5 Day Pouch Test

Options
mae7365
mae7365 Posts: 66 Member
I'm 11 months post op and struggling with a 10 pound weight gain. Like many people, I fell off the "sugar" wagon and my snack addition has come back with a vengeance. I spoke to my dietitian at our support group and she suggested this 5DPT as a way to get back on track and break the sugar addiction. It basically takes you back to the post-op basics. Has anyone tried this 5 day plan? I'd love to get feedback from anyone who has experience with this plan.

Replies

• lizadaze
    lizadaze Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Hi Mae!

Actually, I had also gained 10 pounds and just did the 5DPT last week. It is great!

I did my first week last week and it helped me very much get back to the basics and focus on what I needed to do to continue to lose weight. I'm glad I tried it and gave it the five days, because it works! Both in restarting my weight loss (lost 7.5 lbs last week!), but also in reminding me of what I should and should not be doing. I had pretty much gone back into my old habits and sabotaged myself.

Now, I'm focused once again and making recipes from the 5DPT really helps a lot. I love how the book is written and the no-nonsense approach.

Give it a try. It really re-energized me and I feel like I can be successful at continuing to lose weight with my VSG tool. I realized that I hadn't 'broken' my sleeve or failed at yet another weight loss attempt. I still have this great tool and it works. But it works best when you follow the plan that helps you lose and maintain your weight loss.

Good luck!
  • kcbhopkins
    kcbhopkins Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hi Mae,

I did the 5DPT a couple of months ago and found it to be super helpful. I wasn't particularly worried about my snacking, but more so that it felt like I was able to eat more than normal.

It definitely worked in that I was able to tell my pouch was still restricting nicely and I gave my metabolism a jump start.

I also recommend using the recipes provided on the site. They are easy and really help keep you honest on the plan.

Good luck!
  • PascMS
    PascMS Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    It sounds like we all have a lot of the same struggles. I did not realize that there was a book named 5DPT. I thought you just went back to basics. I will have to check it out. Thank you all for sharing your experiences.
  • PascMS
    PascMS Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I just looked up 5DPT. There were several books. Does anyone have any advice on which one to get?
  • bikrchk
    bikrchk Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I guess I do a version of that when I slip out of my maintenance range. I cut out junk, white sugar, alcohol, etc for a few days and focus on protein intake to kind of "reset" and remember my better habits. After the first day it also helps to reduce carb cravings. Works every time to land me back where I belong within a week or 2.
  • mae7365
    mae7365 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    lizadaze wrote: »
    Hi Mae!

Actually, I had also gained 10 pounds and just did the 5DPT last week. It is great!

I did my first week last week and it helped me very much get back to the basics and focus on what I needed to do to continue to lose weight. I'm glad I tried it and gave it the five days, because it works! Both in restarting my weight loss (lost 7.5 lbs last week!), but also in reminding me of what I should and should not be doing. I had pretty much gone back into my old habits and sabotaged myself.

Now, I'm focused once again and making recipes from the 5DPT really helps a lot. I love how the book is written and the no-nonsense approach.

Give it a try. It really re-energized me and I feel like I can be successful at continuing to lose weight with my VSG tool. I realized that I hadn't 'broken' my sleeve or failed at yet another weight loss attempt. I still have this great tool and it works. But it works best when you follow the plan that helps you lose and maintain your weight loss.

Good luck!

Thank you! I'm starting today!
  • Thaeda
    Thaeda Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    bikrchk wrote: »
    I guess I do a version of that when I slip out of my maintenance range. I cut out junk, white sugar, alcohol, etc for a few days and focus on protein intake to kind of "reset" and remember my better habits. After the first day it also helps to reduce carb cravings. Works every time to land me back where I belong within a week or 2.

^^^^This^^^^ is what I do-- go back to no sugar and very low carb (between 20-30g per day). Knocks the cravings right out and gets me eating well again. :)
  • tugsandpulls
    tugsandpulls Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    lizadaze wrote: »
    Hi Mae!

Good luck!

awsome post im 9 weeks post op and feel like im slipping grazing on food not too bad now but i wanna nip it in the butt before i fall off the wagon im gonna try this
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Hey @PascMS! I know where you are! I live in Hurley!! Lol! Small world, unless your monikker means something else, lol! Hi neighbor!

Sorry OP, thanks for letting me step in!
  • Gardener0
    Gardener0 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    For me, there were a lot of surprises in doing the 5DPT. I was surprised by what a low challenge it was to do the 5DPT. I'd expected it to be hard but realized I'd done ten days of liquid protein pre-op so this was - pardon the pun - a piece of cake, in comparison. It was almost a relief to have two days of only liquid protein: it was simple (the only choices were which flavors to select) and I didn't get hungry because the regimen allows you a lot of protein. Day 3 was a little more challenging because I was ready to eat food that crunched; Days 4 and 5 were just fine - almost boring. I was also surprised at how small my stomach felt at the end of the five days. I realized how much food I'd been eating because I couldn't comfortably eat those amounts each meal anymore. It was so good to feel back to the post-op, healed stomach eating lifestyle that made it easier to be mindful of how my body actually feels as I eat and afterward. I did the pouch test with two other VSGers and we each felt it would be a useful discipline to do once a quarter. We each felt it was very helpful in getting us back on track as if we pushed a re-set button.
  • gardendoc
    gardendoc Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    PascMS and Karlottap, I'm in Ocean Springs
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    We are neighbors!
  • akindofmagick
    akindofmagick Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Would love some Friends from this group! The idea of a quarterly 5DPT is excellent!!
  • Robin628
    Robin628 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me. I am a newbie (just sleeved on 12/7) but I know I am the type who will need/want to do 5DPT every so often to keep myself in check.
  • bikrchk
    bikrchk Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Thaeda wrote: »
    bikrchk wrote: »

^^^^This^^^^ is what I do-- go back to no sugar and very low carb (between 20-30g per day). Knocks the cravings right out and gets me eating well again. :)

Me too! I don't really "diet" , (at least I don't look at it like that anymore), but I focus on high protein, low carb and low sugar to kind of "reset".
  • healthybabs
    healthybabs Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Ok, time to fess up!! I will be 3 years post VSG on 3/10/16. I have gained 8 lbs in the past 4 months. Seems I can eat whatever I want with no issues. Okay...time to turn this around. In a nutshell can someone recap what the 5DPT entails. Shakes and a small meal at dinner?
  • Thaeda
    Thaeda Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Ok, time to fess up!! I will be 3 years post VSG on 3/10/16. I have gained 8 lbs in the past 4 months. Seems I can eat whatever I want with no issues. Okay...time to turn this around. In a nutshell can someone recap what the 5DPT entails. Shakes and a small meal at dinner?

I do not know the specifics of the 5DPT, but I did a quick Google search and found this website: www.5daypouchtest.com Thought it might be helpful to you.
  • Robin628
    Robin628 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    looks like day 1&2 are liquids (protein shakes, broth, etc), day 3 is soft food, day 4 is firm food, and day 5 is regularly-textured food.
  • healthybabs
    Options

• healthybabs
    Options
    Thanks for the info. Been doing a slight variation for a week and down 4 lbs the first week. 10 to go to be at my lowest weight since surgery. I will be 3 years post VSG on 3/10. I need to get to my first goal of 160 by summer....50 to go