Losing weight with HS

Options
zombiekate
zombiekate Posts: 5 Member
When I was diagnosed with HS, I was told that my weight was probably the reason that I got HS. Even if it wasn't, I've noticed that I sweat more now that I have gained weight which causes flare-ups. I also have days where I am in too much pain to walk much less exercise.

Replies

• Elliewebber
    Elliewebber Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I agree that weight plays a big part. I was around 216lb when I started and had flare ups most days, I couldn't sit or walk . Down to 179lb now and my flare ups have almost stopped. I get maybe one every six month under my arms. My below the belt situation is not quite so clear but much much better ! I'm hoping that getting down to a healthy weight will clear this even more :)
  • zombiekate
    zombiekate Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    That is awesome Ellie! I just started a new job and so far no flare ups. For me I think the combination of weight and stress makes my flares worse. I was doing really well with the food diary and then I stopped. Time to get back to tracking and losing weight!
  • desirae1983
    desirae1983 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am so glad to see some activity in a forum regarding HS. I understand, all too well, how flares can prevent you from exercising, let alone walking, standing, sitting! I joined a gym in June and go at least 5 times a week. There have been times that I missed several weeks because of a flare. There is a closed support group I am part of on Facebook, and there are a lot of average weight people who have HS. They hate it when they hear that others have been told that they got HS because of being overweight. If that's the case, why are these athletic, slender folks dealing with it too? There is so much not known, or understood about this condition - which is unfortunate. I remember when I was first diagnosed, I was so excited to know what it was, then crushed to be told that there is no cure.

I began having HS in 2005. Immediately after I had my son. Before giving birth, I would never sweat....like drip sweat. I would just get a little shiny (for lack of a better description). But once I had my son, I began to sweat, and I actually had to start shaving under my arms (never had to before).

Regardless of the HS, I need/want to lose weight. I don't feel like myself, and I don't like being this weight. I weighed myself this weekend (prob not the best idea since its the holiday season, and all) but I weigh 299.4) :( I am not interested in going over 300. I look forward to being more active on MFP and would love to share in your accomplishments and any struggles that may arise!
  • Elliewebber
    Options
    Stress definately makes mine worse too! Which is horrible because then you get stressed by the break out !
  • Shelley8266
    Shelley8266 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Same here. Stress always makes mine worse. The fear of break outs is usually enough to keep me calm!
  • Saboteurteehee
    Saboteurteehee Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Wow! My first experience with hs was this Christmas. I feel so relieved to see this forum, it was really scary to hear this is chronic and no cure. My doctor has had me on antibiotics for 6 weeks now. I'm done. I researched and found cleansing flare up areas with hibicleanse, taking turmeric pills, and following an anti inflammatory diet helped one lady not flare up better than 10 years of antibiotics. That's not for everyone but I'm going to try researching more. A life of antibiotics is not for me! There's got to be a way through diet and exercise. Good luck everyone! So glad to have found you all!
  • Elliewebber
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Wow! My first experience with hs was this Christmas. I feel so relieved to see this forum, it was really scary to hear this is chronic and no cure. My doctor has had me on antibiotics for 6 weeks now. I'm done. I researched and found cleansing flare up areas with hibicleanse, taking turmeric pills, and following an anti inflammatory diet helped one lady not flare up better than 10 years of antibiotics. That's not for everyone but I'm going to try researching more. A life of antibiotics is not for me! There's got to be a way through diet and exercise. Good luck everyone! So glad to have found you all!

Hi I don't know where you live as to whether it'll be available but I use dermol 500 instead of soap as recommended by my doctor and that helps :)
    I'd also recommend trying epilating instead of shaving, I'm sure that's why my under arms cleared so quickly.