Keto and PCOS?

Options
macchiatto
macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
If you eat keto, how has it affected your cycle?
I thought mine got more regular on a previous moderately low carb diet, but on keto it's been wacky. Four or five days after I started keto, my cycle started even though it had only been 26 days (mine are usually more like 31-34 days but sometimes much longer).
Then this next cycle was 44 days and when TOM finally came, it was so light and brief I'm not sure if it even was a cycle.
Just wondering if others had this experience and how long it took to get back to normal.

Replies

• LaurieElla
    LaurieElla Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I kbow keto can affect the flow. Stick it out and it will regulate again.
  • kristafb
    kristafb Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I followed keto for almost 2 years & my cycle went from twice a year (if I was lucky) to every 28 days, like clock work. For the last month I've gone back to eating carbs (stressed out & needed a break) and I'm already 3 days late and feel like utter crap! I'll be going back to keto (or at least very low carb) very soon.
  • UMDavies
    UMDavies Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I was the same - I went from coming on maybe once every four-six months to being regular every month once I started eating keto :)
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    There are a ton of threads discussing this issue in the Keto and LCD groups already. But yeah, it jacks it up one direction or the other for nearly every female on Keto.
  • macchiatto
    edited January 2016
    Options
    @KnitOrMiss thanks I've seen some but wasn't sure if it was different for PCOSers since my impression was that LCHF was good for PCOS. Does it usually stay jacked up long-term? If it makes my PCOS symptoms worse instead of better, it might be worth trying something different.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    It is temporary to be off-kilter, then seems to resume or establish an improved state over previous PCOS misery. As I've indicated in other posts, I take continuous birth control pills due to POP, but my endocrinologist is still tracking my hormone production, and everything has improved while being low carb, including break through bleeding and crazy cramps/mood swings I was having DESPITE being on BCP... So, I think, within 4-6 months, as your hormones and such level off (possibly more or less after pregnancy/childbirth/nursing), that you would reach an improved state. While the particular types of having our cycles screwed up are slightly different, the fact is, non-PCOS stricken women share certain hormone issues with us while adjust to a ketogenic diet, and so while the particulars are different, the hormonal upsets are similar, and the settling rate is similar as well. So while they may get lighter, we may get heavier, or what have you. Not only that, within PCOS, we're all so different. I would say that if you keep your dietary intake steady for 3-6 months (meaning no cheating binges or crazy high carb days - because that will gunk up the whole works) and don't see improvements, then I would go in for testing or something... But yes, overall, long term, a low carb diet is very beneficial for a HUGE number of reasons for PCOS sufferers.
  • macchiatto
    Options
    OK, that's helpful. Thank you!!
  • macchiatto
    Options
    This one looks like a 32-day cycle, so hopefully I'm already getting re-regulated!