Faster Half Marathon

Options
FitFitzy331
FitFitzy331 Posts: 308 Member
edited July 2015 in Social Groups
Sorry if this was covered in a previous discussion but I couldn't find one when I performed a search.

This year I ran my first half marathon in March, my time was 2:07:43 (9:45min/mi pace). I ran another one in June, the course was more difficult and I wasn't prepared for the weather so I didn't do as well, 2:16 and change. I also ran a 10k in May with a pace of 9:12min/mi.

I have another half in October and I really think that, with the right training, I can get sub 2 hours (~9:09min/mi pace). I have only been running 3 days a week (avg 12-18mpw) with some cross training and lifting thrown in. I plan to up it to 4 days a week with cross training and lifting still involved but taking a backseat. I've also never ran more than 13.1mi but I plan to make my longest runs closer to 16 miles for this race.

So my question is related to training, is there any training plan you'd recommend to reach a goal time in a half? I've read that for HM speed, a run longer than the half (16-18mi) would be beneficial so that's why I'm planning to do that but I was also thinking about a pure speed work day once a week? Would that help?

Any tips, personal experience, etc... would be appreciated! Thanks!

ETA: My October half is supposed to be flatter than flat, which is why I think I can really hit a PR on this course.

Replies

• cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    At the point you are, THE BEST way to get faster is simply to run more. I bet you'll go sub-2, easily, with 4 days of running and mileage in the 30-35mpw range. Remember, you don't want your long run to be more than 50% of your total weekly mileage maximum (less is better, but one or two weeks is unlikely to cause major problems on their own). I, personally, would max out around 15mi for a HM. First, runs about 15-16mi put an extra strain on the body that takes longer to recover from and starts to interfere with the rest of your week, especially if you're not used to it. Second, as a question of time rather than distance, the added benefits of running over 2.5hrs dimish significantly. (IMHO, longer runs are good mental training and leg-strength training for marathons, but as far as aerobic endurance and HMs go, I wouldn't risk the extra inflammation and injury risk).

Don't increase mileage, frequency, and intensity at the same time. Add a day, get used to that for a couple weeks, then start building mileage. Incorporating some hills into your regular running route is a subtle way to add some speedwork without the heightened injury risk of running faster in brief spurts.

But seriously. I am quite confident you can break two hours simply by increasing your weekly mileage.
  • FitFitzy331
    Options
    Thanks @cheshirecatastrophe I live in a rather hilly area so all of my runs incorporate hills right now. I've been slowing down up hill to keep my breathing and heart rate in a comfortable area, maybe I'll try to keep my pace consistent at least one day a week to make that more like speedwork instead?

Thanks for your input!
  • Carrieendar
    Carrieendar Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    If you haven't gotten the endurance side of the training, speed work will probably make you slower in the half because, while it will, indeed, help you run faster, you won't be able to maintain that for the 13.1.

I would stick to getting mileage into lower and then higher 20s for a while and then into the 30s. I think that alone will give you sub 2. Then next cycle add speed.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I agree with what has been said. You probably already know this, but you should not try to run your long runs at or near your goal race pace. Keep the pace slow for these runs and maybe do a tempo run once a week where you throw in 2-3 miles at or slightly faster than your goal pace so you know how that feels.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Running up to 16 miles would probably help because then you'll have 13.1 as something less than the biggest, scariest distance you've ever done. I think that right now, rather than speed it would be more important to just increase mileage to 25-30 mpw and have at least one longish run midweek (maybe 5-7 miles, if you don't already do this). I found both with HMs and fulls that at least partially normalizing the distance makes it much easier to wrap your head around and push through on race day.

Also since you mentioned you live in a hilly area, I don't think dedicated speedwork won't be crucial. A lot of people incorporate hills to help with speed, and you're doing it daily, so you're good to go! ;) Instead of speedwork, maybe try to do the second half a bit faster than the first half, or try for a speedy final mile or two on a longer run. Then you'll have more confidence in your finishing endurance when your race rolls around.
  • snowflakesav
    snowflakesav Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    More miles. Gradually add a few more miles. You can't pull your speed up from the top by running faster in training. Put in additional easy miles. The hills are doing wonders for strength and aerobic base

Your pace is pretty impressive for someone running under 20 miles a week. Nice!
  • Jodiec92
    Jodiec92 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I'm in a similiar situation atm, I completed my first HM last month with a time of 2 hours, 11 mins and want to sign-up to another HM taking place in September and aim for sub 2 hours. I currently only run 3x per week, so I think I will add in another day and increase my mileage (going off the comments here).

When increasing mileage; is it best to add an extra few miles onto my 5 milers or add more days with shorter runs?

• FitFitzy331
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I noticed the trend in responses ;) I'll add the extra day of running, slowly increase my mileage and not add in a specific speed day. BTW during the peak weeks of my training for my previous races, I did reach the mid to high 20s for mileage but it hasn't been consistent. I'll also work on adding in tempo runs into my training. Thanks again!!

@Jodiec92 I don't know if this helps at all, but during my race training, my long run gets longer almost every week and my mid week runs slowly get longer as well. This time, I plan to keep my normal 3 days (M,W, Sa) then add in Thursday of shorter mileage but still as another day to add some in.
  • djscavone
    djscavone Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    FitFitzy331 - how did you do? Did you get sub 2 and by how much?
  • FitFitzy331
    Options
    I wish I did! I actually came down with a cold two evenings before the race. I still completed it (note profile pic) because my parents came to watch me run. But it was a rough one. I have high hopes for this year though! My first race this year is the HM where I have my PR so I'm hoping to cut the time off of that one and get the sub 2 that I can't wait to see.