Hello there!

Options
I started this group because after searching and searching I could not find a group for people who use these machines. I am NO expert, I have done a decent amount of research and just bought my first machine. I have Fibromyalgia, and want it for pain relief, but have friends who have them who have had wonderful toning and other health benefits. So lets talk!

Replies

• kiddiebqueen17
    kiddiebqueen17 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I do not have (nor have I heard of) whole body vibration. Can you explain what it is or how it works? Sounds interesting?
  • SimplyMicheleR
    SimplyMicheleR Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    It is a device developed by the Russians for their cosmonaut program. The goal was to increase bone density and improve muscle tone for their astronauts before and after space travel. Well, it works, and there are a whole bunch of other clinically researched and documented benefits as well. One person on another thread posted a site that gives info for PTs who use it in their practice. (http://www.vibration-training-advice.com/consumer-guide-and-safety-program)

There are plenty of machines in the $200 - $300 range that will give you the same results at the expensive machines. They do not take the place of actual workouts, but many people have had pretty incredible results with them too..... I have fibromyalgia, and cannot handle going to the gym - 1 day gym = 7-10 days recovery, even if I don't "push myself" so I need to have another option for working out.

That said, I was on it a total of 7.5 minutes yesterday, and feel like I was in the gym an hour (2.5 minutes in the morning on a low setting to get my muscles to loosen up, and a 5 minute "training" session.)
  • Elibasia
    Elibasia Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I use it at Planet Fitness and find it very relaxing after my workout. The one in the gym has infrared lights that are supposed to help with skin tone.
  • SimplyMicheleR
    SimplyMicheleR Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I have been hearing about the infrared lights. Wonder how that works?

I am wondering why only PTs seem to be using it as part of an exercise regime, in general.