My First Major Gain At The One Year Mark. HELP!

Options
I went for my 1 year check in with the surgeon on Dec. 4 and was shocked to see that I had gained 6 lbs. in the last month. About a month earlier at the Bariatric Clinic I was 199, thrilled to be in onederland. My home scale showed a few pounds lighter but I know my home scale isn't as accurate. My point being is that in a month I gained back 6 lbs., and more like 10 if you include my home scale which I don't. I was expecting a gain due to my bout of depression the last few months, grieving my mom's passing of 1 year, downsizing and selling my house and moving into an apartment, not exercising and having a few food slips. I take ownership of this and it gave me the scare I needed to get back on track. I also started a new medication about 6 weeks ago that can have a side effect of weight gain but my dose is low. Long story short, I know I haven't been as compliant as I need to be. This is the first wall I've hit since my surgery was Nov. 12, 2014. This is my first major gain. I've still gone from 317 with a BMI of 51 back in February 2014 to a weight of 206 with a BMI of 33 but of course I'm beating myself up over my gain. I got my sister's treadmill serviced on Friday, the repairman came as soon as I got home from the surgeon. lol. This week I've been on it the last 3 days in a row. No extra portions or snack. Tomorrow is my second of 4 or 5 Christmas parties. I know what I need to do. I'm writing this message to be honest, own the number, change my weight on MFP and to ask others who have experienced this for any advice they have when it comes to getting back on track. The surgeon told me it's normal to have a gain at some point. I don't want to stay at the this weight. I want to be back in onederland and ideally hit my personal goal of the 170's or 180's if possible. I'm here to ask for any ideas, advice or if others are willing to share when they went through a similar time. Thanks very much to my MFP family.

Replies

• garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I went through pretty much the same thing at the one year mark. The loss started slowing, and since then, about a year ago, I have gained a total of about 10 lbs. I know it's a combination of things - I think my body is kind of settling in, but also, I have to own up to getting a bit more comfortable, trying new things, trying things I should probably not try, not logging as well as I should, and basically the trial and error of what my new normal is. On top of that, I am starting to go through the change and my body is weird. I started a new job about 6 months ago and I went from commuting 20 minutes each way to about an hour and 15 minutes if not more each way, so a good chunk of my day is sitting in my car, and that has not only affected the amount of time I spend working out every day, I am tired almost all the time because I go to the gym at 4 am, the only time that works for me. So now I have a new starting point and I have to learn how to do it from here. I have gathered up all my tools and support and I am regrouping. I am starting off with doing the 5 day pouch test again, logging everything again (the good the bad and the ugly), and I am seeing my surgeon on Friday to see how he can help me. I am doing more journaling, and learning how to be kind to myself and not beat myself up because I am not exactly where I think I should be. I know it's frustrating to see a gain, but personally I feel I am much better off learning to manage the next 20 lbs I want to lose and than having to manage the 200 I already lost - living at that weight was probably the hardest work I have ever done. I can deal with my small gain, and I know you will too. It's challenging at this point, but we are works in progress, and there will be trial and error, but we have come so far and we should be proud of what we have accomplished and focus on how to move forward without stressing about a small blip in the big scheme of things :-)
  • Keikix3
    Keikix3 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Very nice posts both of you! Thankyou for sharing and alerting me to the possibilities next year. Congrats on the weights already lost, and getting yourself back on the tracks!
  • authorwriter
    authorwriter Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Relentless, you're doing well. You got your surgery way after me and you've lost way more than me and I haven't lost anything in so long I totally forget that's why I got the surgery. I think it just doesn't work for some people. I'm one of them. I mean, it only works so far and that's it. Although...I do follow the food plan. Go figure. And I still have at least 100 pounds to go.

I don't know why any of that is.

You look great. Just stay away from the carbs and don't panic. your body is probably readjusting. Losing all that weight that fast. you totally have this. Your body does what it should. it releases the weight. So Stay on with what you were doing and try not to stress over this. Stress puts on weight.
  • janet0513
    janet0513 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Good for you for catching things quickly. First of all you need to give yourself a lot of credit. You have done well and have been through a lot. Honestly, I can gain 6 lbs in any given week due to normal fluctuations as well as weightlifting/muscle repair so you will be right back where you wanted in no time. When we have surgery, it starts out where our weight loss is 90% surgery and 10% us. After a year, we see that change and 90% has to be up to us. It sounds like you know what you need to do. This is just a bump in the road. Your long term success is dependent on your continuing to make this a lifestyle. For me, the key is to implement changes that I can live with, challenge myself physically but most of all to enjoy what I am doing.
  • Thaeda
    Thaeda Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Let me start this off by saying you look absolutely AMAZING. Wow! What a transformation! And yes-- what you are experiencing is common. Sounds like you are getting yourself back on track. I have found I need to be mindful-- watch what I am eating--and if I am not doing that, it is very easy to slip into old habits. At the same time, I am SURE you have some new, good, healthy habits that are pretty well ingrained, too-- so no worries-- you are not going to gain all the weight back overnight or anything. :) Keep up those good habits, keep taking good care of yourself! :)
  • bikrchk
    bikrchk Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    This is a normal part of maintenance but it's good that you're keeping an eye on it! I've been in goal range (it IS a RANGE, not a single #), for about a year and 1/2 now and have bounced up as much as 7 pounds. You need to return to your good habits. Here's what I do... I no longer log food on a daily basis so this is the first habit I return to when I put on a few pounds. I revisit my exercise routine. This is a habit I don't break, but I find that sometimes I've kind of started relaxing too much in my cardio or I need to change things up a bit. I've tried the 5 day pouch test, but to a lesser degree than prescribed. I do more of a "return to clean" thing for a few days, refocus on lean proteins and less carbs and no junk. These small changes typically set me back on the right path.