Curbing the loose skin.

Options
nilklynn
nilklynn Posts: 61 Member
How have you guys dealt with the loose skin? I feel like mine is getting really bad and noticable! My snarky side says when I walk I'm at risk of giving myself a black eye... From the jiggle and rebound of my thighs! I go to the gym several days a week, but oh vey! Downward facing dog... It pulls the curtain over my eyes! I've always been big but never jiggly like this!

I've lost 135 and ideally have another 50-70 to go. What have you done to keep from looking (and feeling) quite so deflated!!

Replies

• KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    After now losing right at 130 pounds (20 more to goal) I feel that some plastic surgery will be in order, for this very reason. I don't believe there is any other remedy for it (other than regaining the weight, which ain't happening). But yea, being able to fold my boobs in half now is an issue that will be dealt with at some point!
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    After losing 200+ lbs, I have gotten pretty good about disguising my loose skin with my clothing. It's about all I can do at this point. I am still super self conscious when I wear short sleeves, especially at the gym - I feel like when I am on the elliptical, my loose arm skin must look like a blur! I will likely get plastic surgery, starting with my arms because they are the most visible part of me, and like Karlottap said, there might not be another remedy.
  • kcbhopkins
    kcbhopkins Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    After losing 120 lbs, I'm doing the same...getting good at hiding it with my clothes. I'd love plastic surgery, but not an option for me now. What I'm trying to do is view it as a victory...a reminder of how far I've come. I'm hardly ever successful at that, but I keep trying to view it like that.
  • joysie1970
    joysie1970 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Even the best I know who are body building are getting plastic surgery for skin - so while I think there is some rebound of the skin, it's all individual and depends on your skin and your losses (down 217 today). My arms sag a good six inches - ain't no amount of lifting that is going to get rid of that - plastics are in my future too...
  • nilklynn
    nilklynn Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Thank you all. I talked to my surgeon today. He said to track every last rash and bump and chafe. And maybe, eventually, insurance will pay.

Do you think you'll go the plastics route? I'm trying to learn to "love the skin I'm in" pun intended. I'm worried that cutting won't help any... And I'll just want more and more and still not be satisfied with myself.

Man, the psychological struggle is real!

Thanks for your input!!
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I have actually dabbled a little, my face got SO saggy after my weight loss, I felt like I didn't look like myself, so I got Juvaderm injections. It's very subtle and my face isn't frozen like it would be if I had gotten botox, but it made me feel like myself again and I am very glad I did it. I really do think I will have some type of skin surgery, probably starting with my arms like I mentioned before. We can love the skin we are in, but we can also do whatever it might takes to make ourselves more comfortable, you know? That level of comfort is different for everyone and you will figure out what you want to accept and what you want to change!
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    I will have some done, at some point. I actually have set a goal to be a patient of our plastic surgeon before the end of 2016. I want something done with my boobs (there's nothing left! Lol!), and a tummy tuck. I don't have any rashes....to even try to get insurance to pay. I did warn my husband that this would be a future expense. I'm not sure if he realizes how close I am!
  • nataliestratton3
    nataliestratton3 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I really do not like mine and yes plastic surgery is in order. Mainly in my belly apron area! I gave birth to a beautiful 10 pound 22 1/2 bouncing baby boy 34 years ago. So I have had this apron for almost a lifetime! Problem with me having surgery is its not covered on insurance and I don't play much lotto!!
  • joysie1970
    joysie1970 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Plastics is definitely in my future! I didn't bust my butt to lose this weight to not be comfortable in my skin - my arms are my first on the hit list and honestly the only thing right now... my legs are bad too but I don't wear shorts and I am okay with wearing a cute skirted swimsuit at my age. But not being able to wear tee shirts really gets me - I have to wear half sleeves at least - you can see my tiny arms in there I have some guns too! I want to be able to wear tanks and tees in the summer - I am scheduling something asap! Only nine months out right now, so I have to be patient. I can't even shave without cutting myself - its awful, that skin is going even if I have to pay!
  • GalgoMomAnita
    GalgoMomAnita Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Karlottap wrote: »
    But yea, being able to fold my boobs in half
    I totally laughed out loud with this one! I'm right there with you. I will be losing a total of about 76 lbs from my higher recent weight (sleeved 9/10), which isn't a big amount, but I'm down almost 60 lbs. from that and I'm starting to see skin issues on my waist and thighs. So far the heavy weights have been enough to make my arms look less jiggly than before. I have yet to find a machine at the gym that fixes my boobs...grrrr!
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    The struggles are............................you guessed it, REAL!! Lol!
  • 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    I'm down 125 lbs, and yes...I have a lot of loose skin. But with a passel of kids to put through college, I don't expect to be able to afford plastics before I'm too old for it to matter, lol. I'm not sure I'd be any happier with scars than the sag, anyway. My arms are ok everywhere but the very back, but they're improving with lifting. Camisoles hide any jiggly bits in the tummy under form-fitting blouses. And I much prefer capris to shorts...
  • dsjsmom23
    dsjsmom23 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I had plastic surgery. I had lost 120 pounds, was at my goal, and went in and had a circumferential trunk lift (lower body lift)
    Ended up losing another 10 pounds of skin. I didn't need any lipo. It was all skin that they took off.
    I would do it again in a heartbeat! Best decision (aside from my sleeve) that I ever made!
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    Thanks for the post of your experience with plastic surgery @dsjsmom23! I keep dropping the "plastic surgery"topic around my hubby, lol! I'm hoping he won't act surprised when I tell him I've made the appointment!

One thing about the trunk work I plan will likely include the loss of one tattoo (on my left hip). I believe it's location will be in the way of the future suture line! Oh well, will get a second chance on that one! Lol!

• dsjsmom23
    dsjsmom23 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    @Karlottap if you have any questions, feel free to PM me!
  • ImaWaterBender
    ImaWaterBender Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I LOVE seeing loose skin. Am I nutz? I've been fat for so long. Seeing the absence of fat makes my day.
  • milaortiz30
    milaortiz30 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    i'm losing prolly 70-90lbs and if i can afford it i will do plastic surgery in a heart beat. i went thru a lot of trouble, cost and sacrifice to do this and i'll continue to go as far as i need to to get the body of my dreams or close to it. i'm thinking arms, tummy tuck and possibly lower body depending on how my body/skin reacts to the final losses. so far (at 46lbs down) im doing 'ok'. i work out a lot too - so we'll see.
  • tweety4bonnie4
    tweety4bonnie4 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    ImaWaterBen... I understand what you mean. I feel better just knowing I don't have all that fat under my skin and that will continue to be less and less as time goes on. I can't have plastic surgery unless my insurance would pay for it. I an working out and trying to tighten things up as much as I can. I wish everyone all the best in what ever you decide to do about the shin.
  • dcc56
    dcc56 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I'm still not comfortable with my loose skin, I try hard to get over it. The mirror is not kind. I don't think I am at the personal goal I have set for myself. I have some major wrinkles where I used to have major pads of fat...wasn't exactly prepared to have to see that but I guess it is a sign of progress. I don't think plastic surgery is an option for me, where would I begin, I have so many areas of looseness. But I feel one thousand times better without 100 pounds. So I am working hard at the gym to tone up and gain more muscles. Going on 60 makes this a challenge too but I'll keep going. Good luck.