Predominant frame color over the years?

Options
I got to thinking and wondered out of all the bikes I have ever owned, what is the predominant color I get?

After running math here are my findings.

First choice....White.

Next choice...Black, grey or chrome (3 way tie).

Next...Purple, green or red.

What about you? Of all your bikes over the years, what is the predominant paint color?

Replies

• L_Master
    L_Master Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I'm only at one bike. 2014 primarily black Cannondale CAAD 10.
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,682 Member
    Options
    this might take some time to compile... I'd better start a list

(first problem is, I've not actually bought many BIKES per-se - BITD, gruppo's didn't change every year as a fashion thing, so you bought you're Campag Record groupset, and just swapped whatever you managed to damage in crashes as and when. So, It's probably best to list frames... Second Problem - I often had frames re-finished in a different colour)

first bike - dunno name, catalog special when I was 4-5 y.o. - Blue
    second bike - Raleigh 14" wheel kids bike - Blue
    first "real" roadbike - Bronze (hammerite, handpainted, rough as arseholes but I loved it because it was my bike)
    Raleigh Lenton Sports - Green
    Carlton Pro 531 - Silver
    Woodrup Custom - Red
    Bob Jackson 531 Custom - Red
    Bob Jackson 753 Custom - Red
    Raleigh TT Frame - White
    Alan Cyclocross Frame - Silver
    Holdsworth Fixed Gear Frame - Orange
    Raleigh 531 - White
    Raleigh 531 - Red (old TI Raleigh Colours!)
    Raleigh 531 commuter hack - White
    Bianchi Track Frame - Chrome
    Raleigh Thunder Road (hybrid commuter) - Black/Green
    Pace RC100 MTB - Silver
    Raleigh Odyssey MTB - Silver
    Dawes Galaxy - British Racing Green (re-stoved in Black)
    Dawes 531 winter Hack - Red (re-stoved in Blue following season)
    Raleigh Dynatech 753 - White
    Pinarello Treviso - Blue
    Bianchi (forget the model, Columbus Cromor) - Celeste (naturally!)
    Colnago Master (art Deco) - Blue
    Raleigh Dynatech 701 - Black (with very loud stickers!)
    Planet-X superlight Alu - Blue
    On-One Inbred 456 - Red
    Dolan Tuono SL - Black/White
    Cannondale CaadX 105 - Black

(there's probably another half a dozen or more that I've had, kept for a week/month and punted on (used to moonlight at a bike shop in my teens, and suplemented my wages/built up my bike fund by buying, restoring and selling bikes!), but all of the above have been regular rides...)

so I guess it's red and blue tying for first place with 6 votes each, then a tie for third with Black and white on 5 votes each (though, in fairiness, I think I'd give the vote to Black, as the Tuono IS really more black than White, it's just that from the saddle, you see more white than black...)

If I figured in all the other bikes I've had on a shorter term, then it'd definitely get complicated, but I'm thinking that RED would come out on top - mainly because the local stove-enamelling company used to do such a fantastic "Flamboyant Ferrari Rosso" finish that nearly all the ones that I re-furbed and had re-stoved ended up in that colourway...

• beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Over the past 50 years I have had a lot of bikes, even more than TheBigYin posted above. I currently have six with three being red and three being blue.

If I had to put money on it, I would wager that I have had more blue bikes than any other color.
  • Archon2
    Archon2 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I haven't owned many cycles over my lifetime, but here goes...it is a short one, and the only repeat is black!
    1. Red tricycle from when I was maybe 3 years old. I got it for Christmas and had to ride it even though there was two feet of snow outside. My Dad obliged tho!
    2. Orange Chopper-style bike with banana seat bike typical for the early 1970s, with three speed hub. God, I loved this bike and rode the hell out of it, on-road and lots of off road.
    3. Blue 10-speed typical of mid 1980s. Might of been a Schwinn but I don't remember. Rode this all over until I destroyed it in a crash. Then quit cycling for several years.
    4. Black dept-store mountain bike (circa 1993). Rode this for a few years then sold it.
    5. Brown-ish Fuji I got for free (and still use as commuter bike)
    6. Black Moto MTB
    7. Green/White Cannondale Synapse
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    #1 - black (5 bikes)
    #2 - white (4 bikes)

• mogginsthemog
    mogginsthemog Posts: 35 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    '60s - 2 tone blue 'Triumph'
    '70s - Halfords bike ?. Yellow, then respray to red.
    90s - Maroon /silver 'Townsend'
    " - Dk Green 'Rigeback'
    2000+ Slate grey 'Cannondale' CAAD Hybrid
    2013 Silver 'Dawes' folder/shopper. Easy for having had Hip-replacement.
    Now.. Dk Grey/red 'Giant' Escape. Can get 'leg-over' now and planning to be ready for spring. Road/path countrylanes..
  • denversillygoose
    denversillygoose Posts: 708 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I don't think I've ever had the same color twice.

pink Schwinn with flower banana seat (so awesome!)
    grey "big girl bike". My first brand new bike
    blue hand me down from my brother
    NO BIKE FOR ALMOST 20 YEARS- the sad and lazy era
    orange Trek hand me down mtn bike from my mom
    black Trek 7.5fx My First Bike Purchase!
    red/white Trek 2.1 hand me down (nice freaking hand me down! thanks, mom)
    white Cannondale Tango. Meh. Gave it to my mom
    green Novaro single speed. adorkable bike. Ridden twice because CO is hilly af
    neon yellow Salsa Warbird. Sexy
    white Salsa Mukluk

I guess I've never had too much say in the color of my bike. My yellow Salsa is the first color choice I really got to make. Makes sense that it's also my favorite.

• Spatialized
    Spatialized Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    No consistency, although it leans darker, kind of.
    1: silver/blue BMX
    2: cola colored 10-speed (supposed to look like Dr. Pepper...yes, my dad won it in a sponsored by Dr. Pepper and gave it to me replete with Dr. Pepper logos)
    3: purple Trek MTB
    4: red Specialized MTB
    5: black Marin hybrid/advednture

So nope, no consistency.
  • Roza42
    Roza42 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Green won by one bike.
    1. Purple schwinn with banana boat seat.
    2. Green sears bike.
    3. White discount store bike.
    4. burgundy Specialized MTB, 1st real bike. Loved it. Wish I hadn't sold it when I moved cross country.
    5. White Specialized hybrid which sucked compared to the Hard Rock, gave it to my niece when I was pregnant.
    6. Grey Giant hybrid. Horrible bike. I should have figured out after the first hybrid.
    7. Green Yuba cargo bike. Great bad weather commuter.
    8. Dark Green Bike Friday tandem.
    9. Blue Trek flat bar road bike. Which I gave to the same niece after one summer.
    9. Orange Bike Friday cargo bike. This is the only bike that I actually got to choose the color.
    10. Gold Soma mixte.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Pretty much black. My first $400 hard tail MTB was black, then a white hand-me-down FS MTB, followed by my current black with green accents MTB, and my black w/ red accents CX.