Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

What percentage of good sleep are you getting?

parkdad73
parkdad73 Posts: 88 Member
Hi! I'm asking for other people's findings on their amount of good sleep versus hours sleeping.
I always seem to be tired but the Fitbit wasn't reflecting that. I did found the sensitive setting and ever since the amount of good sleep vs the hours is about 50%.
I've had sleep studies done for sleep apnea, which I have, and since losing 100 pounds I am at the very low end of needed a machine. I still use it and whenever I am studied I'm told I am sleeping well.
I'm just trying to see if there is something different about sleeping at home vs the testing room.
Please share your percentage. Thanks!

Replies

• NancyN795
    NancyN795 Posts: 1,134 Member
    I find that if my sleep percentage (normal setting, NOT sensitive) is below 90% I don't feel well rested. For me, the absolute duration of sleep seems to be less important to feeling rested than having a good percentage and at least one long stretch of sleep (1.5-2hrs) that is uninterrupted by restlessness. I probably average between 90 and 95% efficiency with a little less than 7 hours total sleep. I'm trying to increase that total sleep number to over 7 hours.

I did once have an at-home sleep study that found that I was borderline for sleep apnea but I haven't had any treatment. That was when I was 75 pounds heavier, though, so I'm probably fine now.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    I average about 6 hours of sleep during the work week to 7-8 hours of sleep on my days off. I sleep a lot better when I know I don't have to be up for work at 4:20am.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Where do you see your percentage?
  • parkdad73
    Orphia wrote: »

Sorry if I misguided you. I simply do the math mentally between the time it shows resting vs time it shows asleep.
  • NancyN795

You can't see your percentage in the phone app (at least, I haven't found it on the Android app). You have to use the website.
  • Orphia
    Thanks, @parkdad73

@NancyN795 I don't see any sleep percentages on the iPhone app, nor the website nor the Windows 10 app.
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    I don't track a percentage at all, but while the Fibit is really good at knowing you are restless once you are asleep, it isn't so good at knowing when you actually fall asleep. I noticed that when I was looking at my stats closely while I was sick. For example I knew I went to bed at 1 am and didn't fall asleep until well after 2am. It would say I fell asleep at like 1:15, when I know I was up clock-watching. Also, if I get p to go to the bathroom it might say I was right back asleep and I wasn't. So I look at it an take it for what it is...a tool that may or may not be truly accurate.
  • parkdad73
    I must be in some serious sleep trouble. Even when it wasn't sensitive I was at around 75% and now at 50% with it. That equals between 2-3 hours a night.
    Overall it does seem to read my sleep and wake times accurately though. Even when I get up in the middle of the night or when I take a nap.
    Most of the sleep studies I've done are at labs and come back with sleep apnea but once I'm fitted they say I sleep great.
    I did one at home but that was just checking my breathing.
    All I know is I want to strangle anyone who says they had a great night of sleep.
  • NancyN795
    Thanks, @parkdad73

@NancyN795 I don't see any sleep percentages on the iPhone app, nor the website nor the Windows 10 app.

I'm still using Windows 7, and I'm glad I am if Windows 10 shuts down access to information that I can get on Windows 7. I just go to the Sleep log page in the browser and it shows me the percentage. It doesn't show it on the tile.
  • NancyN795
    cindytw wrote: »
    I don't track a percentage at all, but while the Fibit is really good at knowing you are restless once you are asleep, it isn't so good at knowing when you actually fall asleep. I noticed that when I was looking at my stats closely while I was sick. For example I knew I went to bed at 1 am and didn't fall asleep until well after 2am. It would say I fell asleep at like 1:15, when I know I was up clock-watching. Also, if I get p to go to the bathroom it might say I was right back asleep and I wasn't. So I look at it an take it for what it is...a tool that may or may not be truly accurate.

Agreed that it is a fairly imperfect tool. I think it often overstates how much good sleep I got. But, I still find value in it.

I agree that it isn't perfect at detecting when I go to bed. I generally note the time I get into bed and edit it in the morning to get a more accurate "time to fall asleep" number. Sometimes it misses when I get up, too.
  • NancyN795
    parkdad73 wrote: »
    I must be in some serious sleep trouble. Even when it wasn't sensitive I was at around 75% and now at 50% with it. That equals between 2-3 hours a night.
    Overall it does seem to read my sleep and wake times accurately though. Even when I get up in the middle of the night or when I take a nap.
    Most of the sleep studies I've done are at labs and come back with sleep apnea but once I'm fitted they say I sleep great.
    I did one at home but that was just checking my breathing.
    All I know is I want to strangle anyone who says they had a great night of sleep.

I'm not so sure you should be using the sensitive setting. Your sleep record was already telling you that you weren't sleeping particularly well. Putting it on sensitive just makes it more discouraging.

I know that I find improving my sleep time and sleep quality is a somewhat frustrating effort. I can control how much I exercise. I can control what and how much I eat (although I find that harder than the exercise part). But, I can only control when I go to bed and when I get up, and other indirect things (caffeine, light, etc.). I can't control when I'm actually asleep.
  • beachbriel
    beachbriel Posts: 70 Member
    I am a new owner and have fibromyalgia which comes with sleep issues. I have a flare going right now, and put my Fitbit on the first time last night and then went to sleep for about 13 hours, thanks to my wonderful hubby. It recorded that I slept under 3 hours, and it has been 5 hours since I am up. Do you find that it takes a while to sync?
  • firephoenix8
    firephoenix8 Posts: 102 Member
    I agree on the 90% figure. I don't have it set on sensitive. I often sleep more like 85%, and there's a marked difference in how I feel when I get 90% and at least 6 hours. I also agree that it's a bit frustrating, as there's not a lot I can do about sleep that I'm not already doing as a lifelong insomniac. I don't check it very often anymore, but occasionally if I'm unusually tired I will because it makes me feel like there's a good reason to be tired.

As far as your sleep studies saying you are sleeping fine with the mask, I have a couple of thoughts. If they are specifically looking for sleep apnea, they may be referring to reduced incidence of breathing issues when they say you are "fine". That might mean the number or severity of such incidents is below some important threshold, but maybe still not as good as a person without sleep apnea would have. It could also mean that if you have restlessness that's not caused by sleep apnea, that they aren't thinking about that when they say "fine". Presumably they are worried about the stress on your heart that's caused by long term sleep apnea, and bringing that under control would be the reason to say you are sleeping fine when maybe you aren't sleeping as well as you should be. With the difficulty you're talking about, I think it would be worth at least asking them or your doctor exactly what they are checking for and if you could have something else going on as well. I say that because I'm pretty sure I don't have breathing problems while sleeping, but I do sometimes wake up a lot, often when I'm overtired, worried, or in pain.
  • Orphia
    NancyN795 wrote: »
    Thanks, @parkdad73

I'm still using Windows 7, and I'm glad I am if Windows 10 shuts down access to information that I can get on Windows 7. I just go to the Sleep log page in the browser and it shows me the percentage. It doesn't show it on the tile.

Ah, thanks, do you mean the "Sleep Efficiency" percentage on the browser website Sleep page?

Mine was 96% last night.
  • Orphia
    beachbriel wrote: »
    I am a new owner and have fibromyalgia which comes with sleep issues. I have a flare going right now, and put my Fitbit on the first time last night and then went to sleep for about 13 hours, thanks to my wonderful hubby. It recorded that I slept under 3 hours, and it has been 5 hours since I am up. Do you find that it takes a while to sync?

Mine often splits my sleep into different segments, and sometimes it adds them together and sometimes it doesn't.

For instance, if I go to bed before midnight and wake up again for the bathroom, that segment gets left behind from the after-midnight sleep segment(s) that are used for my total.

If I care about it, I delete that segment, then edit the past-midnight segment's start time to the earlier one.

Hope this makes sense and helps.
  • NancyN795
    NancyN795 wrote: »
    Thanks, @parkdad73

Ah, thanks, do you mean the "Sleep Efficiency" percentage on the browser website Sleep page?

Mine was 96% last night.

That's exactly what I mean. And, I'm jealous. When I get 96% that is a really good night's sleep for me.