Tips to increase step count?

Options
Hi! I have a Fitbit HR Charge. I struggle to get to 10k. Any advice on to increase my step count? I'd appreciate it :)

If you would like to add me, my email is Alinafshah2204@Gmail.com :)

Replies

• sheenavt
    sheenavt Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I started by increasing my weekly average by 200 steps, once I hit that number consistently, I increased by another 200 steps and so on.
  • Matt200goal
    Matt200goal Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    My little "cheat" (which isn't really cheating at all) - I also have a goal to increase my water consumption - keep a bottle on my desk, sip on it nearly continuously, and correspondingly have to go "refill & defill, so to speak" about every hour. I used to go right down the hall for it. Changed my routine to make a lap around the building, and also through our little gym to knock out a couple of pull-ups (another goal). Over the course of the day - gets me around 1500-2000 steps (& around 20 pull ups) a day that I wouldn't other wise do.

https://www.fitbit.com/user/3R4H56

• WinterSkies
    WinterSkies Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    If I have time to watch tv, I have been stepping onto and off of my Wii balance board. You can get a lot of steps in through the course of an hour show :smile:
  • AddieOverhaul
    AddieOverhaul Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I try to leave my house a bit early and I get off the bus a stop or two early depending on how much time I have before work. I also go to a bathroom a few floors up (because it's way nicer and I get steps in). Will often walk part way between places instead of taking the bus the whole way. If you have a car, I would suggest parking a few blocks away from paces and walking the rest.
  • AlphaHowls
    AlphaHowls Posts: 1,902 Member
    Options
    Don't be efficient anymore. If I am going to put away laundry, I do it one piece at a time. At the grocery store, I park far away and I do not go in order on my list like I used to. I go up and down the isles, back and forth and around. If you are waiting for something in the microwave, do laps around the kitchen counter. Things like this get more steps in a day.
  • NancyN795
    NancyN795 Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    If you're motivated to get your steps in, you gradually find ways to do it. One change I've made in my routine since getting a Fitbit is that I no longer stand in front of the sink while I brush my teeth. I pace around the bathroom, bedroom, hallway, etc. while I brush.
  • mrsloganlife
    mrsloganlife Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Always find ways to move. Park further away. Walk an extra bus stop. I set alarms on my Fitbit to vibrate every hour to remind me to get moving too.
  • helenbenzie75
    helenbenzie75 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    If I have time to watch tv, I have been stepping onto and off of my Wii balance board. You can get a lot of steps in through the course of an hour show :smile:

Love this idea!!!!! I'm so going to do this! A lot of my Fitbit friends are mums who don't work and hense walk a lot during the day. Where I am sat in an office so get a little down about my step count compared to them. I run, go to spin and attend Les Milss Body Attack and Bodystep put just can't seem to get close to them!
  • helenbenzie75
    helenbenzie75 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    NancyN795 wrote: »
    If you're motivated to get your steps in, you gradually find ways to do it. One change I've made in my routine since getting a Fitbit is that I no longer stand in front of the sink while I brush my teeth. I pace around the bathroom, bedroom, hallway, etc. while I brush.

Love this too!!
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    Walk to the farthest bathroom in the house. When we walk the dog, we take the longer route. We park at the far end of the parking lot and walk in and back. If I know I'm going to Macy's at one end of the mall, I park at the opposite end and walk the entire mall just to visit one store.

"Why sit when you can move." Keep moving and you'll get your steps in quickly.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    I do these:
    • Walk to and from work instead of going by car
    • Bring my lunch to work so I can get it eaten in less time, and spend the rest of my lunch hour walking/window-shopping
    • Put dishes away one at a time
    • Walk to the shops when I need to buy something rather than drive when I've got a long list
    • Stop whining to others to do the household chores and get off my butt and do them myself.
  • emmooney235
    emmooney235 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I've started walking laps around my living room in the evening when my shows are on. I do that for about an hour and depending on how fast I walk I can usually hit 10k before bed
  • mamaomefo
    mamaomefo Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Every time I go to the restroom, I walk extra steps, around my house. I, also, walk through the house when I brush my teeth. If I get up while watching TV, I always walk through the house instead of just going directly to do whatever I got up for. I always walk all the isles in the grocery store/ department store, even if I don't need anything down each isle. And I always go outside and walk around my yard several times, even if it's cold. Good luck
  • SierraSeb3
    SierraSeb3 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi AllyyLovesYa, sent you a FitBit Friends invite
  • bobisme49
    bobisme49 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    My little "cheat" (which isn't really cheating at all) - I also have a goal to increase my water consumption - keep a bottle on my desk, sip on it nearly continuously, and correspondingly have to go "refill & defill, so to speak" about every hour. I used to go right down the hall for it. Changed my routine to make a lap around the building, and also through our little gym to knock out a couple of pull-ups (another goal). Over the course of the day - gets me around 1500-2000 steps (& around 20 pull ups) a day that I wouldn't other wise do.

https://www.fitbit.com/user/3R4H56

I like this idea! I started doing it too, where I "take the long way" to get to the work kitchen or use a bathroom further from my desk. Parking farther from the doors, and exploring/visiting/re-routing through other floors by using the stairs also helps.
  • princessjulia59
    princessjulia59 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi, Is there a way to get our fitbit working with this site ?
  • PinkyPan1
    PinkyPan1 Posts: 3,018 Member
    Options
    I usually get 10,000 steps in by noon by either going for a 5 mile walk or walking to Leslie Sansone Walk At Home videos. I keep my laptop at my kitchen counter and I side step all day long. I walk laps in the house too.
  • NancyN795
    NancyN795 Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    Hi, Is there a way to get our fitbit working with this site ?

Are you asking how to connect your MFP account and your Fitbit account? That's pretty basic. I'd recommend reading the FAQ found in the stickies. Connecting accounts is the first thing answered. Here's a handy link: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10098937/faq-syncing-logging-food-exercise-calorie-adjustments-activity-levels-accuracy/p1
  • kamikazefreedom
    kamikazefreedom Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I jog in place anywhere I can, anytime I'm doing anything where I'd normally wait. Even if I'm walking on the street, if I feel so inclined, I'll jog but move slowly forward. Lots of steps, but little distance covered kind of thing. That way you maximize the length youre covering

Broderick.l.a@gmail.com anyone add me up! I only have one friend :(