Fitness Thread

Options
cobwebel
cobwebel Posts: 114 Member
What are you doing to keep fit? Favorite exercises or programs?

Replies

• squeeeyk
    squeeeyk Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Strong Curves bodyweight program. Started this week. Working on form right now so I can get those glutes activated! Wanna rockin booty!
  • lesliewynn14
    lesliewynn14 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I've been getting out to the mall before it opens and walking at a very brisk pace for just over an hour. I do 10 laps around the mall while listening to my music. Afterwards I do around 30 minutes of floor exercises at home. I've been doing this M-F, not exercising on the weekends.
  • beagletracks
    beagletracks Posts: 6,035 Member
    Options
    I walk my beagles for about an hour each day and add a short upper-body workout with weights when I can, as well as low-impact aerobics workouts free via YouTube with Donna Richardson and Jessica Smith. Beagle walks are the baseline; I'm trying to add more on weekdays, but it's a challenge finding the time. :)
  • cobwebel
    Options
    I just finished the Betty Rocker 30-Day Challenge (did it in 35 days). It's great and free and there are all sorts of mods that can be done, and also it can be done at home without equipment, which rules.
    http://makefatcrychallenge.com/

I've also been doing a strength training program my physical therapist devised (I had a shoulder injury that's finally healed). And I walk about an hour a day with my little dog.

I try to make sure I do something 5-6 days a week, but work on alternating the hard-core workouts with more mellow things.
  • cheloldroyd
    cheloldroyd Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I completed the C25k program now starting the bridge to 10k. Try to run at least 2-3 times a week. Always use the stairs at work instead of the lift. Go for a mile walk at lunchtime whilst at work. Do a HIIT DVD or Zumba workout 2-3 times a week. I also have 2 dogs so try to get 2-3 miles walking done with them as much as possible.
  • rjan91
    rjan91 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Just walking a lot with my dog. I am trying to change the basement "playroom" that my kids used to use into a workout room for all to enjoy. I would like to get some weights, etc and maybe Santa will bring me a treadmill or elliptical. I also want to get some good exercise dvds.
  • toblave108
    toblave108 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Most of my "exercise" comes from working in a retail store. I spend 80% of my time there walking back and forth from the dock to the floor with heavy armloads of junk. I really need to increase my activity, though, because I really like eating (surprise!).
  • Want2bSlimmer
    Want2bSlimmer Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have 3 dogs & I'm a nurse so between being on my feet all day & walking my dogs I'm struggling to find the time/energy to do anything extra but I have now given myself a stern talking to, stopped making excuses & rejoined the gym :)
    I intend to follow a mixed cardio/strength/resistance programme & work up to 4 1hr sessions a week .... That's the plan, I'll keep you posted, first session tomorrow x
  • rustyquinn
    rustyquinn Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I'm healing a sprained ankle. I have been going to the gym and using the bike for 1/2 hr and increasing time and level in the future. I wish I could go for a long walk or run again. sniff sniff

I hope to start C25k again. I lost a lot of weight years ago with that. I loved it.
  • cpw2109
    cpw2109 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I play badminton once a week (although not this week) and I do some home HIIT exercise videos a couple of times per week (look on YouTube for The Body Coach).

I also coach rugby, so I'm reasonably active when I do that - but not as active as when I played the game.
  • DocStar127
    DocStar127 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I love, love tennis. It does not feel like exercise, just fun! I don't really do anything else though and I aim to add some strength training.
  • SarahStarr86
    SarahStarr86 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I am currently doing Insanity Max 30 and I LOVE it! My soulmate workout is Turbofire though. I love all of beachbody's programs.
  • bluenoser38
    bluenoser38 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to walk at least 30 minutes a day, and doing yoga and bowflex on alternate days.

Sarahstarr, I've done a cycle of Beachbody's Brazil Butt Lift before, and had really good results, but I don't think my fitness level is there yet. Maybe in a few more months; right now, I'm trying to be kind to myself. More a little more every day, and gradually increase stamina.

I've asked for a Fitbit Charge HR for Christmas, to help keep track of small improvements to my overall fitness level.
  • rjan91
    Options

I've asked for a Fitbit Charge HR for Christmas, to help keep track of small improvements to my overall fitness level.

You will love your Fitbit Charge HR. You will wonder how you did it without it. I'd be lost without mine.
  • SuesNewImage
    SuesNewImage Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Oh how I wish I could exercise. I started walking each day 5minutes from home and back & that was all I could handle. Now built it up to 25 mins each way and its getting easier. Also started seeing an exercise physiologist for strength & muscles using weights which also makes me sweat. Cannot peddle on a bike as my calves are too bulky and will not let my legs bend high enough, even with the bike where you peddle in front of you. But it will happen.

Dreaming of joining this thread. BTW I really don't like exercising or sweating at all. Hope that changes when its less painful
  • rjan91
    Options
    Oh how I wish I could exercise. I started walking each day 5minutes from home and back & that was all I could handle. Now built it up to 25 mins each way and its getting easier. Also started seeing an exercise physiologist for strength & muscles using weights which also makes me sweat. Cannot peddle on a bike as my calves are too bulky and will not let my legs bend high enough, even with the bike where you peddle in front of you. But it will happen.

Dreaming of joining this thread. BTW I really don't like exercising or sweating at all. Hope that changes when its less painful

But you are exercising! Everyone does what they can do and as you said, you have worked your way up to 25 min walking. Imagine where you will be in 6 months if you keep working at it!
  • kmanrique321
    kmanrique321 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I go to the pool when it's not freezing cold & do some arm & leg exercises at home. I need to get some new weights for my arms. I can't get weights for my legs bc my ankles are too thick for the straps. My dr doesn't want me putting a lot of stress on my knees anyway bc of the arthritis (ergo the pool). I also have a Fitbit, so I get in as much walking as I can, but again, it puts a lot of stress on my knees. Frankly, the arthritis is a catch-22: move too much & it causes pain, but not moving enough causes the joints to freeze up. I like being able to move!!
  • got2rockit
    got2rockit Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    cobwebel wrote: »
    I just finished the Betty Rocker 30-Day Challenge (did it in 35 days). It's great and free and there are all sorts of mods that can be done, and also it can be done at home without equipment, which rules.
    http://makefatcrychallenge.com/

I just started this on sunday. So far so good!!
  • WalkinChik
    WalkinChik Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I love exercise, I could do it all day. I'm a big fan of beach body programs. In the last 2 months I unearthed turbo jam I do it 3-5x/week. Sometimes I do 2 DVD in one session. I also do les mills bodypump for resistance training. And I try to do yoga 3x/week. I'm in the process of getting back to race walking again. So right now I'm also doing walking 5 mi 2-3x/week. I'm so far away from where I used to be but I'm on my way.
  • cobwebel
    Options
    WalkinChik wrote: »
    I love exercise, I could do it all day. I'm a big fan of beach body programs. In the last 2 months I unearthed turbo jam I do it 3-5x/week. Sometimes I do 2 DVD in one session. I also do les mills bodypump for resistance training. And I try to do yoga 3x/week. I'm in the process of getting back to race walking again. So right now I'm also doing walking 5 mi 2-3x/week. I'm so far away from where I used to be but I'm on my way.

I used to do Turbo Jam all the time! Loved it. Maybe I will throw one the DVDs in tomorrow!