Anemia, almost 5 years post VSG

Options
Has anyone else who's had VSG dealt with anemia later on? My Ferritin was 5 a month ago, and hemoglobin has fallen from 13.3 to 11.2 in a month's time.. I'm on 325 mg a day of iron supplements and am focusing on better nutrition... any thoughts/experiences/suggestions? Appears to be due to heavy/unusual cycles; I'm 36

Replies

• bikrchk
    bikrchk Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I'm 2 years out. My iron saturation was a little low at my last physical but not dangerously so. I changed the iron tablet I was popping mid day (iron should be taken alone as other minerals can affect absorption), to a chewable +C, (C helps with absorption), so hopefully it goes back where it belongs. If you're mixing your iron with anything other than C, I'd adjust that. Unfortunately anemia is not that uncommon after WLS. You could get infusions if you can't fix it with oral supplements. If your cycles are unusually heavy, might want to get that checked as well. Could be an alternate cause there. (I say that as a woman who's been treated for fibroids which in me, caused very heavy cycles).
  • wifeydevine
    wifeydevine Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I take 325 mg of ferrous fumarate at night before bed with a vitmain c pill. I am on two different bc pills now for the cycles, and I go back to the dr next month. If it's no better or the anemia is worse she is sending me for a endometrial biopsy and consult for ablation
  • loriloftness
    loriloftness Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I have issue with anemia, but have had the issue on/off for years. My NUT has me changing my iron pills from the extended-release type I was getting from Target to a brand called Vitron-C. It has the vitamin C added that helps your body absorb more of the iron. You probably already know not to take iron with any type of calcium or dairy product. I take 2 iron pills per day along with what I get in my multivitamins. I am hoping to get my iron closer to normal w/in the next few months. My doc told me that taking the iron pills in the dosage they show on the iron box is not a therapeutic dosage, so if you want to get your iron level back to normal sooner, you may want to check w/your doc to see if you should be taking extra.
  • grim_traveller
    grim_traveller Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Has anyone else who's had VSG dealt with anemia later on? My Ferritin was 5 a month ago, and hemoglobin has fallen from 13.3 to 11.2 in a month's time.. I'm on 325 mg a day of iron supplements and am focusing on better nutrition... any thoughts/experiences/suggestions? Appears to be due to heavy/unusual cycles; I'm 36

You need to see a hematologist right away. There is no way you will get your ferritin numbers up without iron infusions. Oral iron is not going to be nearly enough for you.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    My experience in the fight against WLS nutritional issues that I feel pertain to this topic!:
    After my six month lab work that said all serum levels were "normal" I was seeing my neurologist. While there I mentioned to him about my toes hurting to the point that just the sheet laying on them at night was very bothersome! He immediately told me about chronic B12 deficiency in WLS patients. Telling me that even though the serum levels were normal, we aren't able to absorb enough needed by the central nervous system to maintain health when only using oral supplements. He put me on injections, weekly, that day! I can tell if I miss a dose because the symptoms return quickly!

B12 deficiency leads to pernicious anemia which leads to a myriad of other issues! Don't always trust the lab results, trust how you feel! Also, the feeling of sores on the tongue is another sign of B12 deficiency!

Best of luck with a resolution to your problem!
  • mrsdean4
    mrsdean4 Posts: 17 Member
    Options

Unfortunately, I had a really scary issue with this. I almost passed out during my usual cardio class. Went to the doc the next day and after some stat bloodwork, I found myself getting 2 units of blood due to extreme anemia. I ended up getting several more units over the next month or so, then when I started seeing a hematologist, I got it under control. I just am one of the "lucky" ones who no longer absorbs iron from supplements or food at an adequate level. From my own research, there is a small percentage of VSG patients who have similar problems.

Now, 2 years later, I am living with my chronic iron deficeincy anemia diagnosis. I have my lab work down quarterly and then have infusions of iron (IV) as needed. It's no fun at all, but I feel much much better now. I'm afraid it's most likely going to be lifelong for me. I am just grateful to have knowledge and a good plan.

Best of luck to you, feel free to pm me if you'd like more info about how I've dealt with this.
  • DizsJourney
    DizsJourney Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I have been borderline anemic for years. This started with only being anemic during my cycle, as I have very heavy periods. I guess sometime after surgery, 12/20/12, I became anemic and had to start taking iron once a day. I stopped taking care of myself and went back to old habits. In the process i stopped taking my vitamins, went back to old eating habits & regained a lot of weight. For the past few months, i have been taking my vitamins, including iron. Went to Dr for a sick visit & had them run my bloodwork. Yesterday he called me very concerned. He wants me to double up on my iron pills because Im not absorbing. If this doesnt work, I will need iron transfusions. My ferritin is at 6 & my hemoglobin is 11.3. Im 42 years old. Really hoping doubling up works. Im tired of feeling exhausted all the time!