Withdrawl symptoms

Options
CricketClover
CricketClover Posts: 388 Member
I have been gluten free for two weeks now. Doing an elimination diet to see if it helps my digestive issues (doctors orders) and also I have done a lot of research that there has been positive results with Hashimoto's patients (me). Last week I could hardly keep my eyes open and then all of a sudden I felt "clear headed" if that makes sense. Then I broke out in this horrible rash, it looked and felt like I had flea bites all over my body, nothing like this had ever happened. I read that some people have experienced fatigue, brain fog, and skin issues as a result of a gluten withdrawl or gluten "detox". Have any of you experienced something similar? Thanks in advance.

Replies

• no_more_weighting
    no_more_weighting Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    That's a really interesting problem you have - I've never heard of any gluten withdrawal symptoms. When I went gluten free two years ago, I had absolutely no symptoms other than gradually getting better and better. Quite honestly I feel that your symptoms can be unrelated to gluten, I mean it's not like our bodies really need it or crave it - we don't miss out on anything by not eating bread or pasta... I'd investigate any potential allergens that you might have introduced into your 'new' diet. Especially if replacing regular processed products with gluten free processed products that may contain ingredients you might not have encountered in your 'old' diet.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    That's a really interesting problem you have - I've never heard of any gluten withdrawal symptoms. When I went gluten free two years ago, I had absolutely no symptoms other than gradually getting better and better. Quite honestly I feel that your symptoms can be unrelated to gluten, I mean it's not like our bodies really need it or crave it - we don't miss out on anything by not eating bread or pasta... I'd investigate any potential allergens that you might have introduced into your 'new' diet. Especially if replacing regular processed products with gluten free processed products that may contain ingredients you might not have encountered in your 'old' diet.

I agree with this, I've never heard of a flea bite like rash.
  • agreenid
    agreenid Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    When I did the elimination diet I had terrible withdrawal symptoms. Whether it was from gluten or some of the other things I ended up having to cut I don't know. It was about 3 weeks before I started feeling better--and yes, it was crippling fatigue (I couldn't even make the whole drive home, I had to pull over and take a nap about half way home), headaches and mood swings until one day I just started feeling better and more normal. I did break out in a rash about a month in but that was because I had eaten something with almonds (which I later found out I was allergic to) so the rash might be something else your body is reacting to. If you're doing elimination I would really stick to foods you're cooking from scratch (as hard as that is) to keep your results and potential reactions to a minimum.
  • D4nielles
    D4nielles Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've been gluten free for a week now and I've had the most horrendous headaches with fatigue, to the point where i actually wanted to eat some bread to take the headache away. I've stuck at it though and today i feel absolutely great. My head feels clear and my eyes feel brighter, its amazing how something so simple could cause you so many problems.
  • dsswarpigs
    dsswarpigs Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    i am about a month into gluten free(reduced). Suggested to try by nurse friend and extensive research. I have had psoriasis for several years and given up going to derm (tried creams and light therapy). Initial help but not long term. Refused to go on immune system drugs. So my skin is getting better(i think). The first week or so i just started cutting back. no major affects. Cut most out second or so week. Tired, moody, grumpy, etc.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Reduced can help a bit, but usually you will have to be very strict to see good long lasting results. I was wheat free for many years with only limited success until I went totally GF (celiac style).
  • TaraTall
    TaraTall Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I agree with the allergy assessment. I didn't have any skin issues when I cut out gluten but the other symptoms ring true. It was like the worst hangover - ever. Then one weekend, I woke up and had a REAL BM. (Husband and I high-fived for it lol) and I felt amazing. Clear head, energy, focus. It was unreal.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    I also want to reiterate the potential that youare having an allergic reaction to something you have introduced into your diet after cutting out gluten. I've been gluten free for a few years now (and I don't recall any "detox" symptoms from it, but maybe there were), however, recently I ate some Glutino brand gluten free pretzels and had an intolerance reaction. I normally don't consume such heavily processed foods, but someone gave me a box at work. To make a long story short, I had the worst case of vertigo that I've had in a long time and then a horendous migraine. I finally looked at the super long list of ingredients and sure enough there was yeast extract (MSG) in them... So, I'd look at what else you are eating or eating instead of gluten products as things like hives sound more like an allergic reaction. Just my two cents.
  • alicjakrol
    alicjakrol Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other posters about possible allergens. I have gone through the elimination diet with no withdrawal symptoms or other reactions. I did an elimination diet too, I kept eating all the same foods I used to eat, except those containing gluten. I did NOT add any new processed foods to replace the gluten, I did NOT eat "gluten free" bread or any other GF pastries since I knew those contained ingredients I have never ingested before.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    lynn1982 wrote: »
    I also want to reiterate the potential that youare having an allergic reaction to something you have introduced into your diet after cutting out gluten. I've been gluten free for a few years now (and I don't recall any "detox" symptoms from it, but maybe there were), however, recently I ate some Glutino brand gluten free pretzels and had an intolerance reaction. I normally don't consume such heavily processed foods, but someone gave me a box at work. To make a long story short, I had the worst case of vertigo that I've had in a long time and then a horendous migraine. I finally looked at the super long list of ingredients and sure enough there was yeast extract (MSG) in them... So, I'd look at what else you are eating or eating instead of gluten products as things like hives sound more like an allergic reaction. Just my two cents.

Legally, any company including Glutino cannot post the term gluten free on their product if there is MSG in it. Also MSG must be labelled separately in any product without the label 'gluten free.' But it is still possible that you had a reaction to the yeast extract, although it is not MSG. Gums used to hold GF products together are also a big cause of allergic-type reactions/sensitivities.