Is everyone set at 1.5 lbs a week?

Options
Hi everyone! I'm Sarah and I have 60 lbs to lose :) I was wondering if everyone has their weekly goal set up to 1.5 weekly loss or at 1 lb. I saw that the standard is if you have 40-75 lbs to lose that the ideal is to set your goal at 1.5 lbs a week. When I set mine to 1.5 lbs a week, it gives me 1210 calories a day since I set my activity on sedentary. I also workout 5 days a week to Insanity Max:30 and eat back my exercise calories. I just wanted to see who else was doing this and if anyone thought 1210 was too low in calories a day? Thanks for any input!

Replies

• ashley9452
    ashley9452 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I set mine for 2lbs a week w/sedentary, but I probably weight more than you as my calorie that was given was 1510 w/ workouts 3 times a week (30 mins a day)
  • rjan91
    rjan91 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Yes, mine is too. I don't eat back all of my exercise calories though. I find I need to be in a 600-800 cal deficit to lose.
  • SarahStarr86
    SarahStarr86 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Okedokie! I will keep mine where it is :) I may experiment for a while with the 1 or 1.5...thank you :)
  • Greenline30
    Greenline30 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    For now I'm at 2/week and set at sedentary. The past 2 weeks I've lost 4 lbs, so it seems to be working. I eat back a portion of my calories from working out and my calorie goal is 1200. I have 57 lbs to lose :smile:
  • lesliewynn14
    lesliewynn14 Posts: 130 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Mine has 1200 calorie goal with a 2 pound a week loss. I've pretty much given up junk food. If I want something "unhealthy" I'll still eat it but know that I have to give something else up so I stay withing my calorie budget. I've been drinking lots and lots of water especially before I eat so that has helped me to control my portion sizes. It's been a challenge staying under 1200 but it is doable for me.
  • Mondoweft
    Mondoweft Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Mine is set for 2lb per week and sedentry, but I have a fitbit and eat back all the calories it gives me + half my workout calories. I also have a lot to lose so will be at this for a while before I have to drop it down.
  • SarahStarr86
    Options
    Thank you so much! Yeah, the 1210 a day is tough if I ever try to sneak in some junk...it's always definitely a trade out for the something else. Since everyone seems to be around that number, I may go ahead and stick with the 1210 and see where it gets me! I'm just so neevous of starving, haha! Thanks everyone :)
  • momar23
    momar23 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I am set to 1lb a week and have been since I started in January. I had over 60lbs to lose I'm down 51 now. I think when I started I had around 1560 cals a day at sedentary and I ate back most of my exercise cals. I am now set as lightly active as I've made some permanent changes to my lifestyle, so I get 1470 cals a day and I get an additional 200+ a day for exercise which I eat back.
  • SarahStarr86
    edited November 2015
    Options
    That's amazing momar23! Congratulations on your weight loss, that's really awesome! I hope I can be where you are a year from now! The extra calories that I get from changing back to 1 lb a week would make this process seem effortless...that's why I keep going back and forth. It's like choosing the route that may be slightly more difficult but I'd lose quicker vs choosing the easiest route available (which would be the 1lb a week). The 1 lb a week should be a no brainier, huh?
  • momar23
    momar23 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Sarah it has been tempting to increase my deficit and try to lose the weight faster, but I had a friend say that the longer it takes the longer I have to make all these changes habits that will stick once I hit maintenance. I try to remember that when I start feeling impatient :)
  • ShashayLee
    ShashayLee Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    i had started my weight loss with a bang at the end of May, the weight came flying off initially as i had around 120 to lose. Now 6 months in & 68 pounds down, it has slowed down considerable. I'm ok with that, i'm probably set for .5 to 1 pound loss & right now that is fine, although i'm stalled right now.
  • muziique
    muziique Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I have mine set at 2lbs a week but so far I've averaged around 1.5 - 1.8lbs a week loss which I'm fine with. My calories are set to 1350 per day and I workout 5-6 times a week. I only eat back about half of my exercise calories if I'm hungry.
  • bluenoser38
    bluenoser38 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I've set MFP to one pound per week; I have a fairly sedentary job and MFP allows me 1590 calories per day. I've been following this for three weeks (plus walking, doing yoga, and doing a basic bowflex workout), and I have lost 8 pounds so far. I know that this will likely slow down very soon, and I'm comfortable with the idea of losing at a slower pace, as long as I keep moving in the right direction.

I don't think I could manage on 1200 calories. I can fit eating 1590 calories into my life (eating the same food as my family, having a bedtime snack or occasional treat, etc), and I am hoping that, since I haven't felt deprived, I will actually be able to stick with it.
  • rustyquinn
    rustyquinn Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I'm set for one pound a week. I want to make healthy changes over the long run. I have no end or finish. Just changes for life.
  • mrsnazario1219
    mrsnazario1219 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I'm set to 1lb/week. I use to be 2lbs when I first started in August but that lasted 2 weeks. I just couldn't do 1200cals. Even if I set it to 1.5 it was still 1200cals (I'm 5'2). I've been losing .5-1.5lbs a week consistently since then and I'm very happy. I don't cut any foods that I love and eat almost all my exercise cals. This, I can live with :)
  • holla18
    holla18 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    At the begining, I set mine at 2pounds/week sedentary. I was on a low cal diet (1000-1200cal) and no exercise so I was loosing more then 2 pounds.

After a while, I started going light activity (30 min cardio/day),1300 cal, and now am loosing exactly 2 pounds/week. This is what I prefer.
  • lesliewynn14
    lesliewynn14 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    My goal is set to 2 pounds with calorie intake of 1200. I kept my calories at or just under 1200 and did not eat back any of the exercise calories lost every day for the whole month of November, not even one bad day. I exercised 5X a week also. My total weight loss for November was 6 pounds or about 1.5 pounds per week. I'm going to keep the caloric intake the same for December.
  • SarahStarr86
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your replies! I've really struggled on this going back and forth...shouldn't be that big of deal but I make everything a big deal, haha! It's so interesting to see everyone's preference and they all make sense to me. Decisions, decisions...
  • sunnyazgirl
    sunnyazgirl Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I am probably not set right at this time. I plan to change it soon. I am set to 1.5 pounds a week/sedentary. I wear a Fit Bit that gives me more calories, but I seldom eat them. I am at 1200 calories and do fine with that.

I have lost 119 pounds at this point and have 41 more pounds to go. I lost at the 1.5 pounds per week - 2 pounds per week pretty regularly, up until 90 pounds loss. Then I stalled for about two months. I started weighing my food in grams at that point and I stepped off the plateau. I am now still losing, but very slowly. I am ok with that.

I tend to lose in spurts now (maybe 3-5 pounds over just a few days) and then stall. or even have a small gain for several weeks. But if I look at my weight loss chart I am overall heading downhill. When we went on a short vacation I had reset my goal to 0.5 pounds/week (1240 calories) and ate back half of my exercise calories. I had a nice loss (about 3 pounds) after returning home which never happens when I travel. So, I don't know if the extra calories helped me actually lose or not. I am very close to my BMI being out of the obese range and then going into the overweight category. When that happens in another 5 pounds I plan to change my settings to 1 pound per week. However, it really won't change my base calories. What I need to decide is whether I should eat back my exercise calories or not. If I do I still won't eat back more than half of my exercise calories to allow for logging errors.