Holding steady?

Options
Deena_Bean
Deena_Bean Posts: 906 Member
I've been climbing my way up the weights and I'm at a point with most of them that I am really struggling. I don't look forward to the lifting because of the time it's started to take for me to get through it. I lift in the mornings and it becomes a rush when I fail and I'm supposed to wait 5 minutes until the next try. I love what the lifting does, don't get me wrong, and I have no intention of stopping. What I'm wondering is, does it sound fine to find a high enough weight where you struggle some (but not 5 minute rest period, struggle) and just hang out there until you feel like it's "easy" and then bump up? I'm pretty strong now (in my opinion), so I'm not too concerned about being weak...I am concerned about time, though, and at this rate these lift days can easily take an hour or more with the rest periods and warm-ups worked in. I need to find a happy medium, but I don't want to sacrifice too much on either side. What do you all think?

Here's where I'm at:
Squat 130 (failed Wed, completed today)
OHP 85 (failed today, terribly, 80 was a near miss on Wed)
Bench 80 (it's getting tough, but still manageable)
Row 80 (same as bench)
Dead 140 (it was hard, but not impossible)

The OHP is my first taste of the "take 5 minutes and try again" - and I was like, "What? I don't have 5 freaking minutes, I'm already running behind!"

I just don't want to stop doing it because of the time, so that's why I'm considering finding a weight that is still a challenge to me and staying there a while until it doesn't feel challenging. Maybe get some fractional plates and very slowly build from this point on? I don't know...

Replies

• bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    The only way I've been able to keep getting stronger is by continuously adding more weight. I was stuck squatting 50kg for almost 2 weeks, but with the encouragement of all the fine folks in this community I pressed on and got over it.... now 50kg seems easy. I would keep going until you fail 3x and have to deload, but that's just my opinion. I also never wait more than 3 minutes, even when I fail. :tongue:
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I never waited for 5 minutes after a fail. My attention span and time frame just would not allow for it. Fractional plates might help you progress a little bit but when it comes to rest times I always just treat them as guidelines.
  • scrittrice
    scrittrice Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's time to move to an intermediate program? That's what I did, not because I stopped progressing (though it had definitely slowed) but because 3x5 was taking up so much time. But I think you can progress in lots of different ways: by adding reps to sets or by altering the lifts slightly so that they're more challenging. Finally, best investment I've made in ages was a pair of bat donuts, 1.25 pounds each and they fit perfectly over a standard barbell. I believe they were $7.59 apiece.

Also, this is useful for gauging where you are:
    http://www.exrx.net/Testing/WeightLifting/StrengthStandards.html
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    I always found some of them harder to increase in general so ended up stalling or doing more de-loads, namely upper body. I stalled and went slow a fair amount on OHP and if I'm remembering enough posts correct, others don't increase much on that one as well. Row has been a stall-ish one along with switching between bent over and pendlay. Bench is a slow one too, for me, though has increased over time but the upper body can't compare to the ones like squat or deadlift. I did stall sometimes on those but part of it was more mental than anything. Anything above 185 on deadlift has felt really heavy but I can still lift them despite the doubt that shows up at times. So, part of it is gauging when you want to stay at a weight a little versus a de-load or even pushing forward if you're uncertain but haven't really failed at the heavy feeling lift.

I did like doing the 3x5 though, I will admit. I did that after I switched back from NROLFW. And I'm liking the power days on PHUL because I can do 3 or 4 sets of 3 to 5 reps, just depends on how things are going that day. 5x5 did start to take me a while, I remember, but I didn't mind at the time. Last nights hypertrophy lower day took just under an hour and I've added an extra lift to it (good mornings, which I do between lunge sets). Still need micro plates or something but put that on my christmas wish list.

Also, nice numbers. I was just glad to hit 85 for one on OHP when I did my max rep testing. You're doing great and the numbers will go up over time.
  • Deena_Bean
    Options
    Good thoughts, thanks. I know the OHP is one of my weaker points, so I'm not sad about it. I seriously, though, above all else LOATHE the squats. I'm starting to positive talk myself though, because I also notice the most positive things about my body changing are directly related to them (perkier bootie, less dimples on my legs, less jiggliness when walking). I won't stop doing them because I know their value. When I did 130 on Wednesday my legs were shaking like crazy and my knees wanted to cave in. Today I was less shaking, less caving of the legs and I pressed through. My form wasn't so great, so I think I should do 130 another time or two and make sure I'm "proper" before moving on. Creeping up slowly doesn't bother me, though, and I think it may save my sanity LOL. Also, I'm SO glad to hear that most people sort of wing the rest period as needed. I didn't wait the 5 min this morning. It may or may not have affected my overall performance, but I would be all kinds of bored waiting around, so I guess I'll deal with shorter breaks and more frequent fails LOL. Whatever keeps me moving along the program. If I change up the program it might help some. I'll have to consider some changes to help keep me around 45 minutes or less for lifting. It's too rushed otherwise and I'll end up quitting it.
  • indianarose2
    indianarose2 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I'm a novice according to standards and have been lifing heavy for under a year so take this with a grain of salt(what the heck does that even mean?! going to have to google it)
    I was making very slow to no progress and someone suggested on my FL to check out programs with less volume. I then read the sticky here on what to do after 5x5. She mentions that if you are dreading the 5 sets or not making progress to consider 3x5...so I have. Only 2 workouts so far but was finally able to increase he weight I was lifting and have time for accessories. Just putting that out there for you to consider. I honestly have no idea what the difference in results are from doing 3x5 vs 5x5. So much more to learn on the subject... Best wishes!
  • mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I also switched to 3x5 once I find I was dreading those squat workouts. I am on a deficit too, so 5x5 was just too physically and mentally draining. Now I do ICF 3x5 and I really like it.
  • Deena_Bean
    Options
    I am going to have to try that, I think. I do feel the complete disdain about squats. I don't want to do it so my drive to get up in the morning has faded. I have meant to the last two mornings, but haven't. Granted I have acceptable reasons, but I still feel the twinge of completely wanting to avoid it. So I think I'll go that route...thanks for the suggestions!