So here's the dilemma...

Options
I keep reading about how one of the best ways to keep on track with fitness goals is to include a workout buddy in on your activities. How many people here feel the reality of this all is that it's a singular venture, or that you actually do find inspiration in others?

I guess to top it off, I've just moved to a new city and it's difficult enough finding new alternative people to hang out with, let alone hit a gym with.

Replies

• exquisitetrash
    exquisitetrash Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I guess that pretty much answers that question. :D
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    Options
    I keep reading about how one of the best ways to keep on track with fitness goals is to include a workout buddy in on your activities. How many people here feel the reality of this all is that it's a singular venture, or that you actually do find inspiration in others?

I guess to top it off, I've just moved to a new city and it's difficult enough finding new alternative people to hang out with, let alone hit a gym with.
    In spite of actually having someone to go to the gym with, you could report your workout (sets/reps, exercises, miles run etc) to your friends on your profile. That's what a number of my lifter friends and I do.

That should be the easy part, unless, there are no clubs or venues to see bands.
  • abarringer44
    abarringer44 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain a bit. The people I work with are in way better shape than I am, and I am a little embarrassed about it. I need to catch up, and plan to find some peeps on here who I can share my eating and exercises with.
  • Barb_Massacre
    Barb_Massacre Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I tried the buddy thing...but most advice is given by extroverts for extroverts. If you look up and read about the Myers Briggs test I'm an INTJ female. I'm a hardcore loner and do my best on my own.

Forums like this are how I keep n touch with others, if I feel I need it at all. What keeps me going are the numbers on the app.

It's always been hard for me to bond with people anyways. I'm 42 but most people my age don't listen to my kind of music.

I'm morbid. Sarcastic with a dark sense of humor. I think horror films are candy. I have a son, 17, and we bond over gaming, NIN and other things. He's the closest I have to a workout buddy in that we share info about new body weight workouts. That's it. LOL

But my son is an INTJ as well.

I'm married to another introvert and my parents are introverts. So.....

Being social.... What's that? Lol
  • exquisitetrash
    exquisitetrash Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Actually, Barb you may have nailed it there... I'm not much of an extrovert either, which explains a lot. The last time I was hardcore into weightlifting, I managed to get in about as perfect shape as my body will allow by reading books on what to do and what to eat. After awhile, people wanted to tag along to the gym with me, because I knew my stuff. I wouldn't say having those people with me were so much a motivator as a distraction though lol.
  • ozzra8
    ozzra8 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    It's a singular journey for me. I always start off with friends and family and they sabotage me everytime from gradually taking days off from the gym to cheat days. I have 0 will power when someone else is involved in my journey.