What to do on rest days?

Options
Hi,

I am 5'7" and weigh 174 pounds. I started CF last month, have been doing strong lifts for the past one year but obviously wasn't fully prepared for what's coming.
I try to do CF 3 times a week, but trying to increase it to 4 days
Suggestions on what to do on rest days? I always think why not take complete rest and go back to CF the next day or if I have to push and workout might as well go for CF only. Thoughts?

Replies

• Elegra2006
    Elegra2006 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Work on mobility - stretching, yoga, pilates... whatever works for you. It will come in soooooo useful for CF.

You could also play around with practising any of the skills that you're struggling with ie. double unders or handstands.
  • noel2fit
    noel2fit Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I like jogging and yoga, but that's just me. We don't do enough running at my box- I feel silly when jogging is a weak point... Yoga for mobility, specifically my hip which was has been injured a few times. Most of the people I've talked to agree that they like working on mobility and weaknesses on rest days, but sometimes you should take a rest rest day and focus on getting plenty of sleep and really relaxing mentally and physically.
  • kellystuart11
    kellystuart11 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I've been going between 4 and 6 days a week and if I push for that 6th my body feels absolutely wrecked. I would take advantage of the rest days and do yoga or light cardio, but nothing really challenging. Mobility from yoga and stretching is so beneficial.
  • anupriyasin157
    anupriyasin157 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone!
  • jbuck93
    jbuck93 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    We have a mobility class on Thursday, so I try to make that my rest day. I have been known to hike, bike or just be a slug. Depends on how wore out I am and how many times I am going. When I started 3 days a week wrecked me, and I didn't do much more than walk on my off days.
  • Mummyadams
    Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
    Options
    I try to take at least 1 x complete rest day a week. other days I'll walk or do a CF Lite (no weights) class. I listen to how I'm feeling.
  • Merrysix
    Merrysix Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Pilates 2x per week and take off 1 day per week.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    oftentimes I'll just go for a walk or something, then do mobility afterwards. Very low intensity. Literally walk around a nearby pond and see what wildlife I can find.
  • toffee2013
    toffee2013 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Another yoga fan :)
  • Inkratlet
    Inkratlet Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I am 5'7" and weigh 174 pounds. I started CF last month, have been doing strong lifts for the past one year but obviously wasn't fully prepared for what's coming.
    I try to do CF 3 times a week, but trying to increase it to 4 days
    Suggestions on what to do on rest days? I always think why not take complete rest and go back to CF the next day or if I have to push and workout might as well go for CF only. Thoughts?

Is there a good CrossFit gym in Bangalore, out of interest? We have a big office there and I might need to travel some time.

• Kennesaw24
    Kennesaw24 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Yoga! Find a great teacher and stick with it. You will come to love it and the strength gained from XFit will be obvious.
  • Merrysix
    Merrysix Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Pilates -- great to stretch out the sore muscles
  • GabriellaVioletta
    GabriellaVioletta Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Active Recovery - light run, yoga, mobility, swimming, cycling. Keep moving in some way or another with much less intensity.
    This website is great - http://www.mobilitywod.com/
    Also download the Yoga Studio App, it's like having a free Yoga Coach in your lounge or bedroom :smile: