How did you get started?

Options
koing
koing Posts: 179 Member
I got started by complete coincidence. I use to be very skinny and my school Rugby coaches told me to go put on some weight and hit the gym. I was 14 at the time and was 5'10 (still the same height). Looking back it was silly of me to not ask them what to do! I went to the gym once a week for a year, then upgraded to 2x a week for the next 6months.

I made friends with a guy who went to the free weights area downstairs in the matted gym. We trained together and one day I saw my coach coaching this thrower. I instantly was fascinated by what he was doing. He was throwing the weights around and it just looked immense. He was Snatching and Clean and Jerking. I knew it was much better then the random training I was doing and I was hooked. 2 weeks later I entered my first competition. I did 35kg and 45kg at 74kg bw at 15.5yrs of age. That was 15yrs ago!

Koing

Replies

• anderdb76
    anderdb76 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I got started almost two years ago when I was introduced to the Olympic lifts by CrossFit. I don't do much CrossFit anymore but I've stuck with the lifts. I've upped my training time a lot over the past few months and went to a great lifting seminar over the weekend so I'm hoping to see my numbers start going up as my technique improves.

I watched your video in the other thread. Great technique!
  • koing
    koing Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I got started almost two years ago when I was introduced to the Olympic lifts by CrossFit. I don't do much CrossFit anymore but I've stuck with the lifts. I've upped my training time a lot over the past few months and went to a great lifting seminar over the weekend so I'm hoping to see my numbers start going up as my technique improves.

Cool man. Yeah I've found that some people cross over from crossfit as they liked the Oly stuff the best.

Thanks. I should have good technique after 15yrs of training! The first 4yrs I was coached pretty much 3x a week and my coach is a very good coach. I also coach a few guys and girls myself.

If you want me to take a look at your form etc, post a video.

Koing
  • codytriguy
    codytriguy Posts: 12 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    anderdb76 wrote: »

haha. That's how most people find weightlifting? CF is bringing weightlifting back into popularity. I love the sport.

I used to be a triathlete. I got ran over by a vehicle in2011, suffered a TBI. Since then I've gained 140 pounds. I missed competing so I joined a CF box. I found that my favorite part of CF was weightlifting. I started training at a weightlifting specific gym after that. I got onto MFP because I'd like to be more competitive, which means I need to get into a lower weight class. So, I'd like to drop 70 pounds by Dec 31st 2016. That's 1.4 pounds a week. I think thats a low enough drop each week to not negatively effect my training.