Anyone have about 40 lbs to lose?

Options

Replies

• christyprunner
    christyprunner Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    kcrow4102 wrote: »
    I have just over 30lbs to lose.. I'm hoping my training for my half and my full will help with this...
    Half maybe but full... Always made me hungrier. I am trying to get weight off to "start" training for full again... Ha

• christyprunner
    Options
    As weird as this sounds, I almost need a daily support group... Like a live feed to check in with daily for accountability. I can't seem to stay on track for a whole day...ugh
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Not to derail the thread too much, but I've been curious about how big of a difference weight makes in overall speed. I've read the articles so I know the claims, and I'm sure they have some sound basis, I just think it's interesting to think about in the big picture.

But to your question... I've raced the last 2 seasons at about 170lbs with some very mixed results. I think my ideal race weight is probably down around 155lbs, but I haven't been that light since college. And considering my affinity for food, I don't see myself getting that low anytime soon. I'm currently around 175-180, so ideally I've got somewhere in the neighborhood of 25lbs to lose to be near my ideal.
  • ActiveApril
    ActiveApril Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I think that weight can have a big effect on speed. I think that training has a greater effect, but just with a loss of 5 lbs I've noticed that I can run faster while my training was pretty much the same. Look up an Excel file called Jack Daniel's Training tables. There are a LOT of data in the spreadsheet - be sure to at least glance over the instructions. But mine was right on. Last year I ran a half marathon at about 122 and my pace was 7:56. This year (same race, same course) I weighed about 115 and my pace was 7:40. w6se5ji17hwg.jpg
  • jinxer85
    jinxer85 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am hoping to lose at least twenty before my next marathon, I know it would really help my times and I would feel so much more confident being out there.
  • christyprunner
    Options
    I think that weight can have a big effect on speed. I think that training has a greater effect, but just with a loss of 5 lbs I've noticed that I can run faster while my training was pretty much the same. Look up an Excel file called Jack Daniel's Training tables. There are a LOT of data in the spreadsheet - be sure to at least glance over the instructions. But mine was right on. Last year I ran a half marathon at about 122 and my pace was 7:56. This year (same race, same course) I weighed about 115 and my pace was 7:40. w6se5ji17hwg.jpg

I agree. I think it can have a big impact!
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    @activeapril-you rocked that sucker this year! So happy for you!

I completely agree that a few pounds can make a big difference, but don't underestimate the difference a year of consistent running can make either. Probably a combo of the two. I think as you get closer to your ideal "racing weight", a few pounds can make a difference of a second or two per mile, but the biggest impact will be training.
  • k_perlinger
    k_perlinger Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    As weird as this sounds, I almost need a daily support group... Like a live feed to check in with daily for accountability. I can't seem to stay on track for a whole day...ugh

@christyprunner I couldn't agree more. That is so my life right now. I probably haven't strung more than one day together since July. That was leading up to the 4th, so no worries I went backwards that weekend. There are moments I'm so disgusted with myself, but I'm not doing anything to change. I don't think the saying "nothing tastes as good as skinny feels" resonates with me.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    When I started running again in January I weighed 50 pounds more than I do today. It really dawned on me the other day how much that is. To put it in perspective, a gallon of water weighs about 8 pounds. I was carrying a case of water (6 gallons) in from my garage to my basement and realized I was carrying about the same amount of weight I lost. Now 50 pounds isn't that much to carry for a few steps. But from my garage, in though my kitchen, and down 20+ steps to my basement is a bit of a workout (x 3 cases). Now imagine me carrying that case of water on a 5k run. Yeah, I'd say I would be just a bit slower.
  • christyprunner
    Options

@christyprunner I couldn't agree more. That is so my life right now. I probably haven't strung more than one day together since July. That was leading up to the 4th, so no worries I went backwards that weekend. There are moments I'm so disgusted with myself, but I'm not doing anything to change. I don't think the saying "nothing tastes as good as skinny feels" resonates with me.

We need to talk!!!
  • carriekwi
    carriekwi Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I lost 50 training for my half this year but recently fell off the wagon and gained back 12. That extra 12 had added almost 1 minute a mile to my times! That's what got me back on the wagon... Never gonna PR like this ;)

• christyprunner
    Options
    I would love to have a weekly check in... Maybe weigh in Wednesday's?
    My first goal race is in March!
  • AutumnBlue4
    AutumnBlue4 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I would love some more friends who run and I'm up for a Wednesday weight check in.
  • janiep81
    janiep81 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I'm in!
  • deannaaaaaaaaa
    deannaaaaaaaaa Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Wait I wanna be in on this too :) I definitely agree with everything posted here so far!
  • christyprunner
    Options
    I would love to have a weekly check in... Maybe weigh in Wednesday's?
    My first goal race is in March!
  • christyprunner
    Options
    If you are in, let's weigh in next Wednesday!!!
    I need some support!
    Training starts next week!
  • jchite84
    jchite84 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I could stand to lose 40, I'd be happy if I lost 20. I can lose while training, but the calorie deficit + training load that I have put on myself in the past has lead to some major crashes and mood swings for me. I'm trying to slow things down a bit, but I need to keep myself accountable in the off season. I'd recommend Matt Fitzgerald's Racing Weight. There are a lot of mixed reviews, but I think there is value in the basics of what he's saying, even if you don't follow the whole plan.
  • christyprunner
    Options
    I have Racing Weight! And have used used his online calculator to figure out how much I need to lose... Not sure I can get down to his racing weight but it sure makes sense why I can't get faster now. I have also looked at his quick start book.

Yesterday I weighed in and was up for the first week.
  • Abakan
    Abakan Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I've put on 12lbs from my best weight at 144lbs, and it's definitely slowed me down even though I have been running a lot more mile per week than I was 12lbs ago. I'm not running at the moment because of a hamstring injury but will be back in training for my next half marathon after Christmas. Right now I'm consentrating on losing the 12lbs and maybe a little bit more and doing plenty of strength and stretching. I'd love to join your Wednesday weigh in group if you'll have me, and I'm up for friends who like to give and receive daily support , so add me if you wish.