What do you tell people?

Options
dan_IRL
dan_IRL Posts: 204 Member
So, my immediate coworkers and close family know about my new journey and are extremely supportive.

Everyone else knows that I have struggled with weight for many many years, but don't know about the "New Direction" I am headed in.

I am somewhat hesitant to preach it from the mountain top because it is a bit of a controversial topic and everyone has an opinion on everything. Quite frankly, I don't want to deal with explaining myself or the choice I am making to every single person.

What do you tell people you are doing when situations arise?

Replies

• yellowdaisy3321
    yellowdaisy3321 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I told people that I didn't want to explain it to that I was doing a medically supervised diet and I had to eat their food, no further detail.

At work it was easy because I work for a medical group and the doctor is associated with our medical group and our company pays for employees to do the program because of the relationship. So most employees know about the program and our COO along with many coworkers have done or are doing the program.
  • ESueM67
    ESueM67 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    The people I work with are starting to bring this as I am nearing a 70 pound loss, and I really do look different now. When the topic comes up, I tell people that I am on a physician prescribed weight loss program. If they express a genuine interest and ask me questions, I answer them honestly. So far everyone has been respectful, supportive and complimentary.
  • Ladybug_Karen
    Ladybug_Karen Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I tell people it's a dr supervised VLCD and if they probe more I will answer a few questions. When I tell them about the meal replacements they usually say that they need real food and there's no way they could do that. But a few have come back and asked for contact info.
    I don't give them all the details but if it's someone that could benefit from the program, I offer the program card to them with the contact info.
  • dan_IRL
    dan_IRL Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Good info pals! Thanks for sharing.
  • erock0628
    erock0628 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing. I've told close friends and family. But I hate having to keep on explaining myself. But I try to be open because this was my decision and I'm the one that's doing it not anyone else. But if I feel an once of negativity I get defensive lol but I just don't want to be ashamed of this process.
  • sarahlyd
    sarahlyd Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I've been struggling with this myself. I was a little hesitant to talk about this with my extended family. They would be supportive, it just seems so personal.

I ended up telling a co-worker about it yesterday because my switch to decaf coffee was a big eyebrow raiser in the office. She was supportive but was concerned about the *very* low calorie part of the equation. I'm only in the first week of the program, so I imagine more of these conversations will happen as I decline lunches out with coworkers.
  • erock0628
    erock0628 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I always follow that with its medically supervised and that I see the doctor every week. I don't even mention that it's a very low cal diet.