Challenges

Options
202057 Posts: 5 Member
edited March 2015 in Social Groups
Hey guys! I'm not sure how active you wanted this group to be, but I figured I'd start a discussion. What do you think your biggest challenges are? My biggest challenges are overcoming my antipsychotic weight gain and cooking on a regular basis. A lot of times, I'm exhausted and verging on psychosis when I get home from work, so the last thing I want to do is work an oven. It's also a challenge to go to the gym, as I get very anxious there.

How about you guys?

Replies

• bowserette
    bowserette Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Definitely with you on the antipsychotic. I've also never been particularly active, plus I have problems with my knees (dislocation). I also don't like walking alone for safety reasons, and my one friend who would walk with me goes at a faster pace than I can do. Also now it's hot out and I burn really easily and skin cancer runs in my family.

SO I've been trying to do yoga at home, but I'm really self-conscious so I don't like doing it when people are home. And I currently don't have enough space in my room. Plus my room stresses me out. But hey, I learned today that I break a sweat just cleaning my room, so I guess that could be a start. Two birds with one stone.
    202057 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    bowserette wrote: »
    But hey, I learned today that I break a sweat just cleaning my room, so I guess that could be a start. Two birds with one stone.

I love when that happens! You feel like you've accomplished something and you're working out. One time, I hit my steps goal just by doing chores around the house.

• SashaMaja
    SashaMaja Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    My biggest mental challenge is the depression half of Bipolar Disorder. Actually, I deal more with depression than mania these days. I, too, gained a ton of weight on meds over the years. But I managed to lose it. But now, with added physical health problems I am dealing with more meds weight gain as well as emotional eating from depression and chronic pain. Today is a particularly rough day with the depression.
  • yannirivera757
    yannirivera757 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Right now, my biggest challenge is not stress eating! Sugar is my biggest addiction, and the Seroquel does not help in those matters. Bipolar is (no pun intended) driving me crazy. This gives me something to focus on while avoiding my obsession with my mental health. I just have to be sure that I don't obsessed with this.
  • Cadara_001
    Cadara_001 Posts: 1 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    i have a downright crazy phobia of choking. About 2 years ago i was diagnosed with anxiety disorder and i spiraled into a mix of depression and agrophobia. i could barely leave my bed most days and refused to eat. now that i am avercoming this i have gained a ton of weight. there are a ton of foods that i am still too afraid to attempt to eat and the food that i can eat is mostly unhealthy. now im more overweight than iv ever been in my life but im hoping that with my new found freedom from my anxiety and comfort of having a comunity to rely on here, i can push myself to eat better and excercise.
    Baby Steps and one hurdle at a time, im staying positive ;)
  • krupskaya
    krupskaya Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hi all, this board has gone so quiet. I have schizoaffective disorder and am dealing with weight gain due to meds like lots of other people. Also my meds make me really constipated and I have to take lots of lactulose which is sugar based and quite calorific. I'd love to make new friends here so holler if you'd like to chat!
  • staceywilliams4
    staceywilliams4 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My anxiety goes thru the roof when I go to the gym, all those people looking at me.. at least that's what goes on in my head constantly. I rather work out at home, I've been using T25 to develop a foundation before trying anything to demanding.