Hello - Introductions

Options
HatherM
HatherM Posts: 404 Member
Hi all,

It's nice to see some people joining the challenge & the group...

I'm Heather, 34 from North Wales, UK.

I love walking/hiking, that's my favourite form of exercise. I do add in some strength and yoga, when I can too.

Reason for taking up the challenge: The last couple of years my OH & myself have really gotten into walking/hiking. Unfortunately due to life, work & studying it's been very inconsistent, so this year I thought I'd join the challenge to keep us focused and give us something to aim for, whilst also encouraging us to keep looking for new exciting walking adventures :)

We have an Instagram account of our walking pictures

Replies

• mustb60
    mustb60 Posts: 1,090 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Hi all!
    I love walking as a tool to de-stress and exercise. Currently my personal challenge is to cover 100 miles in January. I think this group suits me for a long term goal. Hope this group remains active! :)
  • Blind_Pilot
    Blind_Pilot Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    hi guys!! I'm Kellie from South Wales. I joined up to this challenge as a way to help me to get into walking. Living in Wales there are so many different walks to go on and feel I'm missing out!! I dont drive tho, so have to rely on other people to get me to these places !! I climbed Pen-Y-Fan last year and loved it and can't wait to do it again!! At the moment tho my walks are having to fit in around work, so just struts around the beach for now!!
  • HatherM
    Options
    I climbed Pen-Y-Fan last year and loved it and can't wait to do it again!!

I'm doing Pen Y Fan in a couple of weeks, when we come down to South Wales for my OH's birthday... Meeting up with a school friend too & of course paying a visit to Penderyn, to sample some of Wales' finest whisky/vodka & gin :)
  • Blind_Pilot
    Blind_Pilot Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    HatherM wrote: »
    I climbed Pen-Y-Fan last year and loved it and can't wait to do it again!!

I'm doing Pen Y Fan in a couple of weeks, when we come down to South Wales for my OH's birthday... Meeting up with a school friend too & of course paying a visit to Penderyn, to sample some of Wales' finest whisky/vodka & gin :)

oh its amazing!! went with a couple of friends who dont do any exercise at all!! cant wait to do it again!! next time i do it i wont be hungover tho!!
  • HatherM
    Options
    To help me remember my walks I've started to blog them - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/HatherM

I'm only going to be blogging weekly about purposeful (usually circular) walks I do with my OH, typically on a Saturday, rather than a daily blog.
    In them I do link to the walk info for others use, should they wish to explore that route themselves. The accompanying pictures will be posted on my instagram - http://instagram.com/kissing_gate

Anyone else blogging their journey either on here or instagram, etc?
  • JRIV60
    JRIV60 Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Hey there fellow walkers! I am Jo and live in Tampa, FL. I started my weight loss journey several years ago by simply walking since that was the only thing I was able to do. I quickly realized that being outdoors and walking was quite therapeutic for me. I plan to log in my walks via the elliptical and walking my 2 dogs around the neighborhood. This challenge is perfect for me to keep track of how I am doing.
  • angel388
    angel388 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Hi, im Tina 44 year old from New Zealand, We have got some lovely walks and beach close by and plus its summer time here at the moment. Im excited for this challenge.
  • atrosper
    atrosper Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Ashley 28 years old from San Diego California. I've been here on MFP for just over 1.5 years, and had a fitbit for almost as long. I started with walking as far as exercise went, and on occasion would do random at home workouts. Last July I won the P90x dvd set through a healthy rewards program from work, and got through most of it. I stopped because I got busy, and then just kept putting it off for the rest of the year. I restarted it, along with more walking last week. I also just replaced my fitbit flex with a charge, because my flex died on me about a week and a half ago. Last week it was hard to get back into the swing of walking again, for two reasons. The first was because I was between fitbits, and the second was because we had El Niño rainstorms all week. Hopefully the weather is better this week so that I can get out and walking a little bit more. I'm aiming for 85 miles for January, but if I get more, that'll be great.
  • carlsoda
    carlsoda Posts: 3,412 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I'm excited to join this challenge! Since I can't run anymore I'm pushing myself to walk as much as I can. I have a fitbit and will update my mileage once a week after I get my weekly mileage from them. I count all my steps as I purposefully walk as much as I can :)
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,135 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Hi Everyone! I just found this thread so I am a little late. My name is Mary I live in Walker Minnesota. The reason that I started walking is that I was becoming a couch potato. I also recently moved to a new house that is right on the crossroads of two of the cross state bike and walking trails. I am recently retired and need something to fill my time with besides my normal exercise routine. My husband bought me a German Shepherd puppy for Christmas. He will be my walking Buddy hopefully. My husband works all the time so I don't get a lot of walking in with him.
    I use my iPhone to track my steps and miles. It shows up on MFP on my diary page. The only problem is I sometimes forget my phone when I am walking. It would be nice if we started a chat thread. And we could post pictures of where we walk occasionally.

I am glad to get to know everyone here!

Mary from Minnesota
  • HatherM
    Options
    Great to meet you all. Feel free to start a thread if you wish, once I'm back online properly I will join in too
  • NerineLuna
    NerineLuna Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I'm Nerine, 21, from the Netherlands. I've been in this group for a while, figured it was time to introduce myself.

This is my fourth year at university, and I dislike the fact that I haven't been all that active, and my study requires me to be at university pretty much from 9 to 5. So I figured just watching the amount I walk would help get me at least somewhat more active. Work my way up to running and more strenuous activity later in the year. :)

My city doesn't really have big parks or whatever that are specifically meant for taking a walk, but walking from my student appartment to campus and back, and going grocery shopping and the like on foot does add up. (Everything's in walking distance, and packing things like groceries in a backpack makes them easy enough to carry back home.)

Currently I use the S Health app that comes standard on my Samsung phone, but I'm planning on ordering a Garmin Vivosmart HR soon, for easier and more accurate tracking of both steps and other measurements I'd love to have. (It's similar to a Fitbit, although this one is also waterproof and thus suitable for swimming.)
  • HatherM
    Options
    Welcome all, Hope you're all clocking up those miles.
    I'm out of action for the foreseeable due to a foot/ankle injury, but once it's better I'll be back out there catching back up :)
  • mustb60
    mustb60 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    HatherM wrote: »
    Welcome all, Hope you're all clocking up those miles.
    I'm out of action for the foreseeable due to a foot/ankle injury, but once it's better I'll be back out there catching back up :)

Hope you get well soon dear!
  • arlenecooney
    arlenecooney Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi recently started this challenge . Hope to get as much done as possible. Weather allowing. Good luck to all involved