeda Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    You know, this journey is all about figuring out what serves us and what doesn't. It takes time for us to figure that out-- planning, evaluating, changing the plan (if needed), adding stuff, taking stuff out... it is all just part of the process. Sounds like you know what you want to do. Keep being good to you! :)
  • murphyraven
    Options
    Its SO easy to let the bad stuff in especially at work. there were doughnuts left over from a meeting and my immediate knee jerk reaction was to go snag one. But on the way to the kitchen I decided its time to eat lunch instead. 3 oz lunch meat, a cheese stick and a mini apple and I am full. I brought raw veggies for an afternoon "snack" with some low calorie greek yogurt dressing. I can curb this sugar addiction with some effort. Just because its here and free doesn't mean I need to eat it!
  • duffslove
    duffslove Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Great post..I've been struggling the same way the last several weeks. I've been kicking myself in the rear for letting myself slide off my plan and just 2 days ago seriously started getting back to doing what I need to also...You can do this, we all can! Good luck to you :smile:
  • Thaeda
    Options
    Its SO easy to let the bad stuff in especially at work. there were doughnuts left over from a meeting and my immediate knee jerk reaction was to go snag one. But on the way to the kitchen I decided its time to eat lunch instead. 3 oz lunch meat, a cheese stick and a mini apple and I am full. I brought raw veggies for an afternoon "snack" with some low calorie greek yogurt dressing. I can curb this sugar addiction with some effort. Just because its here and free doesn't mean I need to eat it!

Well done! I find I can tell the difference between "convenience eating" and a true craving by filling up on good food first-- if I still have the craving, might be something I should indulge in at some point in the next few days. But more often than not, I find once I eat a good, nourishing meal, I am far less tempted.
  • murphyraven
    Options
    Well, its been a week. here's how I did.

Food -
    I did better, especially at work, at avoiding excess sugar and strait carbs on their own. On the weekend I relaxed a little bit and had a candy bar, some smartfood popcorn and a homemade cinnamon roll. I kept within or very close to my protein and calorie goals.

Exercise -
    I didn't do as well here. We did not go the the gym as much as I wanted. This week I am determined to go at least 3x. I did at least get quite a bit of walking in on Saturday.

Vitamins - I took them 4 out of 7 days. I am terrible about taking them on the weekends and I think I just forgot one of the week days. this week needs to be better.

Water - Highest I got was 6 cups when I was pushing it. I do count my first coffee of the day as "water" (i usually only have 8oz of coffee) I think the lowest I typically consume is at least 32oz in a day (4 cups)

Surprisingly, even with shark week I finally dropped 4lb this week (then regained 1lb this morning, but I don't normally count the regains unless they stay for longer then a week). It may be coincidence as I tend to drop a chunk and then stay level for a month, rinse/repeat.

I'll check in next week (hopefully monday). it really does help me be more accountable knowing I'll be updating this thread with my progress.
  • Thaeda
    Options
    Sounds like you are doing well! Keep being good to you. :)