I am looking for an active horse group!

Options
It is challenging in the winter especially through the holidays to keep on track with my eating and get outside with my horses consistently. I really need to find an active/supportive group of people who can help each other through the hurdles and struggles of losing weight and riding/horse goals. Is this group active or is there another group that anyone can point me to?

Replies

• klkarlen
    klkarlen Posts: 4,366 Member
    Options
    You might just try sending friend requests to some of the folks in this group, and get some like-minded interaction that way? At least you know that the folks here are horse people.
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    Agreed. I keep trying to get things going, but haven't gotten much traction. :(
  • Okapi42
    Okapi42 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I've been away, but I'm back to this group now!
  • WyomingJewel
    WyomingJewel Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    So glad to see you guys on here!
  • Okapi42
    Options
    So, reports! What have you all been up to with your noble steeds this weekend?
  • WyomingJewel
    Options
    I rode my horse Rahsi bareback for the first time today he only has about 10 rides total. My husband led him for the first time around the round pen then I took over after he unhumped his back. :) I will ride him bareback through Tuesday in the round pen bareback then head out into the open With a saddle. :)
  • Okapi42
    Options
    Nice! Sounds like you're making good progress there!
  • Mouse_Potato
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Nice work with your boy, Jewel! My horse is too green for me to ride while still in a cast, but I rode a 24 year-old gelding named Quinn who decided we were only turning right this weekend. Silly, silly boy!

I brought my girl some cookies, but she had to fight her way through the mud and the other mares to get them. She just got moved to a more aggressive pasture as she was beating up everyone in the last one. :open_mouth:
  • Okapi42
    Options
    Hmmm, I suppose you just have to turn a three-quarter circle right, then!

The Blackest of All Creatures and I went on a hack alone today - out among the scary open fields on a really windy day - we had a yellow storm/wind warning by this evening! He was very good, even though I had to coax him past a bulldozer at one point.

Shortly after, we met four track-suited village youths, one of whom was showing off his new dirt bike to his girlfriend and two buddies, loudly revving the engine.

He spotted me, waved, apologised and turned it off until we were well past, even though that took a while - there was a piece of fluttery plastic ribbon that Jackson felt required him to dance a jig.
    Teenagers these days, eh? ;)
  • WyomingJewel
    Options
    Sounds like you both had grand adventures with horses last month, between only turning right and bulldozers! I have discovered that I am turning into a fair weather rider. :) Horse pens have snow drifts so high that we are going to spend the weekend digging out the gates. :neutral: We will be changing the setup of our pens this summer! :wink: It may be February before I get true horse time.
  • cowgirlsrope
    cowgirlsrope Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have been away a long time but am now back. I feel like a whimp. Built an indoor last summer, but in my defense I have been doing ground work at night when it is 15 degrees. No wind makes all the difference.
  • Mouse_Potato
    Options
    I don't have weather as an excuse (unless it's monsoon season), so i got out this weekend and rode my girl and she was an absolute delight. The rest of the horses seemed to all have "teh dumb" as the temperature has been going up and down quite a bit, but my girl had her head on straight.

Just had to brag. <3
  • Okapi42
    Options
    Frozen ground limited our riding here, too - though we've had a temperature increase of over 30° in the last week, so it should be possible to do more than hack out again this weekend!
  • Mouse_Potato
    Options
    So, my girl was being a tool yesterday. We had another cold front come through and everybody was being stupid. She was paying attention to pretty much everything but me. Didn't want to keep a steady pace, tossing her head around, just generally not in the mood to work. So, I pointed her at some small jumps and suddenly all that stopped! She was focused, straight, steady, and... fascinated! Looks like I'm going to have my hands full with this one. She gets bored quickly! :smiley:
  • crimsongrey
    crimsongrey Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I didn't see this group before I started a new one http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/117046-equestrian-athletes. I too am looking for an active group to help keep me motivated as I get ready for my upcoming winter show season.