Knee pain, should I still walk?

Options
I was walking three days a week, 2 miles each time. This was an accomplishment for me because I have fibromyalgia and have to build my exercise up slowly. Then I got a job. I do a lot of squatting and walking in my job. I also have bad knees. Well, I have been working for almost three months now and I would imagine my knees should have had time to adjust. But my right knee hurts, sometimes really badly and sometimes not at all. I seem to be ok walking but when I bend my knees, like to squat or sit, it hurts. Should I try to get back into walking again?

Replies

• bandit5125
    bandit5125 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    are you stretching?
  • SweetPeasMom55
    SweetPeasMom55 Posts: 3,385 Member
    Options
    I suffer from fibromyalgia I continue to walk. Now jumping and squatting i do stay away from. I have severe knee damage and atrophy in my one leg. It s all up to you.
  • TigerSunStorm
    TigerSunStorm Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    bandit5125 wrote: »
    are you stretching?

Yes, I do the stretching with the videos.
  • TigerSunStorm
    Options
    I suffer from fibromyalgia I continue to walk. Now jumping and squatting i do stay away from. I have severe knee damage and atrophy in my one leg. It s all up to you.

I love doing the walking videos. I guess I'll just have to hope they don't make my knee worse. Hopefully, the walking will make it better. Thanks
  • PinkyPan1
    PinkyPan1 Posts: 3,018 Member
    Options
    I have chronic pain and arthritic knees. I pop ibuprofen and spray icy hot on my knees prior to walking. After 30 minutes my knees feel better. I can not do the bouncing and jumping that Leslie does in some of the videos. I can do the boosted walking but not the big twists and bouncing. I stick pretty much to the lower impact walks. Do you have a knee brace? I sometimes where one but now that I have muscular legs it tends to be too tight on me.
  • TigerSunStorm
    Options
    PinkyPan1 wrote: »
    I have chronic pain and arthritic knees. I pop ibuprofen and spray icy hot on my knees prior to walking. After 30 minutes my knees feel better. I can not do the bouncing and jumping that Leslie does in some of the videos. I can do the boosted walking but not the big twists and bouncing. I stick pretty much to the lower impact walks. Do you have a knee brace? I sometimes where one but now that I have muscular legs it tends to be too tight on me.

I have tried various different pain relief methods (ibuprofen, acetamenaphin, and various rubs) nothing helps. The pain I have when doing the videos goes down the outside and back of my calf. I guess I will just start out with a one mile walk and see how it goes and work back up to more miles :)
  • Loosing63
    Loosing63 Posts: 668 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I have been walking for a long time, but I got a joint injury and a stress fracture in my foot when I tried to "ramp it up" with short intervals of running. I wasn't supposed to put a lot of weight on my foot so walking was out of the question for a couple of months. In order to still be on the road to weight loss, I used a stationary bike and did a lot of squats. I recovered from my foot injury, but now I got a problem with my knee! I never had knee pain before. I overused the "Vastus Medialis" muscle with too much squatting. Does this describe your knee pain:

http://www.myofascialtherapy.org/symptom-checker/symptomcheck/symptom_leg_medialis.html

You can probably still do gentle walking (no knee-ups) and definitely no squats. You should rest the leg and use ice-packs on the painful area. Ibuprofen should help with pain and inflammation. This is of course no medical advise and it would be best to get it checked out by a physician.
  • bandit5125
    bandit5125 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    I have that pain, also when I squat or do kickbacks. I am seeing an ortho jan7 for it. I have tried braces and meds as well, no luck. I will let you know what the orthos says. I am doing low impact walking for now so I can keep walking.
  • Loosing63
    Loosing63 Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    Same here. So for now I just do some "normal" walking and no workouts. I also noticed the pain kicks up a notch when I walk down stairs.