Fasting and exercise

Options
totaloblivia
totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
Does anyone exercise while fasting? Am contemplating doing day 1 of c25k again, it's brisk walking and 8 mins intermittent running, but I'm fasting today. Is it a really bad idea?

Replies

• totaloblivia
    Options
    Well I did it and feel fine. Will see if there's a backlash tomorrow. Hope it won't affect the weigh in!
  • totaloblivia
    Options
    Talking to myself here! But just to log for my own benefit, it didn't negatively affect the weigh in, I lost 3lbs through fasting and exercise. Some of it may be dehydration (though I did try and drink more) so we will see if it's a proper weight loss. I will try it again next week - the extra time I gain through eating dinner is usefully spent exercising, so that's a win too.
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,060 Member
    Options
    My exercise is mainly walking, and I just keep walking when fasting, because I feel good when walking and miss it when I don't get my walk in. I average about 4 hours total walking per week. Maybe as time goes on, I will incorporate more vigorous exercise. Fasting won't deter me, unless maybe I have been fasting for several days and feel weak. In that case, I'd listen to my body.
  • ChoiceNotChance
    ChoiceNotChance Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I usually exercise while fasting. I don't feel it affects my performance at all. If I eat before I work out, I feel WAY hungry afterwards.
  • totaloblivia
    Options
    I've come to the conclusion that I exercise better in a fasted state. Since the demise of my zumba classes, I've started C25K as being easier to fit into my lifestyle as and when. I find it less of a struggle to run when I'm fasting - seems weird, but I only fast for 36 hours and usually am brisk walking/running at about 23 hours into the fast - anyone else have that experience?

Today I slipped in the post office on the wet floor (raining cats and dogs for days now here) and sprained my ankle, so I won't be doing anything for a while unfortunately! It has swollen up and it hurts!!
  • ChoiceNotChance
    ChoiceNotChance Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    ^^^ Try and keep that foot/ankle elevated and ice it. Hope it gets better soon. I understand what you're saying about running while fasting. I'm not really a runner but do a walk/job kind of thing. I get a lot of energy while fasting.
  • totaloblivia
    Options
    Thanks @ChoiceNotChance - it's a lot better now, but I am not going to risk running on it until next week. I will have to backtrack on the C25K unfortunately - it really is a walk/jog kind of thing. On week 2 there is only 9 minutes of jogging out of around 25/30 minutes of exercise, so I can't claim to be a jogger yet!
  • ThinnerHill
    ThinnerHill Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Today is my first official fast. I'm approaching the 23 hour mark. Only tea and water. Gonna stretch it out til at least in the morning. Feeling great, small rumblings from the tummy but I'm ok. Work went well, kept busy so that was a distracting blessing.
  • mcpostelle
    mcpostelle Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Today is my first official fast. I'm approaching the 23 hour mark. Only tea and water. Gonna stretch it out til at least in the morning. Feeling great, small rumblings from the tummy but I'm ok. Work went well, kept busy so that was a distracting blessing.

How'd it go?
  • ThinnerHill
    ThinnerHill Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I completed 60 hours. It was great. Lost 4 regained 2.2
    So busy now I can't focus enough to do another water fast. I try but fail so I've been doing a bpc breakfast fasting 12-14 hours eating one meal and repeating the last 3 days. TOM found me so I'm holding onto weight I hope. Still bouncing around between 163 and 165 on a daily basis. I really hope and pray in a couple days the bloat will leave and take at least 3 pounds with it.