Getting through the holidays!

Options
cobwebel
cobwebel Posts: 114 Member
How do you plan to keep on track through the holidays? What are some strategies for staying the course while enjoying you self?

Replies

• squeeeyk
    squeeeyk Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I'm bringing roasted brussel sprouts instead of pie to thanksgiving dinner. It will be the first year ever that I've not made pie or some dessert. I'm hoping to fill up on veggies and turkey. Not much of a sweet eater, so I'm not too concerned with how I will fare.
  • morgancs21
    morgancs21 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Avoiding them completely. I am supposed to have a dinner tonight and 3 tomorrow. I don't want to offend anyone if I only go to 1 sooo my plan is to just avoid them all
  • lesliewynn14
    lesliewynn14 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I'm smoking a turkey so there won't be any gravy. I'm also going to throw some sweet potatoes in the smoker to bake instead of the sweet potato casserole. Instead of the green bean casserole I'm roasting fresh beans with a little bit of olive oil and salt. I'm skipping the biscuits and dessert. I've got some mangos and watermelon cut up for a healthier dessert option.
  • cobwebel
    cobwebel Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I'm smoking a turkey so there won't be any gravy. I'm also going to throw some sweet potatoes in the smoker to bake instead of the sweet potato casserole. Instead of the green bean casserole I'm roasting fresh beans with a little bit of olive oil and salt. I'm skipping the biscuits and dessert. I've got some mangos and watermelon cut up for a healthier dessert option.

I LOVE smoked meat. Awesome!
  • squeeeyk
    squeeeyk Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Mmmm. Smoked turkey. So good!...One year we did a deep pit turkey. It was so delicious. I think I'm just a turkey lover, lol.
  • cheloldroyd
    cheloldroyd Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I'm in the UK so we don't celebrate thanksgiving, but I am going on vacation next week for a fortnight. Plan on sticking to veg and fish options as much as possible just to try and keep the calories down. Don't think I'll track much whilst away (WiFi is pants) but hoping that by making the healthier choices the fallout won't be too bad when I return home :smile:
  • rjan91
    rjan91 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I plan to make sure I have things to eat. When asked to bring a dish, I bring something that I can have. I also make sure that I pack a small bag of things I can have in case there are not a lot of choices I can have and I'm not hungry. I also will plan to save some calories to have for a bigger meal. Also, I know a lot of members look at your calorie count over the entire week, so if you blow a day, you can make up for it throughout the week. I think that this is doable. When you think about it, a lot of times during the week of a holiday you are racing around trying to get things done and probably under calories. I would still track everything the best that I could and look at the week as a total. I will also try to get out for some extra exercise to help burn the calories.
  • beagletracks
    beagletracks Posts: 6,034 Member
    Options
    For today (U.S. Thanksgiving) I'm not drinking any alcohol (may have one glass of wine), avoiding gravy and butter, loading up on veggies, and only tasting enough dessert to be polite. I expect Christmas will be a bigger challenge with alcohol involved, but I'll do the best I can to make healthy choices while also enjoying good food and drink with family and friends. I'm amping up the workouts this month to compensate a bit for extra calories. Happy holidays to all! <3<3<3
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I will eat massive quantities of food on Thanksgiving and Christmas. I will be on my program the rest of the time. I will be back to where I was 3 days after these events.
  • blambo61
    Options

I smoked a pork loin in addition to the baked turkey the wife made. It was yummy! Also made stuffed jalapeños with cream cheese, bacon, and shrimp. Those are my two holiday traditions. Both very good!
  • glassofroses
    glassofroses Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Great ideas, guys, keep 'em coming!

I don't plan to log my food but I am going to practice intuitive eating. Am I hungry? Yes? Eat then. No, do not pass go and do not collect £200.

Our tradition is to have bacon rolls Christmas morning but I'll have turkey bacon and light Danish bread instead. On Christmas Eve, we have takeout and I'm going to get plain chow mein noodles. I'm going to splurge and have some curry sauce though.

I did buy some low cal crisps/chips that I know I love so I won't be mindlessly scoffing on fatty ones that I'm not a huge fan of. Gotta save that room for the special Swiss chocolates I bought. Luckily I'm not a huge meat eater so I won't be filling up on cals there either. Just a slice of turkey and lamb. Lots of veggies because I love veggies. No gravy or butter because I'm not over keen on either.

We host the family part on Boxing Day/26th and that's a buffet so it'll be one plate, no seconds with a bit of smoked salmon for me with lots of salad and light dressing.

When it comes to drinks, I'm not a drinker but if I decide to indulge the tipple I'm going to have prosecco which is 75cals a glass, vodka also 75cals a measure with diet coke without caffeine (my soda of choice) and one tequila sunrise as a treat because it's my favourite cocktail.

My biggest challenge is mindless scoffing. Gotta be on my best behaviour.
  • blambo61
    Options
    Great ideas, guys, keep 'em coming!

I don't plan to log my food but I am going to practice intuitive eating. Am I hungry? Yes? Eat then. No, do not pass go and do not collect £200.

Our tradition is to have bacon rolls Christmas morning but I'll have turkey bacon and light Danish bread instead. On Christmas Eve, we have takeout and I'm going to get plain chow mein noodles. I'm going to splurge and have some curry sauce though.

I did buy some low cal crisps/chips that I know I love so I won't be mindlessly scoffing on fatty ones that I'm not a huge fan of. Gotta save that room for the special Swiss chocolates I bought. Luckily I'm not a huge meat eater so I won't be filling up on cals there either. Just a slice of turkey and lamb. Lots of veggies because I love veggies. No gravy or butter because I'm not over keen on either.

We host the family part on Boxing Day/26th and that's a buffet so it'll be one plate, no seconds with a bit of smoked salmon for me with lots of salad and light dressing.

When it comes to drinks, I'm not a drinker but if I decide to indulge the tipple I'm going to have prosecco which is 75cals a glass, vodka also 75cals a measure with diet coke without caffeine (my soda of choice) and one tequila sunrise as a treat because it's my favourite cocktail.

My biggest challenge is mindless scoffing. Gotta be on my best behaviour.

I think your approach is good. Indulge a little but don't go crazy.

I'm not worried about even going crazy for one day and putting it down. It is the whole Holiday season I'm concerned about.