Half Marathon in May

Options
TavistockToad
TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
Hi Everyone

Wanted to get a few peoples opinions on whether a half marathon on 16th May is doable, from my current non-running state.

I started running in July 14, did a 10k in November 14 in 63 minutes, stopped running over 'winter' (yeah its an excuse, we don't even have really bad weather in the uk in winter!)

My mileage this year has been:

Jan - 5
Feb - 8
March - 51.5
April - 42
May - 60 (including a 10k at the end of May, in 58 minutes)
June - 14
July - 28
Aug - 50
Sept - 41

And then I got ligament damage to my knee, saw a physio and its fine now, but I am only running a couple of miles once a week. because I'm lazy and the weathers 'bad' again!

If I get back to running 3 x a week, and increase slooooooowly, is it doable? my longest run this year is 7.5 miles.

Thanks!

Replies

• BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    That's a perfect long, slow build-up. I'm in the same situation but with only 10 weeks to go! As well as your three runs a week, schedule in stretching and your physio rehab exercises. They go on the fridge too! I had to eliminate anything else high-impact as cross training - swimming and yoga only. Good luck!
  • robspot
    robspot Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    If you were coming from no running at all I would say it's a bit of a push (to do it well I mean) but you have solid run experience behind you so it's definitely doable. Obviously the one issue is your knee but you're not stupid (I think? :) ) so taking it slowly should be good.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    Thank you both!

I really just wanted someone to confirm it was doable, looks like a running plan can go on my list of things to do this aft if I'm not too busy with work!
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    It's possible. It will be more of a mental challenge than a physical challenge. The thing is, you need to build mileage. But at the same time, you absolutely need to avoid doing anything that sets you back with respect to aggravating old injuries.

So the mileage needs to be built slowly. My advice, for what it's worth, is to use what's left of December and January to build your base. Stop thinking in terms of miles per month, and start thinking in terms of miles per week. If you can add slowly, very slowly to avoid re-injury, and still get to 12 to 15 miles per week by the end of January, you'll be in pretty good shape to start a structured training schedule in February aiming at a half marathon in May. Don't even worry about stretching your long run out any further until February.

And meanwhile, about that winter weather . . . there is no bad weather for running. There is only inappropriate clothing. One of the things I've noticed in upstate NY in the winter is that we get a lot of weather that is much better for running than for walking or for standing around.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is possible. I did it this year. Prior to January I hadn't run more than a mile in 2 years. Prior to that I ran but not anywhere near the distance I needed for a HM. So in January I joined up with Team in Training and was able to successfully complete a HM at the end of May.

A couple things that I learned in the process. First, don't try to pick up where you left off. For some reason I thought I'd just go out and be able to run 3 miles and feel fine. Big mistake. This attitude persisted for the first couple months and caused me great pain in my shin/calf during the last couple weeks of training and after the race itself. Which leads me to the 2nd thing I learned. Don't try to run through an injury. Had I taken some time off early I would not have been down for 3+ weeks in June. I was very lucky to not have major damage but... Lesson 3 - See a damned doctor when things are hurting and you don't know why. :wink:

Good luck.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    FWIW, here is my monthly mileage leading up to the race.

Jan 35.81
    Feb 40.06
    Mar 79.25
    Apr 95.46
    May 78.87
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »
    Yes, it is possible. I did it this year. Prior to January I hadn't run more than a mile in 2 years. Prior to that I ran but not anywhere near the distance I needed for a HM. So in January I joined up with Team in Training and was able to successfully complete a HM at the end of May.

A couple things that I learned in the process. First, don't try to pick up where you left off. For some reason I thought I'd just go out and be able to run 3 miles and feel fine. Big mistake. This attitude persisted for the first couple months and caused me great pain in my shin/calf during the last couple weeks of training and after the race itself. Which leads me to the 2nd thing I learned. Don't try to run through an injury. Had I taken some time off early I would not have been down for 3+ weeks in June. I was very lucky to not have major damage but... Lesson 3 - See a damned doctor when things are hurting and you don't know why. :wink:

Good luck.

I didn't run in October or the start of November while I was injured and seeing a physio, and am now doing 2 miles a week, so there is no danger of me starting where I left off as I have started uber slowly!
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    You know you can do it! You just need to start again, you just dropped out of the habit when you got injured.

Strap your knee up for the first few runs and start slow to see how it holds up. Maybe 20 minutes or so.

You got this :)
  • djscavone
    djscavone Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    It's possible. It will be more of a mental challenge than a physical challenge. The thing is, you need to build mileage. But at the same time, you absolutely need to avoid doing anything that sets you back with respect to aggravating old injuries.

So the mileage needs to be built slowly. My advice, for what it's worth, is to use what's left of December and January to build your base. Stop thinking in terms of miles per month, and start thinking in terms of miles per week. If you can add slowly, very slowly to avoid re-injury, and still get to 12 to 15 miles per week by the end of January, you'll be in pretty good shape to start a structured training schedule in February aiming at a half marathon in May. Don't even worry about stretching your long run out any further until February.

And meanwhile, about that winter weather . . . there is no bad weather for running. There is only inappropriate clothing. One of the things I've noticed in upstate NY in the winter is that we get a lot of weather that is much better for running than for walking or for standing around.

I like this advice. Build a base and then go from there. For me MobyCarp nailed it when he said it was a mental challenge more than physical. To me, once you get a solid base established unless you are going for some great PR or win your age group "physical" is not an issue as you can always "slow down" so you don't get hurt. "Mentally" you can think of it as your long run for the week and keep telling yourself to finish.
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Yes, totally doable. But you really do need to hold yourself accountable to building the mileage slowly, and also sticking with the training plan though the potential cold and snowy winter months.
    After my ankle surgery I had about 5 months of no running (preceded by 3 months of crappy running due to injury). The rehab and return to running was slow and painful, but once I was able to start my half marathon training (August 2014) I was able to successfully train for a half marathon that October.
    Be smart, follow the doctor's advice, and build slowly.
  • STrooper
    STrooper Posts: 659 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    As above, I agree. Totally doable as long as you build your mileage slowly over the next four months AND you actually do the training during the four months (note: I am factoring the last couple of weeks at the beginning of May as "taper weeks"). Three days a week would be just about the minimum (say Tuesday and Thursday for 30-45 minutes, with a gradually longer run on the weekend.

I injured a hip flexor while training for my third marathon in three months in 2015 and ended up sitting out a total of six weeks to enable healing.

After healing, things were tight and I had lost some speed. But the slow buildup in distance got me ready to run a 5k race on July 4th (though I knew I would not be competitive in my age group). Still, I ran easily in the hot and humid conditions and missed a PR by a mere 10 seconds.

I gradually built distance throughout the rest of the summer and ran a half marathon in mid-October. Again, for me it was just a step back to marathon distance, so I ran it easily rather than as an all out race and was off my best time by three minutes. But it is all about a gradual increase.

Granted, I have become accustomed to running HM distances in preparation for marathons, but the same principles apply in terms of gradual building of endurance and doing the work to accomplish that.