Introduction

Options

Replies

• LinC3003
    LinC3003 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    There are 2 outlets in Lancaster.....but there are also lots of stores with country stuff and stuff made by the Amish. We go to Lancaster several times a year just to shop, although it's true I already have a house filled with stuff and don't really need much. The stuff I really need for my house I'm not buying in Lancaster.....new kitchen from top to bottom, re-do the main bathroom, new front entryway and door, and flooring in the living room and bedrooms and hall. Hopefully at least one of those big projects will get done in 2016. Husband is talking about retiring in a year or two. I'd like everything done before he retires. Of course, I can't see him retired either. I think he'd go crazy being retired.
    LOL.....we had a cheap plastic mailbox too. We have a metal one now. Every couple of years someone hits the mailbox and we have to replace it. I bought some seasonal magnetic covers for the mailbox in Lancaster last summer. Just took down the fall one and put up the snowman one. Cute.
    I'm going to try not to go overboard with spending this Christmas either which is not always easy. Plus I also do expect that my oldest daughter is going to need financial help until the divorce happens.....which not much is going on at the moment with that because her husband refused to go to mediation this week saying he doesn't have the money to move out. We're pretty sure he has money though. So....sometimes he is at his girlfriend's and other times he comes home to sleep. My daughter just wants him out already. He's the one who wanted the divorce, but now he is not doing anything to make it happen. We don't know what kind of game he's playing now. In NJ, you are supposed to go through mediation and try to work out divorce that way. Much cheaper than going to a lawyer and filing. However, if he continues to refuse to go to mediation, my daughter may have no choice but to file. In the meantime, their two oldest daughters refuse to live at home until he is out for good. The oldest one is staying with her best friend's family, the 15 yo is still staying with me. But my daughter at least seems to be on the road to emotional recovery. She's talking to all of us again....and reaching out for help with the kids, etc. Now if we could just get that husband of hers out of their house for good.

So I will be doing some Christmas shopping in Lancaster this weekend. With 12 grandchildren to buy stuff for....and my kids and their spouses, and my parents and my brother and sister....I'd better get started with the shopping already. Don't know how much I'll get done though....that's a lot to do in one weekend. :smile:

Ok....back to watching grandchildren.
    Have a good day all.
    Lin
  • AEPHubinc2015
    AEPHubinc2015 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Can you bring me back an Amish quilt, Lin? (just kidding - they cost a mint and the shipping would be about as much) They ARE beautiful, though. I've never been to Amish Pennsylvania but I've heard it's beautiful. Enjoy!

I was just suggesting to a friend that she and her husband spend some time in Nashville, dancing and generally having fun with all that country music scene there and then meander around in The Smoky Mountains for the more serene, peaceful part of their trip. I used to sing professionally and we spent 2 weeks in Nashville when another group invited us (we were based in the bay area in CA) and had THE BEST time ever. (of course, I was 19 at the time)

We live in opposite environments, Rae. You can count on absolutely no rain here from around May to the end of October every year. As a result, we all LOVE the rain. Nothing like cozying up with a good book on a rainy day or listening to the rain at night when you're cozy in your bed.

So...my weight isn't budging. I've been eating my 1200 calories a day and listing only the calories my stupid elliptical machine says I've burned (half what they say on this site). It always says I'll be some ridiculously low weight in 5 weeks but I know it's a joke.

Meanwhile, I'm feeling healthy and good and all my clothes fit so I'm not complaining....much.

Did I tell you guys that one of the pushes to get in shape is because we're spending 5 weeks in India soon? Didn't want to be huffing and puffing around The Taj Mahal. We reserved our flights ages ago (I'm flying on frequent flier points and those aren't always easy to get close to the flight date). We read up on stuff back then and made an itinerary. Now I'm re-looking and rearranging. Been reading a lot and looking at maps. Very excited.

All those Christmas preparations sound like fun. I know it can be a tense, tiring time. I've read umpteen cartoons and essays. But it sounds lovely anyway.

Time to make some potato pancakes for Hanukah. Tonight's the first night of eight.

Hugs to all you amazing women,
    Aliza
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    Just stopping in to say hello. Hubby and I enjoyed the weekend in Washington with our grandson. He's such a delight. He's about 2 1/2 and starting to talk quite a bit. He knows a lot of letters, colors, numbers and animals. He's learning about body parts (grandma's nose, eyes, mouth, cheeks) and just beginning to show an interest in potty training. He LOVES grandma's spaghetti. LOL I made it for dinner Friday night and that's all he wanted for breakfast Saturday morning. Despite my hopes, the weather was awful on Saturday. When my son and daughter-in-law got home we all went to a holiday bazaar and then to a tree farm for a Christmas tree. The weather was cold and rainy and my grandson was asleep in the car, so we just found a couple trees real quick, cut them down, tossed them in the vehicles and that was the end of the tree farm escapade.

I still have not bought much of anything for Christmas gifts OR done any decorating in the house. Maybe tomorrow? We did get the Christmas lights hung outside on Sunday, but we keep popping a circuit breaker so apparently have too much of a load going on. We don't really even have that many lights, but it's an old house. We've turned off a few things and it stays on for awhile, then it goes out again. Frustrating!

Aliza - our weather forecast is for rain and wind every single day this week. Today we got nearly 3 inches of rain and more than that for tomorrow. There's been some local areas of flooding, as well. It just rains a lot here and we're used to it. This is just the beginning. In Oregon the rainy weather can last for 6 months, but it is also the reason everything here is so green even in high summer. How exciting you are going to India! That's on my dream vacation list! Also want to go to Egypt and see the Great Pyramids, but might not be a great idea right now with all the unrest in that region. I don't know. That reminds me I need to check on my frequent flyer miles. I'm sure I have a lot built up and really should plan a trip somewhere.

I'm kind of in the same boat re: weight. I've been exercising and eating under my calorie goal daily, but the scale hasn't budged since the week before Thanksgiving. Might be that glass or two of wine every evening - even though it's within my calorie goal somehow the alcohol seems to make that much of a difference. I had a Christmas luncheon to go to today so dressed up a little with a sequin sweater and a pair of red slacks. The pants were actually too big for me, so that was a nice surprise! I wore them anyway, because they are red (for Christmas) LOL and the sweater was longer and covered up the baggy butt. I am going to get rid of them. I feel like I'm between sizes right now. Most of my clothes are either too big or too small. Mostly I'm wearing yoga pants and track jackets these days. Closets jam packed full of clothes and nothing to wear. Story of my life!!

Hope you all have a wonderful week! Stay healthy!

Rae
  • marlajc88
    marlajc88 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone!

Lin, I hope the Christmas shopping went well -- 12 grandkids? Whew! I had a hard enough time keeping up with our own girls' interests when they were little. I can't imagine grandkids and their various interests!

Aliza -- traveling to India sounds fantastic! You'll have to take lots of pics to share (like on Snapfish, etc., if that's something you like to do). And how cool that you're familiar with Nashville in Middle Tennessee and The Great Smoky Mountains in East Tennessee -- that's my stomping grounds. My family is from Tennessee for several generations back and our girls were born here, too. It truly is home :smile:

I hear you about the weight not budging. I've been hustling around wrapping and unpacking decorations and basically running myself silly, in between work and typical daily stuff. My FitBit says I get a decent number of steps in (although less than 10,000) and I even joined the December Challenge group here on MFP but the scales have moved at all. I know that, for me, it's a balance between doing enough exercising and cutting calories, but not *too* many otherwise nothing comes off. Can I please have my 20's-30's metabolism back now?? pretty please?? LOL

And Happy Hanukah!!

Hang in there everyone,
    ~Marla
  • AEPHubinc2015
    Options
    All of your Christmas preparations and activities sound like so much fun!

My husband went on a rampage today (all in good spirits) about how we set our goal NOT to eat the yummy potato pancakes and doughnuts that everyone eats here for Hanukah. He was determined that we eat some of each this time around. We had friends over who are leaving for a trip to Cuba tomorrow and I made potato pancakes. Had two of them and they were well worth whatever calories they actually had (MFP says some ridiculously small amount of calories but that can't be true). He also brought up jelly filled doughnuts and caramel filled doughnuts (my personal fav) and I indulged his fancy and ate a half a caramel doughnut. Still came in under my calories. We'll see how weight in goes on Friday a.m.

Spent several hours today going through all the stuff in my two closets. Packed up 2 and 1/2 big garbage bags full of purses, belts and lots and lots of clothes and took them to the 2nd hand place in our community where people can buy any item for 50 cents. Not only is there room in both closets now but I actually know what I have...and know that I don't need to be out shopping. o:) Pretty funny since my husband got me a gift certificate to one of my favorite clothing stores and another one to a fun make-up store (like Mac or Sephora) for Hanukah. I'm sure I'll manage to use both.

Didn't have enough passion for the task of trying on all the pants, though. I'll save that for another day. Wide pants legs? When were those in fashion? I sure have a lot of them. And they look awful. Will I think my skinny leg pants look awful a couple of years from now? Maybe tomorrow I'll try on pants.

Promised myself I'd get to bed early tonight but looks like that's not going to happen.

I think next month will be the month we ALL jump off our weight plateaus to the next plateau - 5 pounds lighter. All in?

Hugs
  • AEPHubinc2015
    Options
    So, as far as being lighter next month? I just weighed in and saw that I've GAINED a pound. Sigh.

January goal: 152 That's 6 pounds to lose to get back to the weight I first decided I was fat and needed to do something about it! ;)

Hope you all have a great weekend!
  • RaeBeeBaby
    Options
    Just popping in to say hello. Christmas season busy-ness is already taking over, but I'm determined to enjoy it along the way. We JUST got our tree up Thursday and I put lights on it yesterday. That's as far as we've gotten. SO LATE for us. We normally dive in right after Thanksgiving . . . . except for that one time . . . . .

Funny little story that I'll share (hopefully quickly). Our son was living in LA and decided to come home for Christmas but he kept waiting to buy his ticket. We kept waiting to hear when he would be coming, but he was procrastinating. He had asked us to wait to put up the tree until he got home. It was our family tradition to go out to the tree farm and cut one down together. So we waited. He finally got here late the night of December 23rd, so there we were on Christmas Eve trying to find a tree farm open. No dice. (and we live in Christmas Tree capital of the world). Farms are everywhere, but nothing was open. We couldn't even find a tree lot that was still open! So, we came home, took a potted fir tree that we had in the backyard, hubby and sons vacuumed it really well with the shop vac (to get rid of any spiders), and we brought it indoors. Lights and decorations turned it into a cute little tree. We only had it inside for about 3-4 days, but that was a fun and funny Christmas tree that year!

Hope everyone's Christmas and Hanukkah holidays are going well!
  • RaeBeeBaby
    Options
    I think next month will be the month we ALL jump off our weight plateaus to the next plateau - 5 pounds lighter. All in?

I'm in! I've decided to just work on maintaining for the rest of this month and not really try to lose. I'm right at 155 this week and I think I can stay steady for the next couple weeks. I've had a few treats (dinner out last night) and some wine and that's just fine!
  • AEPHubinc2015
    Options
    Seems to me that some holiday treats (within limits, I suppose) are in order.
    My husband has drilled it into my head that being proud of getting through an entire holiday without enjoying a single special food related to the holiday is a sign that things have gone way too far. He's my anchor, that man! Even after 40 years.
    <3 Yet another thing to be grateful for in this season full of gratitude.
    Hang in there, buds.
  • AEPHubinc2015
    Options
    PS I'm no longer vegan but often take a glance into vegan cookbooks because there are some yummy, interesting recipes.
    Came across a great little new book called 10 Minute Vegan Recipes by Sally Primrose last night. Downloaded it for 99 cents and looked through the entire thing. Quick, easy recipes. Ingredients look familiar for the most part. Some interesting combinations. I plan on trying a bunch of them.
    Just saying...
  • RaeBeeBaby
    Options
    PS I'm no longer vegan but often take a glance into vegan cookbooks because there are some yummy, interesting recipes.
    Came across a great little new book called 10 Minute Vegan Recipes by Sally Primrose last night. Downloaded it for 99 cents and looked through the entire thing. Quick, easy recipes. Ingredients look familiar for the most part. Some interesting combinations. I plan on trying a bunch of them.
    Just saying...

I'll have to check that one out! I'm not vegan either, but I eat a lot of vegetarian dishes just because I like them. I'm not a big meat eater anyway, so I tend to make a lot of veggie based meals without giving it much thought. My daughter-in-law is allergic to eggs and dairy. I don't eat gluten or soy, so going with vegan recipes usually meets everyone's dietary restrictions. (Sometimes is IS a challenge, LOL)
  • AEPHubinc2015
    Options
    Been baking for two days and not eating any of it...or maybe one cookie. But today I had a great lunch - 2 very yummy homemade cookies. Worth it? Yep.

How are you guys doing? Must be pretty busy with Christmas preparations. It's pretty quiet in here.

Btw, Rae, made a very spicy eggplant and breamer curry for tomorrow's lunch. It smells heavenly. Do you like spicy food?

Have a great weekend, folks.

<3
  • RaeBeeBaby
    Options
    I do love spicy food. Sometimes it doesn't like me back, which always annoys me!

I've never heard of breamer curry! I tried to look it up and all I could find were recipes in another language (German?). I've only had eggplant a couple times in my life. My mother is allergic to it, so we never had it growing up.

Christmas is coming way too quickly. I need to get busy with wrapping. I get stuck in baking mode and just keep going until I run out of steam. I need to stop already.

Plus, my father-in-law is back in the hospital so we've been running back and forth for several days now again.

Hope everyone is well. I haven't seen Lin online here in a couple weeks now. I hope she is OK!
  • AEPHubinc2015
    Options
    The curry thing? I just make a vegetable curry with whatever vegetables are in season that I like and then add the bream in chunks. The only hassle about it is that I don't like anything to be too mushy so everything has to be added at a time that will allow for it to still be firm when the whole thing is done.

A lot of people are allergic to eggplant. It's in that family that has deadly nightshade. In any case, best to slice it, put it on paper towels and dust it with salt first. Let it sit for about 10 minutes. That gets rid of any bitterness there might be and, I think, some of the ill effects of the deadly nightshade. I leave the skin on. It's edible and it helps the eggplant to stay firm.

I, too, have been wondering about Lin and hoping she's just busy with Christmas. I've sent her a message or two but no response. I hope it's not pre-holiday guilt - you know, the one where people eat stuff while they're baking/cooking, gain weight and lose desire to post it all.

The whole point of a support group is for SUPPORT through the "off the wagon" times, too, and not just to say "yay" when it's all going well, right?

My prayers are with you and your family...in fact I'm about due for prayers at the moment.

Ciao
  • AEPHubinc2015
    Options
    Merry Christmas Everybody! :)
  • RaeBeeBaby
    Options
    Hello to anyone still checking in here! I'm glad that Christmas is over. I always do WAY MORE than I plan to do and this year was no different. I was cooking, baking and making all kinds of goodies for other people again this year even though I told myself I was going to scale it back. What the heck is wrong with me?? I managed to keep out of it, barely even sampling anything until I'd given most of it away. However, Christmas day and the day after was another story. I pretty much ate and drank anything I wanted and then some. I can tell my weight is up without even getting on the scale. Not weighing until this coming Friday and then see what the damage might be. I sent the last of the goodies with my husband this morning to take to his co-workers. I did get 3 bottles of wine as gifts this year, but hopefully I can pace myself. :p

As far as exercise, I didn't do much at all last week. I did manage to play a round of disc golf on Saturday with my husband and oldest son. That was fun, but I was quite sore yesterday. Today I went to the pool and took the aquasize class, which felt great! Good to be moving again and mostly back on track with my food choices.

I may go back to the new yoga studio one day this week. The classes are really limited because of the holidays, but I think there's one I can make work. They are starting a new pricing structure the first of January, which I think will increase their attendance. They just opened in November, but their pricing was all over the place. Different prices for different classes. Pay the different instructors individually per class. Punch cards specific to classes, rather than any/all of them and you'd have to use all the punches in one month or they expire. Now it looks like a monthly charge for unlimited classes or a punch card that's good for 3 months. Bravo!
  • AEPHubinc2015
    Options
    I think the thing about going off track isn't the going off track itself. Why not? Every now and then for special occasions. The thing is that it can be so hard to get back ON track. If you do that, what the heck! After all that baking and cooking for everyone else - I can't even imagine not tasting from all the goodies!! I hope you super enjoyed whatever you ate and drank!!

Good to see you back posting. Hopefully others will straggle back in as they recuperate from the holidays. B)

• AEPHubinc2015
    Options
    Back in my size 10 jeans...barely...yay! B)
  • RaeBeeBaby
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Back in my size 10 jeans...barely...yay! B)

That's awesome!! I'm hopeful to get back into size 10's!! My size 12 jeans were getting a bit loose (before Christmas) but not enough (in my mind) to warrant looking for new jeans in the smaller size. I've also noticed that most of my yoga pants (size L) are feeling a bit loose and I keep having to pull them up.

Made it to the pool again for aquasize this morning. I'll be glad when this week is over. They've combined the two classes into one for the holiday weeks and it is mega crowded. I bet today there were 25 people. We kept running into each other. Then everyone trying to shower and get dressed at once. I usually go to the later class and there's rarely more than 10 and often only 4-5. Just my size!
  • RaeBeeBaby
    Options
    Aliza - I've been meaning to ask you something about yoga. Do you have a yoga flow of exercises (in a certain order) that you ordinarily do with your classes? When I do it on my own I'm kind of all over the place, so I've wondered if there's a basic list that I could follow to make it flow better. Any suggestions very much appreciated!!