Still Deciding

Options
lhmasters
lhmasters Posts: 3 Member
I've been on the preoperation diet for the sleeve surgery for almost a month, and have lost 6 pounds. I've gotten my psychological clearance as well, but I'm still deciding what to do. I've been sidelined from my normal exercise routine by lower back pain for two years, and recently (finally) went to a spine surgeon and had xrays. Found out I have a Pars Defect in one of my vertebra which is basically like a fracture, which causes it to move out of place. They can do surgery to fix it, or you can take muscle relaxers, strong NSAIDs, and get injections to manage the pain. I feel like maybe I should take care of the back surgery first, because with the sleeve, I won't be able to take the pain meds. So maybe if I take care of this and can get back to exercising, the weight will come off without the surgery. I am barely above a 40 BMI, no other health issues, and need to lose about 70-80 pounds to get to where I want to be size wise. Any advice?

Replies

• Thaeda
    Thaeda Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I found that many of my physical maladies improved as I lost weight. That may not be the case for you, but it is what happened to me. I believe we all have an inner wisdom that can offer us guidance at points of decision. My suggestion is you offer an intention each day to be shown what is best for you, and then keep your eyes open for the message. :) Be blessed.
  • grim_traveller
    grim_traveller Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    There's no reason you can't take pain meds after WLS.

Most of us delay surgery for at least a few years, thinking we can lose weight without surgery. We end up packing on more pounds instead, and when we do have surgery, we kick ourselves for not having done it sooner.
  • BringingSherriBack
    BringingSherriBack Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I know having WLS and losing the pounds tremendously helped my joint issues. Before I lost the weight, my hips, knees and ankles hurt so bad most days it hurt to even walk. My knees were so bad that I was not only on strong NSAIDS on a daily basis, but also had cortisone injections and Synvisc injections in my knees every six months (that is how often the insurance would pay for them) and even at that I couldn't exercise because it hurt just to walk.
    I had my last round of injections about 1 month before WLS 4 years ago and haven't had them since. I also no longer take NSAIDs on a daily basis for pain.
  • rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Ditto. My hip arthritis was to the point where it hurt to walk every day and playing golf or basketball would have me noticeably hobbling for two or three days afterward. I was taking NSAIDS regularly. Since losing, the arthritis is still there in terms of flexibility, but the pain is gone, golf/basketball/exercise no longer has a long lasting effect.

I was abusing my joints every step, now I only do it for fun!

Rob
  • lhmasters
    Options
    It is really encouraging to hear how the sleeve surgery has helped with joint issues and aches and pains. I have plenty of those on top of my back issues. I am going to meet with my family doctor, bariatric surgeon and spine doctor all within the next two weeks. Hopefully we can come up with a plan that will make the most sense for me.
  • gardendoc
    gardendoc Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    After my VSG in March I've found that my chronic back pain that has plagued me for years is greatly reduced as well as just general joint pain I've also had. Have stopped taking my Celebrex and other pain meds. It's wise to get all of your doctors in on the decision. Good luck
  • lizadaze
    lizadaze Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    My advice is that if you can keep losing some weight without the surgery, then do that and take care of your back issue first. Losing weight will help your joints, no matter how you lose the weight. If you can lose the weight without the surgery, then certainly do that. While the surgery helps and is a great tool (I had my VSG two years ago), you still have to do the work and follow the diet to keep losing weight. I also had a lot to lose (nearly 200 pounds), so I think if I had less than 100 pounds to lose, I would not have gotten the surgery.

I can tell you that if you can follow a good diet, you'll lose weight. Some exercise that doesn't hurt your back would be good too. You might actually try following the Five Day Pouch Test diet. While this program is meant to help those who've had surgery "refind" their tool and restart their diets after a plateau, it is actually a very good diet and eating plan to follow that has definitely helped me get back on track. I had turned back to eating too many carbs and sugar, which thwarted my continued weight loss. I'm about half way to my goal and now feel like I can restart my progress again. The recipes in the 5DPT diet are good, healthy, easy and focused on eating protein first. If you can do all this without the weight loss surgery, then that would be terrific. Of course, most of us have failed at doing that time and again. But like you said, you are barely at a 40 BMI and want to lose another 70 pounds or so. If you just lost around 5 pounds per month, you'd reach your goal in just over a year. If you can follow the surgery diet as if you DID have the surgery, then you will probably lose the weight.

The pain meds for your back will be difficult after WLS. That has been difficult for me at times when I can't take the same pain meds. So I agree with you this is an important consideration for you.

Whatever you decide, good luck to you.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I have arthritis and a compressed disk in my lower back. Losing 160 pounds has pretty much eliminated the daily pain. I really don't feel the pain in the back, hips, knees or feet 99% of the time anymore. As for the pain relievers, one of the reasons I chose the sleeve is the ability to take those pain meds you mention. Per my surgeon, and they are all different, I can take almost anything once healed. And at 4.5 years out I do. On those rare days when I'm in pain I take Aleve. I have no issues with it at all.
  • lhmasters
    Options
    Thank you all so much for sharing your experiences with me. I saw my family doctor today, and he has encouraged me to go ahead with the surgery! I will meet with my surgeon Thursday and let him know I plan to move forward. We have a cruise booked for January, so I will be looking at mid-late Feb for a surgery date. Looking forward to being part of your kind group on MFP!
  • tat2cookie
    tat2cookie Posts: 1,902 Member
    Options
    lhmasters wrote: »
    Thank you all so much for sharing your experiences with me. I saw my family doctor today, and he has encouraged me to go ahead with the surgery! I will meet with my surgeon Thursday and let him know I plan to move forward. We have a cruise booked for January, so I will be looking at mid-late Feb for a surgery date. Looking forward to being part of your kind group on MFP!

I'm so happy to hear that!!