How are you doing so far?

2»

Replies

• xena871
    xena871 Posts: 2 Member
    Well, walking more (again) and being more aware of what I'm eating (portion and content) but once again, stuck at the same weight. Thankful I haven't gained in awhile but still haven't lost anything either.... :-/ Would love some realistic ideas for a FT (desk job) momma with 5 kiddos age 5-14.... thanks so much! Keep up the AMAZING work ya'll - WE can DO THIS! even, if we are 'maintaining'...
  • madifehling
    madifehling Posts: 71 Member
    luckey88 wrote: »
    Christmas Day is almost upon is, gift giving is speeding up; I'm faced with people who give baked goods as a gifts- the temptation is hard. I'm so worried, I want to be able get past this time, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. :)

That is so true, Luckey88, that Christmas Day is almost here and gift giving is speeding up. It's hard to avoid the unhealthy gifts, especially when we don't want to hurt the giftgiver's feelings. We recommend letting your friends, family, and coworkers know now that you are trying to be mindful of what you are eating and to please not gift you with food. Instead, a hand written card or just time spent together is much more meaningful. If you do receive a tempting gift, have a small amount (pre-portioned, not from the container) and put the rest away out of site and hidden, re-gift it, or throw it out. It is unfortunate to do that, but it's not worth the extra calories or the guilty feelings it will bring. You can do it Lucky88- let us know how it goes! :smile:
  • madifehling
    xena871 wrote: »
    Well, walking more (again) and being more aware of what I'm eating (portion and content) but once again, stuck at the same weight. Thankful I haven't gained in awhile but still haven't lost anything either.... :-/ Would love some realistic ideas for a FT (desk job) momma with 5 kiddos age 5-14.... thanks so much! Keep up the AMAZING work ya'll - WE can DO THIS! even, if we are 'maintaining'...

Way to go Xena871! Maintaining our weight is the goal of the Holiday Challenge and you are on the right track! It can be hard and discouraging to lose weight during this season of the year, so that is why we recommend just focusing on maintaining your weight until the New Year. That deserves to be celebrated! Celebrate and notice the way you are feeling, the energy you have, how your body moves and the eating choices you are making, even if the numbers on the scale aren't exactly what you want to see. :smile: For a desk job, we recommend taking breaks and walking throughout the day. Even just using the stairs instead of the elevator, going down a floor to use the restroom, walking to a coworker instead of sending an email- these steps will add up. Set a reminder to get up and stretch or walk every hour, and here are some fun exercises we love: https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/health/workout-at-work/. Now is a great time to be active with your kids; walking around the neighborhood to see the lights, ice skating, dance parties, jumping jacks during commercials, have them join you in your activities. Keep up the GREAT work and keep us updated-- we are cheering you on!! :smile: :smile:
  • evinston
    evinston Posts: 31 Member
    You know what really gets set aside for me during holidays?...sleep. And, sleep is so important to achieving a healthy weight. I find that a lack of sleep can result in weight gain or at the least a halt to weight loss. So I'm trying to make an extra effort to sleep a little bit more.
  • madifehling
    evinston wrote: »
    You know what really gets set aside for me during holidays?...sleep. And, sleep is so important to achieving a healthy weight. I find that a lack of sleep can result in weight gain or at the least a halt to weight loss. So I'm trying to make an extra effort to sleep a little bit more.

YES evinston! Sleep is so important, and often something that is pushed aside. That is an excellent point, and sleep has a direct effect on our weight. You might find this webinar we recorded on Sleep very insightful-- you can find it here (toward the bottom of the page): https://esmmweighless.com/newsletter-webinars/
  • evinston
    evinston Posts: 31 Member
    I can't claim to have been hyper vigilant about logging for the past several days, but now that company is all gone I'm back to normal. Getting right back to what I know I have to do is one of the most important lessons I've learned on this journey to better health. I've failed at perfection repeatedly, and I'll continue in those occasional missteps. But, making the turn back, as soon as possible, to the right road is critical. Blessings to you all today :)
  • jackiej823
    jackiej823 Posts: 1 Member
    After I seen that I was gaining again I made up my mind to start counting the calories and of course the holidays are the worse time to even try. Well my will power and small portions brought me through. I weighed and have lost. YA!!!! thank you Lord for the strength to over come the temptations. Hang in there guys we can do it.
  • Pammie8819
    Pammie8819 Posts: 2 Member
    I have maintained throughout the Thanksgiving and Christmas. The last week of the year has been a bummer since I have to actually go on a one week prep diet for gastro tests. I cannot eat foods high in fiber. I feel sluggish, bloated and put on a couple pounds. Hoping to loose it after test on Monday.
  • luckey88
    luckey88 Posts: 13 Member
    I think I have maintained through out the holidays. I won't weigh in until Monday the 4th being that I actually started a few days before the challenge began. One thing that kind of held me accountable was logging my food intake on myfitness, If I went over I felt awful, and it helped me plan what I was going to eat even more.
    I wished we checked in here more than we did, but its always next time. When will be the next challenge?
    Thank you all who participated and all of your support.