These are a few of my favourite things...

Options
Sometimes, it is easy to focus on deprivation, and think about the things we can't have (or have to have less of) if we are going to reach our goals. Today, I stopped for a moment and thought about the fact that so many of my favourite things have zero calories. So I'll start this thread off with ten of my favourites:

1) Things that smell nice. Fresh pine and balsam fir. Scented candles. Cotton sheets dried on a clothes line. Earl Grey tea. Freshly tilled soil.

2) Light. The lights of my home town coming into view. Christmas lights. The way the sunlight reflects off snow and ice. Moonlight breaking through clouds. The flash of a lightning storm. Firelight, on a winter evening.

3) The ocean. The warmth of a summer beach, and the rage of a winter sea. The beauty of it, the power of it, and the sound of it as the waves come in to shore.

4) Scrabble. So I'm a nerd; my 14 year old son and I played a game this afternoon, and we had a blast. But if word games aren't your cup of tea, any other game that's fun for you. Eye spy. Gin Rummy. Grand Theft Auto.

5) A walk.

6) My gardens.

7) A warm bath. Preferably with bath salts, bubble bath or essential oils (see #1 above).

8) A really good book (or poem, or political cartoon).

9) Hound dogs.

10) My husband.

I grateful for both the trivial and meaningful, and learning not to put so much emphasis on food is helping me to rediscover how much joy can be gained from other things.

Replies

• kmanrique321
    kmanrique321 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I love scrabble too!! Practically any board game, really! I used to play with my aunt & cousins on holidays & she ALWAYS kicked my butt!! I'm a fan of Christmas lights & scented candles. I had give up the candles once my cats started getting on the mantle, so now I do electric tart warmers
  • kmanrique321
    kmanrique321 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    My tablet edited my post again!
  • bluenoser38
    bluenoser38 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I usually get my butt kicked at scrabble, too. You have to be a little bit ruthless to win, and I'm not very ruthless. On the up side of not being very competitive, its just about having fun.
  • sunnyazgirl
    sunnyazgirl Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Nice thread!

I love it when my cat curls up next to me and purrs.

A beautiful sunset.

The ocean rocking me to sleep while under sail.

Quiet Bible study time.

My family all together.
  • bluenoser38
    bluenoser38 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Family all together time is one of the things I love most about the holiday season; time off work, and lots time to spend with family.