Fruits and Veggies

Options
auntsammy88
auntsammy88 Posts: 401 Member
So I finally feel like I've got the water intake down and I'm working hard toward exercise goals. I'm also finally getting enough calcium in my diet (don't like doing too many supplements for calcium due to kidneys) and protein isn't too bad. So, my new goal is to make sure I get in my daily recommended 2 1/2 cups veggies and 2 cups fruit minimum. I've been mainly eating whole fruits with breakfast and then I get veggies and fruit with school lunch (teacher) and make sure to make a veggie with dinner. How do you get in your fruits and veggies? What are your favorites? Any aversions?

Replies

• ksmi141
    ksmi141 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're doing great! Personally, I just buy whatever is on sale, plus whatever I'm feeling every week. It keeps a good variety of colors and flavors in the house, so lots of variety in vitamins and minerals. I've really been chowing down on spinach lately, it's so healthy and goes with almost anything. Haven't had any aversions other than I can't stand the smell of steamed veggies anymore. Good luck to you!
  • placebo_mad
    placebo_mad Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Sounds good! I like eating a raw carrot as it's sweet and gives me 100% of my vitamin A. I recently bought a Ninja blender so am enjoying making different concoctions with that! I don't like the taste of milk on it's own so I love making strawberry and banana milkshakes to boost my calcium and fruit intake. Hope we all have a happy and healthy week :) x
  • LisaTcan
    LisaTcan Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I don't normally have a problem getting fruits and veggies in, I eat a serving of fruit with breakfast, a piece of fruit and greek yogurt or cottage cheese for a snack, and then always get veggies (salad, steamed veg) with lunch and dinner. I have been really craving fresh produce, which is nice! Most of my aversions are to non-healthy stuff like sweets and high fat foods.
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    I drink a smoothie every morning with a banana and 1/2 cup of frozen fruit, I eat an apple with peanut butter for a snack, then at least one veggie at lunch, orange and string cheese for afternoon snack and veggies with dinner. I love fruit!
  • syrr
    syrr Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Before all the nausea started, I had a veggie/fruit smoothie every morning, which was a great start to getting those servings in...once the nausea passes, I hope to get back into that but for now...not feeling it, yikes!
  • lynn2064
    lynn2064 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I do roasted veggies with dinner a lot of nights. Cauliflower sprayed with an olive oil mister and then roasted at 400 for 30 to 45 minutes with some garlic powder tastes amazing. I have also roasted carrots and Brussel sprouts and both add a good flavor to meals.
  • joviwan
    joviwan Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Fruits: Frozen banana in smoothie; berries mixed in w yogurt; berries or banana mixed in w oatmeal; banana cut up in cold cereal; oranges and banana just on their own. (If not obvious: bananas are a favorite!) Dried apricots, and sundried tomatoes for snacks.

Veggies: spinach/kale in smoothies; salads; broccoli or spinach/kale mixed in w scrambled eggs. Vegetable stir fry, soups and stews for lots of different bonus veggies.
  • EmmaDetermined
    EmmaDetermined Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Argh, just lost a long post I typed to reply! The main thing I wanted to add to what the others have said is that I try to get as much hidden veg into what I cook. SO I will make e.g. a chilli con carne with onion, celery, grated carrot, tomatoes, and use half meat and half red split lentils (which counts as a veg for daily intake, boosts fibre intake and reduced fat), then add the kidney beans. Then I will serve with rice and steamed vegetables (broccoli, carrots and courgette/zucchini) or salad. It is great to getting extra veg both for me and the kids.

For dessert, Greek yogurt with fruit/berries, honey and flaked almonds is delicious!
  • EmmaDetermined
    EmmaDetermined Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I had to split my post in half to prevent loosing it again...

Today I got my fruit and veg though:

Breskfast: smoothie (mango, banana, celery, lemon, apple, cucumber, orange)
    Lunch: Sweet potato, red lentil, butternut squash and carrot soup
    Pear and apple for snacks
    Dinner: Stir fried (using oil spray only) onion, carrot and courgette for dinner, with steamed broccoli (served with Thai green salmon and rice)

Then I also had a brownie, chocolate and some sweets so not all great, but at least I get my nutrients ;)
  • fit_mama30
    fit_mama30 Posts: 178 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I often eat a salad for lunch. Today I had a salad with cucumbers, tomatoes, avocado and eggs. I also almost always have veggies with meat at dinner. I have 1 smoothie a day where I throw in whatever frozen fruits we have. But honestly I have no problem snacking on fruits and veggies. I just stick to those I love the most (berries, banana, celery, cucumber, bell pepper).

I also love spaghetti squash with some meat sauce! Yummy...