Do you drink enough water?

Options
Over the past year I see a lot of people struggle with drinking water or not really knowing how much you drank. I had fit into both of those categories. I was also an avid diet soda drinker. Although drinking water has a plethora of benefits to it, did you know that you can retain water if you're dehydrated? Yes, it kind of surprised me too. I always had swollen ankles and to this day, I can tell by my ankles if I'm getting enough water or not.

I have since veered away from the diet soda (I do still have one can with my lunch at work), and replaced with pretty much all water. But to help me figure out how much I've drank at home, especially on the weekends, I have a gallon jug in the fridge filled with water, that way, I can monitor how much I have had for the day. One gallon equals 16-8oz cups. To add a little variety, I have a glass of iced tea or add a packet of water flavoring to it. I haven't tried the naturally infused water yet (where you add cucumber, watermelon, mint, etc.) but I will be trying that in the future.

What do you do to drink enough water in a day?

Replies

• lemonaid7
    lemonaid7 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I fill 2 large travel cups and drink it on my way to work, I do the same on the way home, the straw and driving boredom seems to make it easy to drink.
  • bm1409
    bm1409 Posts: 1,715 Member
    Options
    I struggle to drink a lot of water in the winter time. I tend to go for hot tea.
  • kaysday
    kaysday Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I try to get in my gallon a day. If I don't, I'm pretty close to it. I also drink coffee in the morning and know that coffee is dehydrating being that its a diuretic. With that being said a little after my morning cup I make sure to follow it with water.
  • countrcowgirl
    countrcowgirl Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    My goal is 10 cups a day or 2500mL I am usually close most days - take water with me every where I go!
  • RamonaMoon
    RamonaMoon Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I sometimes struggle to hit my water target but I always find that when I am drinking enough water, the weight loss is somewhat easier. Aiming for eight glasses of water at the moment, sometimes I surpass that and unfortunately, other days I'm nowhere near!
  • Lesly_Barrett_1209
    Lesly_Barrett_1209 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I have always struggled with drinking enough water. However, my work recently put in a water and ice machine so now I have no excuses. I am trying to drink half my body weight in water. Which right now is 91oz, so roughly 11 cups a day. Yesterday I drank 10 so I am doing pretty good so far :smile:
  • SheenaBall
    SheenaBall Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I have some additional challenges in that we have to filter all our water since we live overseas. But that may draw my attention to it more, causing me to drink more water - and when the water filter has run dry it's painfully slow waiting for it as its a drip filter. So I normally fill up my nalgene right away and can drink 3 of those a day. Also there is the option of drinking hot water, coffee, or tea nearly everywhere in the city so I opt for boiling water a lot and just have to wait for it to reasonably cool. But since we travel to the countryside a lot in the summer that is really hard as we carry out water with us and then have to budget it for the week.
  • sherrirb
    sherrirb Posts: 1,714 Member
    Options
    My goal at one time was a gallon a day. Before we moved my employer had a bottled water service for us and I would drink water using my 20oz water glass - Sometimes I got the whole gallon in at work!
    Now I struggle all the time with water. But I am trying. I have a 32oz bottle that I try to drink during work, I try to drink at least 2 a day at work and then I drink flavored water at home with my dinner. I am close to 100oz a day pretty regular now. But it is still a struggle every day.
  • Brin1956
    Brin1956 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I think I do I drink 8-10 cups a day. I'm staying in the Okanagan this summer where their water has been awarded with some of the best water in the world title. In Grande Prairie it comes from a foul smelling river and it makes me sick. I hate the smell of chlorine as you bring the cup up to your nose. Seems to be very heavy water with a lot of minerals in it.
  • 1crvygrl
    1crvygrl Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I've NEVER been a water drinker. So far this year I've probably only had 1 or 2 glasses. In the past I've literally gone years and not drank any plain water. One of my main goals for this year is to drink A LOT more water, to try to drink some every day and to try to increase from there. I can't take water on an empty stomach either and I'm not a breakfast eater so that not been helping.
  • cheloldroyd
    cheloldroyd Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I try to drink 2 litres of water a day. I buy sparkling water as i find this easier to drink than still. I usually set myself out 4 x 500ml bottles and determine times in which they should be drunk, e.g first bottle to be gone by 10am, 2nd by 12pm, etc