When Metformin backfires

Options
Dragonwolf
Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
So, I've been on and off Metformin for five or six years, now. The longest stint was a little over a year. I've used both the regular and extended release, and it's nearly always been a high dose (because that's the only time it's been effective).

This last time seems to have been the last straw, though. Although it worked for me the first time I went on it and was pretty key to me getting pregnant, it seems the only thing it's been doing for me of late is cause side effects and not actually help me.

This last time, I ended up with food aversions (which seems to actually be a common thing for me, since, on reflecting back, I had them from the beginning of both times I've used the standard version), which resulted in me eating foods that I've found over the years to be counterproductive to my goals and most likely to set me back. And it set me back.

Over the years, I've found that I do better when I don't consume starches and sugars, especially, and I do best when I maintain a very low carb, high fat diet. The Metformin, however, had other plans for me, and caused aversions to the very foods that I thrive best on. It left me feeling sick at even the thought of the foods that I should be eating, and the only things that were appealing and wouldn't cause me to feel sick were...starches and sugars. The very things that would cause me to gain weight and worsen both my acne and hirsutism, completely defeating the purpose of being on the Metformin to begin with.

So, yeah, suffice to say, Metformin and I have agreed to see other people. ;)

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I don't think I personally developed aversions, per se, or at least not that I noticed. I did however have some violent side effects (think explosive bathroom visits - with the "after burn" lasting hours/days). I either had to carb load like crazy to stave off the liquid bile "venting" or I had to go crazy low carb, avoid dairy, vinegar, and many other foods critical to my low carb success in order to not suffer bathroom he!l... In the end, I have worked to bring my levels down lower myself, and Metformin and I are no longer seeing each other either...
  • jmzz1
    jmzz1 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    I am suffering from skin irritation by consuming metformin, chromium picolinate, vitamin B tablets . It gets so severe that it ends up me using high doses of steriods

still figuring out what is wrong with my body since any tablet is not being accepted by my body
  • Deena_Bean
    Deena_Bean Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Metformin can kiss my *kitten*. I had to take it to get pregnant and it had me barely making it to the bathroom. It was the most awful, uncomfortable thing I've ever experienced by taking something 'helpful'.
  • stefne888
    stefne888 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I will never take Met again.