Starting lifting as an American woman in S. Korea

Options
thom2369
thom2369 Posts: 271 Member
Hey 5x5 ladies. I am very interested in this program and have learned all of the lifts. I am starting this program in a gym in South Korea where I live. They showed me how to do the lifts and everything except the deadlift was the same as the stronglifts website. However the deadlift that they showed me did not start with the weights on the ground and instead was more of a motion of up and down from the waist. Perhaps a "stiff legged" deadlift or something like that.

Anyway I am really nervous about trying to do this program and lift weights and get heavier each week. I have a feeling that the trainers will not approve of what I do. Most women who go to the gym are there for the sole purpose of diet and losing weight. The spend hours walking on the treadmills (not even running) and lifting light weights and stretching etc. While the trainers are kind, they are unfamiliar with the stronglifts program and style of working out I think. Especially from a woman. And a foreigner woman at that. I will do my best to just continue with the program and not give up. I have to have a strong will to do this even if I feel uncomfortable!

Hope some of you ladies can give some advice. I will check out the other threads as well.

Replies

• Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    Sounds like Romanian deadlift. American deadlift pulls from the floor. As long as the trainers are kind & helpful, you are good. Just keep practicing. Lots of form videos online. Look at American deadlift videos. Rippetoe's videos are detailed. Good luck!
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    Also, check the sticky in form videos on this group's page.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    south korea definitely has female lifters. there have been some world/olympic champions from there. so keep that in your mind if the atmosphere gets too intimidating.
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    also: really looking forward to your 'guy in the gym' contributions :tongue:
  • Jennifer_Lynn_1982
    Jennifer_Lynn_1982 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Keep with it!! Confidence will come as you get a few weeks into your routine. Update us on this thread or ask questions as you go, we're all here to help!
  • indianarose2
    indianarose2 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about the trainers approving what you do. Study the form in video as suggested and you will be fine! When I first started I would watch the videos before each set to try to engrain the form in my mind. Hey! You might be able to break some stereotypes and inspire some of the other ladies! Have fun!
  • thom2369
    thom2369 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Thanks ladies I will try to keep going with the lifting in there and see how it goes. Thanks so much for your comments!
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    definitely feel free to record your workouts in the month's 'daily workout' thread if you're feeling isolated. and there's also misc chat and guy-in-the-gym if you just want to hang out and debrief your experiences.