Looking for meal ideas, not bread replacements

Options
I've been gf for five weeks and need meal ideas! I went to a gf convention and it blew my mind how many booths there were for cookies and cakes and bread, but not for meal ideas that aren't just trying to replace a food I can't have. I have to watch my carbs, and I don't miss bread enough to think gf bread is a necessity, so it was frustrating to find the focus on what being gluten free makes you miss out on, rather than what is already gluten free and delicious. What recipes do you enjoy that are naturally gf, or just require label watching (I'm thinking of gf oats) rather than trying to imitate wheat heavy foods?

Replies

• SteampunkSongbird
    SteampunkSongbird Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    I make a GF chicken stew that I (and my non-GF partner) love. Skinless diced chicken, sliced carrot, bacon or pancetta lardons, cubed potato, plus a peeled and pierced onion for flavour, go into a stewing pot with a few spoonfuls of Bisto Best chicken gravy. I let it simmer away until I'm sure the chicken and potato are cooked through and add a teeny pinch of salt when it's being served. It's so simple and tasty. I'm quite a plain eater, but I imagine others would enjoy a little rosemary in there too. A big serving is about 660 cals. I find it really filling on it's own, I feel no need for a bread roll or anything with it; like you, I don't find bread a necessity, I hardly eat it, but fresh naturally GF things like meat, eggs, fruit and veg are hard to beat, and often quite healthy. As much as I used to love gluten-filled biscuits and junk food, there's nothing quite like a big bowl of fresh juicy strawberries, a lovely smooth natural yoghurt, or a plate of scrambled eggs with oven-fresh potato waffles. :)

There are so many things available in shops now that are decent quality GF versions of other things, M&S for example have a rich GF chocolate loaf cake that is absolutely spectacular, you'd never know it was GF. Having a quality replacement for a food you liked can make it easier to stick with the GF diet, because you feel you're missing less, which is why I reckon GF companies focus so much on providing or recommending replacements.
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    Pot roast, tacos with corn tortillas, lentil soup, stir fry, chorizo chicken bake, beef stew, stuffed peppers, chicken wings, Moroccan chicken, shepherd's pie, cowboy lasagna...the options are endless really! :smile:
  • angierosso
    angierosso Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hopefully the recipe I posted for the Gluten free pancakes will help you out a little. I have load of recipes, if you are looking for anything in particular. Just let me know.
  • fatfishy
    fatfishy Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I only prepare G/F food for my family as I have coeliac disease and I do all the cooking!
    I make casseroles / stews (thicken with cornflour if necessary), chilli, curries with rice or potatoes in winter. In summer we tend to eat grilled meats or fish with salads and new potatoes.
    The only G/F sub food I buy is pasta for bolognaise meals. I take leftovers for lunches the next day.
    It's definitely better to try and eat naturally g/f as the sub foods are often much higher in fats and sugars than their gluteny counterparts in order to recreate texture or make them palatable!
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Bump up your old pasta sauces with chunkier veggies and meat and then it doesn't need to top noodles, it makes awesome 'stew' with no need for thickeners. Eat more Asian foods, especially Indian and Thai - sub GF soy sauce like Bragg's Aminos or San-J sauces or VH sauces.
  • liltrenton
    liltrenton Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Pinterest has great gluten-free meal recipes...
  • tubbytuker
    tubbytuker Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I am new to gluten free as well and I also have a sensitivity to calcium. I thought pizza was gone for good until I found I could use a gf tortilla as the base, add cooked chicken, peppers, tomatoes and a little goat cheese which I seem to be able to tolerate. Sprinkle with oregano and bake at 400 about 15 minutes. It is awesome!
  • tawanda6329
    tawanda6329 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    You can add me and view my diary to get ideas. I eat everything.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Here's the latest list of top bloggers in the GF world - not all of them are fake-bakers, lol. Some have good general meal recipes too including low carb yumminess.
    https://healthline.com/health/food-nutrition/best-gluten-free-cooking-blogs-of-the-year#11
  • EJBarner
    EJBarner Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Oh gosh, the possibilities are endless! Hard tacos, enchiladas made with corn tortillas, quinoa salad, chili of all kinds, Filipino chicken adobo, West African groundnut stew, Thai curry, butter chicken, daal, shepherd's pie with tomato gravy, ginger beef and broccoli with gf soy sauce, Moroccan stew... I suggest thinking outside the North American/European box! There are so many different cuisines all over the world to draw from with so many options between them!

I'll add you, as my diary is open to friends and nearly every meal I make is gluten-free (my partner is celiac).