Trainer at Gym - ARGH!

Options
RoseTheWarrior
RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
So I've been doing the SL 5 x 5 for maybe a month (?) and I asked the PT at the gym to help me out last night by checking my form. Most of my form was good, except I still need work on the squat and some work on the OH press. Anyway, she is saying I need to "change it up" in about 2 weeks because after that amount of time, the program won't be doing much for me?! So, give it 6 weeks and then stop? Also, she seemed to be stuck on the 5 rep range thing. She kept saying that "yes, but you should ONLY be able to do 5 reps", basically saying my weight was too low, even though I told her at least twice that I just started the program, which specified to start low and add weight as you go. I also mentioned I had sprained my wrist in my first week at the gym because I was trying to do too much too soon.

Argh! Sorry, just had to vent. I'm happy she helped with my form, but otherwise, it was pretty frustrating.

Replies

• Jennifer_Lynn_1982
    Jennifer_Lynn_1982 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    wow, that's frustrating! Keep at it and do what you feel comfortable with. If you like SL, then continue with it. If you want variety then maybe add in some additional lifts but not just because she said so, haha.

PS - Way to keep with the program!!
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Sorry you had a bad experience. Some trainers really don't like to listen and would rather just preach their speal
  • indianarose2
    indianarose2 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    It's hard as a novice when you ask for help from a trained individual. You are putting yourself in the position of needing help and they sometimes somewhat lord it over you. Next time your mantra should be "I'm following a proven program (as it is designed)".... "Thanks for your help with my form". You will know when it's time to investigate other programs.
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Yeah. I've hears some odd things from trainers over the past year. There was the female who was concerned on my bodyweight squats (no bar or anything) because my knees were tracking over my toes. She was very concerned about my back and core, mentioning how it would keep me from the 225 deadlift goal. Yeah... Then the guy who talked about whey protein spiking insulin and being used as carbs after a workout. Ah, the things random trainers say. Trainer stories would fit well with guy in the gym thread. :wink:
  • christch
    christch Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    My advice is to use the pt as a resource and unless you are actually training with them then only use the information you want from them. Sometimes its easier to listen and nod politely then just do your own thing. My experience over the years has taught me some are worth listening to others you just ignore. I have a fantastic trainer I've worked with for 3 years, when he tells me something I listen, I've also had dealings with 4 others in last 12 months and I can honestly say as far as putting programs together they have very little idea. I have worked with them for measurements and occasionally checking form. With experience you learn who is good and who isn't.
  • RoseTheWarrior
    Options
    Yeah, I agree christch. I actually have respect for this trainer because she is in awesome form herself, but it seems she's also on the "well you're new so I know better" bandwagon. She wants me to do isolation exercises. Probably using machines. The other trainer they have is worse. I don't think that guy hears anything, and he can't even pay attention to his clients when he's working with them. He's constantly chit chatting with the other guys and picking at his elbows. He makes me shake my head.

I just find these people treat all the middle aged females like "why aren't you over in the cardio area?" It burns me!!
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    DawnEmbers wrote: »
    Yeah. I've hears some odd things from trainers over the past year. There was the female who was concerned on my bodyweight squats (no bar or anything) because my knees were tracking over my toes. She was very concerned about my back and core, mentioning how it would keep me from the 225 deadlift goal. Yeah... Then the guy who talked about whey protein spiking insulin and being used as carbs after a workout. Ah, the things random trainers say. Trainer stories would fit well with guy in the gym thread. :wink:

Whey protein does indeed spike insulin. In terms of using it "as a carb" for anabolic signaling he is correct.

It does not function "as a carb" for glycogen repletion.
  • SideSteel
    Options
    So I've been doing the SL 5 x 5 for maybe a month (?) and I asked the PT at the gym to help me out last night by checking my form. Most of my form was good, except I still need work on the squat and some work on the OH press. Anyway, she is saying I need to "change it up" in about 2 weeks because after that amount of time, the program won't be doing much for me?! So, give it 6 weeks and then stop? Also, she seemed to be stuck on the 5 rep range thing. She kept saying that "yes, but you should ONLY be able to do 5 reps", basically saying my weight was too low, even though I told her at least twice that I just started the program, which specified to start low and add weight as you go. I also mentioned I had sprained my wrist in my first week at the gym because I was trying to do too much too soon.

Argh! Sorry, just had to vent. I'm happy she helped with my form, but otherwise, it was pretty frustrating.

I would consider taking video of your technique and posting it rather than asking the trainer, unless you're certain the trainer is a good resource for that.

You do not need to "change up" your program every two weeks unless we call "adding weight to the bar" changing it up.

You SHOULD be making improvements in intensity or volume over time.
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    Ah interesting. It sounded a little strange to me but I don't use whey due to having an allergy to something in dairy. He mentioned it as a way to say that I didn't need to try it instead of the other options, so it may have come off odd in the way he worded things.
  • RoseTheWarrior
    Options
    @SideSteel , yes, I have made improvements!!
  • SideSteel
    Options
    DawnEmbers wrote: »
    Ah interesting. It sounded a little strange to me but I don't use whey due to having an allergy to something in dairy. He mentioned it as a way to say that I didn't need to try it instead of the other options, so it may have come off odd in the way he worded things.

Honestly it sounds like he probably knows what he's talking about =)

@RoseTheWarrior Sounds like you're doing fine as is =)
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »
    Honestly it sounds like he probably knows what he's talking about =)

Good to know. Of the three I've met at that gym when asking for form help and such, he did seem to make the most sense in general. Just came off strange on that part and because I wasn't really even meeting with him for those purposes, which was probably a part of it. I try to have someone use calipers on occasion just out of curiosity and got a grumpy response from a lady when I tried to do it at random without setting up an appointment, so I'd signed up to meet with him just for that. He was very interested in the nutrition side, which if I had funds for a trainer, it would be on my consideration list.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options

sigh, i know what you're talking about. i just had it from my physio and chirpractor too. 'don't use your lats when you deadlift. just hip-hinge it up' #whut.

just as a note, programming is a whole different beast from form - and there's all kinds of programming depending on what the goals are.

• RoseTheWarrior
    Options
    Right now my goal is overall building of strength. Coming from the last few years of sitting on my butt at work and at home (working on getting my degree/accounting designation), I really need the whole body program. After a few months I don't mind looking at adding some specific exercises -- I would like to get prepared to play tennis this spring, so eventually I'll be concentrating on shoulders, sprints, etc.