Charge HR & MFP - how to log swimming?

Options
Orphia
Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
I'm thinking of doing swimming soon, but I've never logged any exercise manually in either Fitbit or MFP.

Any tips?

Does it matter when you enter the data?

Which one do I use, and how?

Replies

• henriklynggaard
    henriklynggaard Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I don't do swimming but here is what I do..

I use a polar v800(*) to measure the exercise, and I then enter the start time, duration and calories from polar into MFP which in turn gets reflected into fitbit.

*) http://www.polarv800.com/ - It does swimming metrics too
  • NancyN795
    NancyN795 Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a HRM or the like that you can wear swimming to measure your actual calorie burn, I'd log it in Fitbit. MFP's calorie estimates for exercise are notoriously bad. I never log exercise in MFP, even if I know the calorie burn because I hate how it overwrites my Fitbit data and causes it to just show an average over that time.

I haven't logged swimming, but I have logged Yoga. I'll start logging a swimming record just to see what it shows me.

If you're using the app, then go to Track Exercise, touch the Stopwatch with a '+' next to it, enter "Swimming" for the Exercise Type, put in your start time, the duration and I think either the distance or the speed and it will calculate calories for you. Then touch "LOG IT".

On the website, go to the activities page and scroll down to Log Activities, touch the swimmer icon and enter the requested info.
  • Orphia
    Options
    I'm not looking to buy or use any new apps or trackers, so Nancy's advice is very helpful. Thank you.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    And knowing your time and distance will increase accuracy instead of the option of vigorous or such that is also available.
  • Orphia
    Options
    Thanks!
  • Orphia
    Options
    I logged swimming (20 mins) and yoga (1 hr) in Fitbit this morning, but now MFP isn't updating with my Fitbit steps.

I've tried syncing both apps, and rebooting my iPhone 6.

I've done over 14,000 steps in Fitbit but MFP is only showing 9,000.

I've also done nearly 2 hours walking exercise, and my kilojoules earned in MFP is showing as 2535. (I'm 176 cm tall (5'9.5") and 74.2 kg (164 lbs). (MFP activity level is set as sedentary. Negative calorie adjustments are ticked.)

This all seems a bit wrong.
  • Orphia
    Options
    Nevermind! It was a global MFP/Fitbit syncing glitch that's now fixed.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10293954/frustrating#latest
  • sarahmichelef
    sarahmichelef Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Yeah, those happen every so often. Sometimes they last hours, sometimes a couple of days.