Marathon training plan for beginner

Options
Hello!

I am running my first full marathon in May 2016. I am looking for an effective training plan. In the past, I've used Hal Higdon's plans for half marathon training. However, his full marathon beginner's plan peaks at the 20 mile long run. I've looked at a few other plans and noticed the same thing.

Maybe it's just me but I find this odd - I mean, you still have 6 more miles for completion. Will your overall running volume help you through the last bit of the race? Does anyone have any insight on this?

Thanks,
Crystal

Replies

• VanderTuig1976
    VanderTuig1976 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I forgot to mention that I'm looking for 16 week training plans.
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    For most beginner runners, and some more advanced ones. The time taken to run 20miles is already at the upper limit of how long you can run, and still recover from in reasonable time. Extend past that, and the recovery time outweighs the benefits from the run.
    Overall volume, especially if ran at the correct pace will definitely get you over the line on race day.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    @taeliesyn nailed it re: 20 mile max long run. For most beginning runners, that's going to be the longest they can run during training and have time to recover/resume training. By the time you get to the race, you've done some 18 and 20 mile runs, you've tapered and are rested, and you can trust that your training will get you through the final 6.2 miles.

That said, I used Hal Higdon plans for my first two marathons, modifying them to my preferred schedule, and they prepared me well for race day. If you've used his plans for HM before and liked it, I'd recommend sticking with him.
  • sirsuggs
    sirsuggs Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I use Runtastic to track my runs and they have a 16-week marathon program put together by Dieter Baumann (Gold member feature). I used that to train for my first marathon. I set my goal to run it at in 3:30 so for the long runs were set by time, not distance. The max time for long runs was 3 hours so my mileage on those runs were in the 18-22 mile range. I can see why you're worried about those last 6 miles, I was also nervous about it. Just find a program you like and stick with it and you'll be fine.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Ditto what everyone has already said, but also wanted to add that the number one thing you can do to best prepare yourself for your training is to go into it with a decent base mileage in your routine leading up to beginning your plan. The number one thing that is going to dictate the ease of your marathon is going to be your overall cumulative mileage, not how far you run on your long run. The more weekly miles you average in training, the easier the run will be. If you find a plan you like, but it feels like you are ahead of it in mileage, don't be afraid to add a mile or two to some of the midweek easy runs.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Also, not everyone agrees that you should even do 20 miles. Here's Dr. Jack Daniels' take on marathon training. He cuts a long run at the lesser of either 1) 2-1/2 hours or 2) 25% of your weekly mileage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EO1hQ_kplgo
  • PeteWhoRuns
    PeteWhoRuns Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    As others have mentioned, 20M is a reasonable distance to get the adaptations needed for a full, without all of the wear-and-tear on the body. For my first full, I followed a Jeff Gaudette plan available on RunKeeper. It gradually built up to three 20M longs, a couple of which also had a 10M the day before to simulate fatigue, without beating you up quite as much as a full 26.2 will. It went pretty well the first time around. After tapering, your legs will feel ready and the base you've built up will bring you the last 10K of the way.
  • mountainrun73
    mountainrun73 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this question - I am also looking to complete my first full marathon in May 2016!
  • c1ownfishie
    c1ownfishie Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    My marathon training plans always peak at 20/21 miles. The last 6 miles are totally doable on race day. Like others have said, the cumulative miles you run are far more important than the length of individual runs. Good luck with training!!!
  • STrooper
    STrooper Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    As I've gotten further into this marathon thing (and I waited to get started for my first marathon at the age of 60), I have gradually come to the realization that while the distance of the long run is the thing people hear so much about, it is the nature and the quality the run AND of the other runs that actually prepares you for that last 6.2 miles. Yes, the long runs are generally endurance builders. But the other runs have specific purposes in triggering the training effect.

The plan I am currently using for training has me run three different 20 mile runs over the 18-week plan (I just completed week 3).
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    At one point my open marathon PR came off of a training block that had my longest run at 18 miles. However I did a bunch of 18 mile runs on consecutive weekends. Also had a Half Ironman in there. And it came at the end of a very long season of training.

Going all the way to 20 for the long run is not at all necessary. Running is hard on your body, especially long runs. 20 miles for a beginner is sure to beat you up pretty badly and will take a few days to recover from. Best to only do that once in your plan if at all. Running a marathon is all about the 700-1000+ miles you run in preparation, not about any single long workout.

That 2.5hr mark is probably a good starting point for figuring out how long should your longest run be. If you are looking at taking 3hrs for any one training run you need to consider if that is a good idea, or if it will really wreck you.

It also depends on what speeds you hold, though, I guess. I will do a 22 mile training run in just a shade over 2.5hrs so for me that works, but I wouldn't recommend doing a 22 mile run for someone running in the 9:00 or 10:00mm range.
  • veganbettie
    veganbettie Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    this is scary. I have my first Marathon on the books of May of next year and halfs are taking me 2 hours and 40 freaking minutes....
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    this is scary. I have my first Marathon on the books of May of next year and halfs are taking me 2 hours and 40 freaking minutes....

that's still a respectable pace.
  • daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    @veganbettie Marathons are not just tests of physical endurance, but mental as well. I enjoy the scenery and think about random topics when I run to help pass the time. @VanderTuig1976 There are tons of 16 week plans out there for free. Runner's World Smart Coach has really good plans and are free as well...it will give you paces based on prior races. Good luck, have fun!
  • VanderTuig1976
    VanderTuig1976 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your input - I appreciate it very much!!! I now have more confidence in my training plan!
  • veganbettie
    veganbettie Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    moyer566 wrote: »

thank you. I started to panic. I may not be fast but I give it my all damnit!

• STrooper
    STrooper Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    moyer566 wrote: »

I agree. Generally speaking, as you train for the full marathon, you are likely to find that your times for the shorter races improve with increasing endurance.
  • Runningman_78
    Runningman_78 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I just signed up for my first marathon in June so this thread has already been helpful...now to get out running!
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,197 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I just signed up for my first marathon in June so this thread has already been helpful...now to get out running!

This thread has made me want to start training for a full marathon... I'm fully crazy. I just did a half a few months ago and swore I'd never run again when I was done. Yup... I be crazy. *runs off to find a beginner marathon training plan*
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    JustSomeEm wrote: »

This thread has made me want to start training for a full marathon... I'm fully crazy. I just did a half a few months ago and swore I'd never run again when I was done. Yup... I be crazy. *runs off to find a beginner marathon training plan*

GMC-275%2BDory.png