bowel issues and long runs

Options
pobalita
pobalita Posts: 741 Member
Ok, this is a little embarrassing. I've been running for a few years now and have developed a new problem on my long runs. It seems that I have an emergency loose BM situation almost every time I go above 10 miles. It seems to come out of the blue and happens even if I go before I leave the house.

Has anyone else dealt with this? It's very frustrating. I was on PR pace at the Marine Corps Marathon a few weeks ago and blew it waiting in line for a portable toilet at mile 12.

Replies

• PeteWhoRuns
    PeteWhoRuns Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Something new in your diet? How close are you eating/drinking before your runs? I generally try to go on an empty stomach, or at least 3hrs after eating something.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    I found this kicking in at about the half marathon distance. A couple of halfs, I had a sprint for the restroom after the finish line. I learned to pay more attention to what I eat the day or two before the race, and cut down on fiber. Fewer salads, fewer apples, more pasta . . . the bowel management issue seems bigger for me than the carb loading aspect. That got me through my first marathon with no bowel issues, and three half marathons after that.

For long training runs, I don't need to watch as far in advance. Skip the apple I eat on most days in the morning till after the long run, and that's about the only adjustment. YMMV, depending on what is normal in your daily nutrition and how your body reacts.
  • rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Yes. This is common. I get this quite often. It sucks because it messes with my runs and can get me in a panic trying to find a toilet or, in a dire emergency, a strategic location in the woods. The theory is (from what I've read) that blood gets reassigned to your legs so your digestive system loses some functionality and cause "problems." Try to eat less fiber 24 hours before a run.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Eek. I am just getting back into running after being very sick with Crohn's. I am only at 5k right now but this scares me reading normal people have these issues. It probably would be worse with Crohn's.
  • singingflutelady
    Options
    I am already on a low fiber diet
  • FatMoojor
    FatMoojor Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I found the best way to avoid it was to avoid eating before going for a long run and making sure I am up early enough to get at least 2 cups of coffee and at least a couple of visits to the loo.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    @singingflutelady -I also have Crohn's, diagnosed almost 13 years ago now. Don't let it keep you from running! I carry toilet paper on all of my runs and plan them as well as I can. I have learned to understand my body and through time and adaptation, the Crohn's is practically a non-factor anymore. I'm not going to lie and say it has been all smooth sailing, but if not for running, I don't know how I would have made it through some of the rough times. Feel free to friend me if you want.
  • snowflakesav
    snowflakesav Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    This is very common.
    For me it seems to happen when I become overheated. I generally have a bathroom plan on long run days.

Starting your run depleted on an empty stomach in the morning is a great way to train your body to burn fat more efficiently.

For races - marathons...there is some urban runners legend passed down from elites. Don't eat anything less than 3 hour prior. 2 hours prior use an enema to fully clean your bowels out..it will take 2 or 3 trips to the porta John after using an enema so make sure you plan access to a bathroom. Gross, I know..nobody wants to admit to this so it is a well kept secret.

• GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Somebody mentioned coffee before a run. I am no expert on this. But, caffeine is a performance-enhancer and hot water is the best natural laxative there is.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    This is very common.
    For me it seems to happen when I become overheated. I generally have a bathroom plan on long run days.

Starting your run depleted on an empty stomach in the morning is a great way to train your body to burn fat more efficiently.

For races - marathons...there is some urban runners legend passed down from elites. Don't eat anything less than 3 hour prior. 2 hours prior use an enema to fully clean your bowels out..it will take 2 or 3 trips to the porta John after using an enema so make sure you plan access to a bathroom. Gross, I know..nobody wants to admit to this so it is a well kept secret.

I read taking an enema is the worse thing you can do before a long run or race. Only because it is unpredictable on how your body will react to it. It could have delayed or lingering effect. The enema could also cause dehydration and electrolyte deficiency. I would strongly suggest if you feel the need to do this that you do it many times in training prior to a race just so your body gets accustomed to the effects and you understand more how your body reacts to it.

I would say, no or very little fiber for the 24 hours prior to a race.

@tufel I heard many times about coffee. But also read it could be hot tea, hot cocoa, any warm liquid will do the trick. Although, coffee is my go to choice in the morning. Got to have coffee.

@snowflakesav I am curious. On your long runs and you are overheated, do you tend to drink more liquids than normal? One reason for constipation I am aware of is dehydration. When your body needs water, it will start taking all available water from other areas to include our bowels. When our "waste" becomes drier, it becomes harder to push. I am just trying to figure out the connection.

As far as the starting your run depleted... anyone can learn more about this by doing a google search for "train low race high" or google "glycogen depletion training".

• ephiemarie
    ephiemarie Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I've only personally experienced a post-run "emergency" once, but I know a few other runners who have had this issue and found relief from taking a daily probiotic. Might be worth checking out.
  • singingflutelady
    Options
    Caffeine is a laxative fyi
  • FromHereOnOut
    FromHereOnOut Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    I remember this suddenly becoming an issue for me once. I usually do not have any water until about mile 5-6ish. Soon after that, I'd get the urge. Since I ran fasted, I knew it wasn't real, but just some strange trigger of the water and vibrations from running or something. Being in a place with no restrooms, yet public (beach boulevard), I'd find a bench and sit until it passed. Happened always within a mile of that time of hydration, so I think the water triggered it. But after several runs where I stopped and parked myself on a bench (sometimes for ten minutes), my body adjusted and it stopped happening. Maybe try the sitting method on your training runs and see if you can retrain your body before your next race (since you don't want to sit on a bench for ten min during race, lol).
  • eabernst
    eabernst Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I have been dealing with this for a while now. I usually have an emergency somewhere between mile 1 and 4, and sometimes have gone twice in a race! I know it's super embarrassing and can be super painful. Seems to happen in the hot and the cold, and I've even had issues while biking and swimming.

For training runs I just don't run first thing in the morning because even if I've gone twice before going out, I can still have GI issues. Most races are in the morning so that isn't helpful then, but if you can deal with hottttt midday and evening summer runs, then that has helped me. Race days only, I take an Immodium around 20 minutes pre-race (my gastro ok'd this, but I'm not racing every week or anything). This has helped me get through a marathon and an olympic distance triathlon emergency free (biggest fear ever: GI issues while in a wetsuit).

Other things that have helped: reducing insoluble fiber (raw fruits/vegetables/peel/cook etc). I also take a probiotic regularly and that seems to have helped. I still won't do a race longer than a 5k without Immodium, though.
  • snowflakesav
    snowflakesav Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    This is very common.

I read taking an enema is the worse thing you can do before a long run or race. Only because it is unpredictable on how your body will react to it. It could have delayed or lingering effect. The enema could also cause dehydration and electrolyte deficiency. I would strongly suggest if you feel the need to do this that you do it many times in training prior to a race just so your body gets accustomed to the effects and you understand more how your body reacts to it.

I would say, no or very little fiber for the 24 hours prior to a race.

@tufel I heard many times about coffee. But also read it could be hot tea, hot cocoa, any warm liquid will do the trick. Although, coffee is my go to choice in the morning. Got to have coffee.

@snowflakesav I am curious. On your long runs and you are overheated, do you tend to drink more liquids than normal? One reason for constipation I am aware of is dehydration. When your body needs water, it will start taking all available water from other areas to include our bowels. When our "waste" becomes drier, it becomes harder to push. I am just trying to figure out the connection.

As far as the starting your run depleted... anyone can learn more about this by doing a google search for "train low race high" or google "glycogen depletion training".

I absolutely agree...don't try anything on race day that hasn't been tried in training.

I don't drink a large amount while running or racing. I am one of those runners who should drink more. I had a couple runs this summer that pushed me into the heat stroke danger area (note to self about running on the Beach with no shade) I am definitely just getting too hot.

• moxiept
    moxiept Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    This is a really informative post. I have UC and have had to resort to running at the gym because 10 minutes into a run and sometimes again within an hour I need an emergency bathroom break. I'm afraid of running long distances outside where there may be no restroom closeby. I like the Immodium tip and may ask my GI doc about it for race days.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    Yes... at my first marathon, I went RIGHT before the race. 5 miles into it I had to make an emergency pit stop. I also had a couple of long runs leading up to that marathon where I had to make emergency pit stops about an hour in. I do eat plenty of fiber and a moderate fat diet (P/C/F goal of 25/50/25%). I ate a LOT of fat leading up to that marathon, which may or may not have contributed.

For my first 50k last month, I was more strict about my diet leading up to the race and sticking with a high carb, low fiber diet. No issues during this race, but that's only n=1. I did put wet wipes in my pack just in case though.