Neutral running shoes

Options
emmab0902
emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
Hey everyone

I'm nearly due for replacement shoes and curious about what's good. I currently have New Balance 790v3 which are quite light (7.6oz/215g) with about a 12mm heel drop.
I have had them for two years and they're still comfortable as, probably because I've been sporadic with my running but I would have probably done well over 400km in them.

I don't want to spend a fortune because I'm primarily a swimmer and want to save my money to blow on a tech suit lol.

I will be running almost exclusively on pavements and probably up to 20km a week so not a high mileage runner.

Any recommendations would be awesome!!

Replies

• litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    Why not just get another pair the same if you still like them? You should be able to get a previous season's colours online for not too much money. And if the old pair is still comfortable, keep them too and rotate both pairs. 400km is not that much, especially if you aren't that heavy and the shoes get a break between runs, and you'll be able to tell when they're worn out because they'll feel different to the newer pair.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I like Litsy's advice. Or, try a Nike Pegasus. It is a simple, basic shoe that has been around forever -- which means it doesn't have a lot of the trendy, latest features that come and go. I wear them because they come in different widths.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I third litsy's advice. If you find something that works for you, stick with it. I have been wearing the same shoe for years. I have tried others, but I keep coming back to my tried and true. I order them on-line and usually kind find last year's model at a good price. There is usually very little difference from one year to the next. If I find I particularly good deal, I order several pairs.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Pretty much every brand makes a decent shoe these days, it's just a matter of finding one that fits well and feels good. I agree with litsy... if you like what you've got, why not get another pair? Otherwise, a neutral trainer is a pretty common shoe type among most brands. Runner's world has some shoe buying guides, and many brands' websites will sort shoes by type/fit. Or at the very least, list the type/fit with each model.

As for recommendations... we all have our preferences based on what has worked for us. But that doesn't mean they will work well for you. The extent of my recommendation will be this - the Mizunos I've had in the past don't seem to last as long as some of the other brands I've had. While durability isn't a hugely important factor for me (I'm OK replacing my shoes each season if needed), it is worth nothing.
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. My model no longer exists but I might contact New Balance here and ask which current shoe is most similar :smiley:
  • runfoorun
    runfoorun Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    The Nike Air Pegasus is a great go to shoe I recommend for anyone. It's soft, light, cushy and neutral. The model itself has been around for years. I'm more of a trail runner so I stick with those on pavement.
  • beeblebrox82
    beeblebrox82 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
  • beeblebrox82
    beeblebrox82 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    check out the New Balance Fresh Foam Boracay, it's about the same weight in a neutral shoe, it's a neutral trainer. They are ~75 bucks at running warehouse.com
  • brianlundlarsen
    brianlundlarsen Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I like the 1080 series. They are slightly heaver but not anything like Asics Nimbus which I rotate into sometimes (feels like a heavy foam pillow under my feat compared to the NB).
  • djscavone
    djscavone Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I'm a brooks ghost fan and when I could no longer get GHOST 6 I got GHOST 7 and now they have GHOST 8. Like others said stick with what has been good for you. But if you want to change, GHOST is a relatively inexpensive neutral with decent reviews.
  • tkillion810
    tkillion810 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of the Newton Fate. They have lugs on the bottom that have helped me to transition from a big time heel striker to more of a mid foot strike.
  • dan323
    dan323 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Well I like Brooks Ghost. I also have Hoka Huaka's I run in. I just purchased a pair of Saucony Triumphs at Running Warehouse for $68.00, Almost half price. But as Itsy3 said, go with what works best for you.
  • amclayton4
    amclayton4 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Brooks Launch 2 (also try the 3 that came out three days ago!) are my go to!
  • dixiech1ck
    dixiech1ck Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Do you have a local running store to you? I'd go get yourself fitted and this way you can try on others and make the decision that is right for you. I used to run in Ghosts by Brooks until they screwed up the model in the 7's. I turned to the ASICS Gel Cumulus and like it so much better. My knees and shins no longer hurt and my hips aren't in pain from the way the bottoms wear down.
  • rrcoffey
    rrcoffey Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    amclayton4 wrote: »
    Brooks Launch 2 (also try the 3 that came out three days ago!) are my go to!

This is me, too. But, I, too, agree with sticking with what you like/know is comfortable. Knowing that the Launch 3 just came out and Brooks has a tendency to jack up "upgrades," I purchased 3 pairs of the 2 for cheap money knowing I go through them in 6-7 months. So, I won't have to worry about re-evaluating until next year :)