Get it off your chest - have you been insulted because of your weight and did you reply?

Options
2»

Replies

• Pomodori
    Pomodori Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I was going to add some older ones but had a new one today - stopped in McDonalds for my free latte and the guy behind me in the queue made a comment;
    Him - "They should put a width measurer on the door to stop fat f****** getting in here"
    Me - "Good idea, we'll do it straight after putting the anti-ars*hole lock on your front door to stop you getting out"

Wish I was that quick off the mark with witty retorts! ;-D
  • TheMrWobbly
    TheMrWobbly Posts: 2,531 Member
    Options
    Emmidoodah wrote: »
    I just don't like it when people comment about my weight, full stop. If people say , "Goodness you've lost weight!' A little voice in my head adds "...you were such a blimp before." There's just no pleasing me I suppose.

I have that when says I look smart - I'm like "So I look crap normally then?"
  • caaaath
    caaaath Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    When visiting London I got on a tube train and these two loud obnoxious American girls started talking about how disgusting fat people are and that fat shaming is a good thing while looking at me. I felt so embarrassed and upset. No need for it really. Am too shy to ever say anything back :(
  • Echo_Dan
    Echo_Dan Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I got in a disagreement with a racist idiot who decided to go straight for the fat insult. I laughed at him and told him that it clearly showed his lack of intelligence if that was the best insult he could come up with
  • TheMrWobbly
    TheMrWobbly Posts: 2,531 Member
    Options
    Old stuff now, had a discussion/argument with a "friend" on holiday which he totally was totally losing so he resorted to insults
    Him "You look like a fat pogue, you could make a whole me just from your fat"
    Me "That's not a bad idea - replace you with a mountain of fat and prevent you passing you stupid gene onto someone else"
  • Goredoll90
    Goredoll90 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I've had chavs drive past on their little bikes shouting things and whistling while I've done the school runs on a morning. I usually see them as coward and shrug it off.
    My husband's 93 year old grandfather usually likes to make a comment or two lol Last Christmas we were saying hello and he looked me up and down and said "I thought you were losing weight"
  • LosingIt2022
    LosingIt2022 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Goredoll90 wrote: »
    I've had chavs drive past on their little bikes shouting things and whistling while I've done the school runs on a morning. I usually see them as coward and shrug it off.
    My husband's 93 year old grandfather usually likes to make a comment or two lol Last Christmas we were saying hello and he looked me up and down and said "I thought you were losing weight"

Old folks are the worst, they just don't give a feck anymore lol I work as a home carer and get comments all the time, usually something like 'oh, you're a big girl'. Before Christmas, I was off work sick for a week and when I went back one of my clients looked me up and down and said 'well it didn't slim you anyway'! PMSL I don't take it to heart as they're not being malicious, their social censors just don't seem to work the best anymore.
  • miko482
    miko482 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    This is my fourth year living in the UK, though I'm originally from the US. I live near a pub, in a town with a big university population and lots of pubs. Last week after dinner I popped out of the house to run some errands. Coming down my street were two girls, one of whom said "Cow" and threw her cigarette towards me. It landed at my feet thankfully, but ffs, the negativity in here seems to be on an upsurge lately.
  • Lukdbestucan16
    Lukdbestucan16 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Qakie wrote: »
    I was out on a date and my date saw his friends after the date.They asked him if he was with me and he said " no way in hell,can you see the size of her, she ain't my type".You can imagine how I felt as I could hear what he said.

Oh God people can be terrible
  • Lukdbestucan16
    Options
    I was going to add some older ones but had a new one today - stopped in McDonalds for my free latte and the guy behind me in the queue made a comment;
    Him - "They should put a width measurer on the door to stop fat f****** getting in here"
    Me - "Good idea, we'll do it straight after putting the anti-ars*hole lock on your front door to stop you getting out"

OmG that's so mean
  • Lukdbestucan16
    Options
    miko482 wrote: »
    This is my fourth year living in the UK, though I'm originally from the US. I live near a pub, in a town with a big university population and lots of pubs. Last week after dinner I popped out of the house to run some errands. Coming down my street were two girls, one of whom said "Cow" and threw her cigarette towards me. It landed at my feet thankfully, but ffs, the negativity in here seems to be on an upsurge lately.

Terrible
  • FiNnY22
    FiNnY22 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I went on a business trip to Tokyo just before Christmas and a Japanese colleague patted my stomach and said in her best English "wow you are a fat man now"....was devastated, it was blunt because her English isnt great (although better than my Japanese) but it was the truth. I'm currently down 10 kilos.j6gyqmg01k67.jpg
  • doomlizard
    doomlizard Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    My school years were Hell, like those of every overweight goth/geek curly-haired girl out there.

Thankfully, as I've matured, all those comments have helped me develop my "I will cut you if you dare speak to me" face, and that tends to be enough. If things are getting difficult (as they did when I saw some old family friends after being at uni and gaining a lot MORE weight due to a medical condition), I make a conscious effort to put my shoulders back and lift my head, for I am a queen and I will not have peasants speak to me that way*.

*It's also important to retain your humility. I achieve this through a running joke I have with my partner, who will cover my eyes every time we walk past the bakery aisle whilst loudly screaming "YOU CAN'T BE TRUSTED".
  • julieat1960
    julieat1960 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    People can be rude no matter what you look like when I was really skinny things were no better and now i'm carrying too much weight following ill health and surgery people think they can still be rude and personal but you know something it really doesn't matter what anyone else thinks we should be doing this for ourselves and our own health and well being whether you are trying to lose weight or gain it. It's about our own journey and any support we can get here is more than welcome i'm sure. This is a great way to be accountable to ourselves.
  • paulgads82
    paulgads82 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Mate told me I looked like I'd given up. I had. So then I sorted myself out.
  • theportkey
    theportkey Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Many moons ago ....
    Went to my doctor for contraception and he said "you have sex at your size "
    Excuse me but ... I called him a wanker a walked out. Cried all the way home then changed my doctor some weeks later.
  • niblue
    niblue Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Only really from the occasional old relative that'd say something like "you've put on some weight". It does wonder what motivates them to say something like that - do they think I hadn't noticed?

Also I used to live in Greenwich and run along the Thames path and a couple of times I'd have people (usually youths) run alongside me as if trying to show up the overweight guy that's running. Fortunately I'm faster than I look so would just increase my pace and ask them if they could keep up for 5K. In all cases they had to give up pretty quickly and hopefully were embarrassed when they went back to their mates!
  • refuseresist
    refuseresist Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    FiNnY22 wrote: »
    I went on a business trip to Tokyo just before Christmas and a Japanese colleague patted my stomach and said in her best English "wow you are a fat man now"....was devastated, it was blunt because her English isnt great (although better than my Japanese) but it was the truth. I'm currently down 10 kilos.j6gyqmg01k67.jpg

Japanese culture is a bit like that and they tend to be smaller than us so their ideas of what's normal or fat etc are different