Get it off your chest - have you been insulted because of your weight and did you reply?

Options
TheMrWobbly
TheMrWobbly Posts: 2,533 Member
It does seem the British reserve is less and less apparent and people feel the need to speak whatever crosses their mind without having a filter before it leaves their mouth. Has it happened to you? I will add my experiences later but wanted to know if I was unique or just unlucky?

Replies

• slofitness1978
    slofitness1978 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Yes, I got the good old "We do discounts for pregnant ladies!" Erm, no.... I'm still just fat from my daughter 5 years ago! That gave me the trigger to lose 2 stone and drop 3 dress sizes!
  • blackcoffeeandcherrypie
    Options
    Yeah, growing up fat, you constantly get remarks. As an older person, people leave you alone much more, which is such a relief to me.
  • Moonstone1612
    Moonstone1612 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Been told " blimey, you've put on a bit off beef!" To which I said at least I was a prime fillet offering. Went off and cried later :(
    sometimes think it's the ones who look without speaking which are worse.
  • KeepGood
    KeepGood Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I was likened to a holocaust victim. That was the straw that broke the camels back for me. As much as it pissed me off at the time, it gave the push to turn things around.
  • Jennikitten
    Jennikitten Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I have been too thin and too fat and I only ever got negative comments when I was thin.
  • Qakie
    Qakie Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I was out on a date and my date saw his friends after the date.They asked him if he was with me and he said " no way in hell,can you see the size of her, she ain't my type".You can imagine how I felt as I could hear what he said.
  • Chezzie84
    Chezzie84 Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    Qakie wrote: »
    I was out on a date and my date saw his friends after the date.They asked him if he was with me and he said " no way in hell,can you see the size of her, she ain't my type".You can imagine how I felt as I could hear what he said.

This guy is a dick. You shouldn't waste your time thinking about guys like him, you're worth more than that.

I used to get very upset and angry about the comments and snide remarks. I have always said what I was thinking. Now I discard it as jibberish and don't even respond.
  • redskyharbor
    redskyharbor Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    My doctor likes to say any complaint I have is weight related, even if I see another doctor and they disagree.
    Someone I work with asked my size so they could order me uniform and the look I got I could've knocked them out.

I've given up caring, I know what causes my weight now (illness related, up yours doctor), and I know I am trying to be healthier, so it's no ones bloody business but mine.
  • DavidVXR
    DavidVXR Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    My three year old granddaughter said grandad do something you're really fat.
  • flimflamfloz
    flimflamfloz Posts: 1,980 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    A few years back, on a hot summer day, I was running on a countryside track (relatively unused except for the odd cyclist or runner). Because of the warmth and because I wanted to feel the sun on my skin, I was shirtless and displaying my slightly above 20% body fat padding.

Some younger teens (16-20) were having a picnic sitting on the grass near the path. As I was passing nearby, one of the guys felt the need to call me out saying:
    - "Nice body..." in a sarcastic tone, making fun of the chubby guy running (<= that's me).
    I looked at him and replied:
    - "Well... That's the only one I've got."
    And then I resumed running.

It didn't really made me feel bad though as I believe the important thing is to try to do something about it. Which I was doing, so I felt good about myself nonetheless.
  • charli3anne
    charli3anne Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Was stopped at a service station in the summer in the middle of a Lincs to Wales trek, and grabbed a BK as is the usual road trip treat. Then this woman on the next table commented about "how all people in the UK seem to be very fat" rude, obviously left a mark as still think about it.

Plus nothing like your own mother telling you that you need to go on the Cambridge diet and that you don't see a fat anorexic. Ta mother!
  • Pomodori
    Pomodori Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    A guy said "Alright, chunky" as I was leaving a pub once (this was after I had lost 1 1/2 stones)

My friend said in shock "Did you just hear what he said?!"

"Yes" I replied "But why should I care what a beer bellied alcoholic, who is drunk at 3pm in the afternoon, thinks of me?"

(I've lost another 2 stone since then. I bet he's still a sad, judgmental alcoholic, wasting his life at the bar, whilst I'm improving everyday)
  • emblu
    emblu Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Pomodori wrote: »
    A guy said "Alright, chunky" as I was leaving a pub once (this was after I had lost 1 1/2 stones)

My friend said in shock "Did you just hear what he said?!"

"Yes" I replied "But why should I care what a beer bellied alcoholic, who is drunk at 3pm in the afternoon, thinks of me?"

(I've lost another 2 stone since then. I bet he's still a sad, judgmental alcoholic, wasting his life at the bar, whilst I'm improving everyday)
    Haha yep it's usually a pillock with a beer gut, smoking a *kitten* that shouts insults :smiley:

• Marigold000
    Marigold000 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I haven't had anything said recently but about 10 years ago I was with a friend who was returning some size 10 jeans and I said to my friend don't return them I'll have them....the sales assistant turned around and looked me up and down and said "huh as if they'll fit you!" I must have been about a size 12/14 then and was sooo embarrassed. Needless to say I havnt been in that shop since !
  • breathebelievejen
    breathebelievejen Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I didn't get as much stick for being fat as an adult but as a kid it was pretty horrendous. I never said anything back to the nasty comments and it pretty much shattered my self esteem. I make a point to talk to my young nieces (one is overweight and has been bullied for it.. even by her dad) and emphasise the fact that we are all more than our bodies but that it's important to take care of ourselves so that we can be healthy and happy.

When I was fat as an adult some random bloke at the bus station called me Jenny tubby (wish I was as cute as the teletubbies but not as fat :)). I'm already really paranoid about my belly as it's the area I hold the most weight so I was pretty devastated at the time. As much as it really upset me though it gave me the kick to start looking after my health at a time when I hadn't actually realised how much weight I'd put on.

I still have trouble exercising in public even after I've lost all this weight because I'm so anxious about other people making comments or giving me haughty looks :/ . It's not a good idea to talk back to some of the people in my area in terms of my own safety so I have to remind myself to ignore the sniggers and comments but by that point I've usually already flashed them a dirty look without realising >:) Sometimes I just wanna stick my tongue out and be like 'I know you are, you said you are but whaaat am I?' just to emphasise the childishness of their own comments.
  • elsinora
    elsinora Posts: 398 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I've had it all really. When fat, overweight, chubby I get the toxic kind of treatment. Like professionally or in sports lots of remarks how I can never do something or achieve something because I'm "not built that way" or not lithe or "husky" or "strong" - even though I run marathons, triathlons do roller derby and do wrestling.l and consistently prove people wrong by what I can do. Still that's not enough - I have to be thin to fit the aesthetic. Then people who outright say I'm meant to be big or fat.

When I do lose weight people say oh you're too thin (even though I've only been a size 10 at my lowest and the people who say that are 0-8) ... Or I look ill etc

Honestly, made me mistrust and hate humans for a while lol

I've been told when asking a guy something "oh I don't date fat chicks"... Been told I'm just a fat beast. It's endless! :)
  • TheMrWobbly
    TheMrWobbly Posts: 2,533 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I was going to add some older ones but had a new one today - stopped in McDonalds for my free latte and the guy behind me in the queue made a comment;
    Him - "They should put a width measurer on the door to stop fat f****** getting in here"
    Me - "Good idea, we'll do it straight after putting the anti-ars*hole lock on your front door to stop you getting out"
  • Mizzaf
    Mizzaf Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I always tend to take the piss out of myself first in social situations, this lets people know that there is nothing they can say to insult me that I haven't already covered!

A good example is, if I was first to go up to the buffet (I always seemed first lol) I'll laugh and say 'don't let the big girl go on her own'
  • Emmidoodah
    Emmidoodah Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I just don't like it when people comment about my weight, full stop. If people say , "Goodness you've lost weight!' A little voice in my head adds "...you were such a blimp before." There's just no pleasing me I suppose.
  • cponeill89
    cponeill89 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    A few years ago I was called fat by a friend in work. I jokingly said "f**k off you skinny c**t" but inside I was upset. At that time I weighed 20 lbs less than I do now and I felt I looked good.